According to CNN, the driver, a producer on the series, was driving the cab back to storage after filming on Friday night when he struck a 61-year-old man in the Downtown East Side district of Vancouver.
The victim died in a local hospital after the accident.
"Our thoughts and prayers are with the victim and his friends and his family," Andrew Burnstein, president of Castlewood Productions Inc., producer of the Canadian version of 'Cash Cab,' said in a statement. "My heart also goes out to the driver of the vehicle, a member of our technical staff, who is shaken and devastated by this tragic accident, as is our entire team."
Hosted by Wayne Brady ('Let's Make a Deal'), the show entertained with musical numbers (from Brady and Marie Osmond), had touching tributes to Oprah Winfrey, Susan Lucci and Lifetime Achievement Recipients Pat Sajack ('Wheel of Fortune') and Alex Trebek ('Jeopardy') and, if you're a soap fan, you saw some surprising wins including a tie for the directors of 'The Bold and the Beautiful' and 'The Young and the Restless.'
Read on to get the scoop from your winners and see how why the Father's Day-win was especially poignant for one trophy recipient.
That's what happened to Ben Bailey when he was temporarily missing in action after he and 'Cash Cab' took home the Emmy for Outstanding Game Show Host.
It was Bailey's second win in a row, but the first that he almost missed entirely. He could have played it off completely if he'd wanted to as he had a great line ready when he finally did make it to the podium.
"Thank you very much," he said taking the Emmy. "Well everybody, I couldn't get a cab. What can I say?"
For those of you seeking to vacation in New York City, in the event that you hail a cab while in town you may get a chance to win a couple of thousand dollars and have Ben Bailey at your driver. 'Cash Cab' has been renewed for a sixth season.
Admittedly I'm a bit biased about this news as I was once a contestant on the show before coming to TV Squad. In the event that you do get on the show next season, please leave Ben Bailey a nice tip when the ride is done as I forgot to.
Hopefully the producers will give a little variety to the show, such as when they did 'Cash Cab at Night.' One recommendation would be to use other cities as locations for the show rather than New York City, and I say this as someone who loves New York. Other cities have clubs and restaurants that would love to sponsor the concept.
The game itself is pretty cool, particularly if you like trivia. It simulates riding to various NYC touristy locations (Empire State Building, South Street Seaport, etc.) while being asked questions. This is different than the live show which uses bars and restaurants.
Sadly, the game does not offer cool 3D graphics of Ben Bailey. It does, however, ask various trivia questions while simulating a cab ride. There is a map showing your current location and length of time to your destination, so there is a time limit. Like it's live counterpart, the game also allows a shout out and to phone a friend, but the friend has to be selected from one of the built-in friends within the game.
There is a free version of the game available in the iTunes App Store if you want to try before you buy. Due to my personal connection, I decided to splurge the $2.99. My only regret in my experience playing both the live game and the one for the iPhone is that I forgot to tip the cab driver for a great journey.
Do you know the answer to every question before they fly out of the host's mouth faster than a New York cabbie hurling a curse word out of his window during bumper-to-bumper gridlock?
Then prove it. Put your iPhone where your mouth is because Discovery and Capcom have released a new Cash Cab game app for the device.
But, since this is about television, I'm going to focus on what I'm thankful for in television and TV-related kind of things. We might share some items on the list, we might not. While the times might not be great for financial dealings, it's a wondrous time for television geeks like you and me. Or, maybe it's just me. So, exactly what am I thankful for? Read on.
(10PM, VH1) 1st season finale
Ray J's mama told him none of the three finalists were right for him. That isn't stopping him from making plans to meet their families tonight however, though one of the ladies throws a wrench in his game when she abruptly leaves.
For Ray J's sake, here's hoping it's tattoo-faced Danger ... not saying she's crazy, but Brandy's little bro might want to consider whether or not he's willing to live with the chance that he'll wake up in the middle of the night with Danger standing over him, a knife in one hand and his junk in the other.
