According to Deadline Hollywood, the news was completely unexpected considering all four of the show's big stars -- Teri Hatcher, Felicity Huffman, Marcia Cross, and Eva Longoria -- had signed on for two more years, and creator Marc Cherry had publicly stated he wanted the series to run for nine seasons.
But that's exactly what NBC did in early October 2009 to drama series 'Southland.' The gritty cop show was looking to head into its sophomore season, riding higher critical acclaim than ratings.
'Nip/Tuck,' which co-starred Julian McMahon, Dylan Walsh and Joely Richardson, will have lasted an impressive 100 episodes by the end of its run (the 100th episode wrapped shooting on June 12). But according to the LA Times, fans won't get to see the big farewell until 2011, as the final season has been split into two parts (cue the stress wrinkles).
Still, McMahon promises a good ending.
Hear that sound -- a nearly inaudible rumbling coming over the horizon? Everyday it is getting louder and louder. Soon, the stampede that is the return of scripted series back from the depths of the WGA strike will overrun our televisions and computer screens, bringing overwhelming joy to our lives.
Okay, that statement may be a little flowery, but the sentiment is still there. After a very long dry period a good many of our favorite comedies and dramas are returning to the television landscape. We've had a taste of it these last few weeks with the return of shows like The Big Bang Theory, How I Met Your Mother, Dirt, The Riches and Smallville. That was just a preview of what is to come. Over the next few weeks we will see the return of The Office, Scrubs, Ugly Betty, all of the CSIs, Battlestar Galactica, and Lost, among others.
Also, there's still time to enter the "Which show gets canceled first" contest, with an awesome BeyondTV HD PVR setup. But enter quickly, as the clock is ticking for some of these shows already!
Make sure you read the full rules at the original post and also post your guess in a comment to that post (not this one). You'll have to make sure you don't duplicate another person's guess, so choose carefully -- you only get one shot at it.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Reign' Episode 2.20 and 2.21 Photos: Mary Questions Everything After a Bittersweet Discovery
- 'Bones' Episode 10.16 Photos: The 206th Episode Will Name All 206 Bones in the Body
- 'NCIS' Episode 12.22 Photos: The Team is Surprised to Discover Gibbs' New Friend
- 'Orphan Black' Postmortem: Co-Creators on [Spoiler's] Death, Team Hendrix's 'Suburban Madness' and More
- 'Orphan Black' Recap: Everyone Wants the Original Samples
- More From BuddyTV
- Daytime Emmys: The Winners Are....
- Mentalist DVD Sneak Peek: Who Was 'Scared' About Jane/Lisbon Hook-Up?
- Good Wife Sneak Peek: Kalinda Pays Alicia a Visit, Ends Up in Tears
- Quotes of the Week From Scorpion, S.H.I.E.L.D., Wendy Williams and More
- Cecily Strong's Best Zingers From the White House Correspondents' Dinner
- More From TVLine
- 2015 Daytime Emmy Arrivals Red Carpet
- Hologram Stephen Hawking Consoles One Direction Fans With Multiverse Theory
- The Daytime Creative Arts Emmy Award Winners: A Roundup
- The Best Zingers From Cecily Strong's White House Correspondents' Dinner Speech
- 'Luther the Anger Translator' Assists Obama at White House Correspondents' Dinner
- More From ET