Casper The Friendly Ghost
Saturday mornings. For nearly thirty years this small window of time was considered paradise for millions of children across America. With the parents snug in their beds, and a big bowl of sugary cereal precariously placed on the carpet, it was the only time -- long before the invent of 24-hour cable networks -- that children's shows ruled the airwaves. No karate/ballet/piano/soccer lessons back then; parents were lucky to get their kids to go for bathroom breaks during that period of time.
For many it's a time of very fond memories. Some recall radio favorites like Sky King and The Lone Ranger going from their imagination to the small screen. Others remember their first introduction to Space Ghost or Scooby-Doo. Still others, like myself, recall the latter days of Saturday morning programming with shows like The Smurfs, Dungeons & Dragons and Saved by the Bell.
Since my doctor recommends I talk about cartoons at least six times a day, I thought I would mention this awesome collection of Casper the Friendly Ghost cartoons. There are many other videos to be found on the site, and some of them are NOT SAFE FOR WORK, so click ahead with caution and/or lustful excitement, depending on where you are at this exact moment.
Like Matt Groening, I have trouble not referring to Casper as "Casper the Little Dead Boy," since that's essentially what he is. As cute and adorable as he was, you've got to admit a cartoon based on the spirit of a deceased child is somewhat morbid.
The first Casper cartoon, "The Friendly Ghost," was created for Famous Studios in 1945, and you can watch it both here and here. The "friendly ghost" wouldn't be given a name, however, until the first Casper comic book was published in 1949.
[via Boing Boing]
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Glee' Episodes 6.3 and 6.4 Photos: A Love Triangle for Kurt
- 'Glee' Season 6 Premiere Photos: Everyone Comes Back to McKinley
- 10 Unforgettable Moments from 'The Amazing Race' Season 25
- Steroline: 9 Pivotal Moments of Stefan and Caroline's Relationship on 'The Vampire Diaries'
- 'Revenge' Episode 4.11 Photos: Will Grief Unite Emily and Victoria?
- More From BuddyTV
- Kevin Hart Hosting First SNL of 2015
- TVLine's Performers of the Week: Laurie Metcalf and Stephen Colbert
- Ratings: Amazing Race Ticks Up With Finale, Splits 3-Way Demo Win
- Mysteries of Laura Adds Boardwalk Alum Meg Steedle as Series Regular
- Darlene Love's Final Late Show Visit: Watch Her Full Performance
- More From TVLine