Meanwhile, the other two finalists: Cocktail and Unique, meaning it's all but certain that Ray J's gonna need another season.
I don't know about anybody else, but I find this list to be amusing. I can understand why The Colbert Report and South Park (particularly with its counterculture theme) engages their respective politics, but Doctor Who? Cash Cab? I'm a fan of all of the above (I've even been a contestant on Cash Cab) and my politics lean left. Have I been watching the wrong shows?
I'd like to think that while certain shows attract a certain political demographic, it doesn't mean that the content leans one way or the other or that it is intended for that demographic. Okay, maybe The Colbert Report, but that's it.
After the jump you will find the nominees, listed in alphabetical order, for The Jeopardy Award, along with a poll for the Reader's Choice Award. Both winners will be announced next week.
- At 8, CBS has a new Power of 10.
- NBC has a new hour-long Most Outrageous Moments at 8, then a new Last Comic Standing.
- At 9, TBS has two new episodes of House of Payne.
- Discovery has a new Mythbusters at 9, followed by a new Cash Cab.
- There's a new Lost Worlds on History Channel at 9.
- At 9:30, HGTV has a new Design on a Dime.
- At 10, FX has a new Rescue Me.
- Food Network has a new Dinner: Impossible at 10.
- TCM has The Maltese Falcon at 10.
- Sci-Fi has the season finale of Mind Control with Derren Brown at 10.
- Also at 10: MTV has a new Real World.
Check your local TV listings for more.
- At 8, ABC has a new The Next Best Thing, followed by a new American Inventor and the series finale (?) of Traveler.
- FOX has a new So You Think You Can Dance at 8.
- There's a new Most Outrageous Moments special on NBC at 8, then new episodes of Last Comic Standing and Dateline.
- TBS has two new episodes of Tyler Perry's House of Payne starting at 8.
- Also at 8: Court TV has a new Most Shocking, then new episodes of Forensics Files, L.A. Forensics, Haunting Evidence, and Psychic Detectives.
- At 9, PBS has a new American Masters, profiling David Hockney.
- Sci-Fi has a new Ghost Hunters at 9, then a new Destination Truth.
- BBC America has a new Footballer's Wives at 9.
- At 10, FX has a new Rescue Me.
- Discovery has two new episodes of Cash Cab at 10.
- History Channel has a new Modern Marvels at 10.
- There's a new Top Chef on Bravo at 10 (repeated at 11).
- At 10:30, MTV has a new "Where Are They Now?" episode of Jackass.
Check your local TV listings for more.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'The X Factor' Predictions: Who Will Go Home from the Final 4?
- 'The X Factor' Season 3: Top 4 Performance Rankings
- 'Grey's Anatomy' Interview: Sarah Drew On the 'Incredibly Shocking' Winter Finale
- 2014 Golden Globe Nominations: 'Brooklyn Nine-Nine,' 'House of Cards' and More New Shows
- [Videos] 'Scandal' Fall Finale Preview: Will Cyrus Help Sally?
- More From BuddyTV
- 'Arrow' fall finale post mortem: Felicity and Oliver, Roy's transformation and Slade's revenge
- 'Vampire Diaries' EP talks Damon's revenge, Delena's future
- 'Grey's Anatomy': Sarah Drew teases April's wedding
- 'The Price Is Right': Bob Barker celebrates his 90th birthday with game show return
- Kelly Clarkson's heading to 'Nashville,' y'all
- More From Zap2it
- Golden Globe Nods 2014: The 30 Biggest Snubs!
- Video: The Next Christmas Light Fight Brings Out a Twerking Santa, Extra Strobes and 'Lagniappe'
- Exclusive First Look: 11 Scandal-ous Gift Ideas
- Golden Globes: House of Cards, The Good Wife, Candelabra and Breaking Bad Lead Noms; Parks & Rec, Brooklyn, Spader and Maslany Score Nods
- Exclusive Reign Sneak Peek: Catherine Begs Mary to Save Francis' Life – But Will She?
- More From TVLine