Saturday mornings. For nearly thirty years this small window of time was considered paradise for millions of children across America. With the parents snug in their beds, and a big bowl of sugary cereal precariously placed on the carpet, it was the only time -- long before the invent of 24-hour cable networks -- that children's shows ruled the airwaves. No karate/ballet/piano/soccer lessons back then; parents were lucky to get their kids to go for bathroom breaks during that period of time.
For many it's a time of very fond memories. Some recall radio favorites like Sky King and The Lone Ranger going from their imagination to the small screen. Others remember their first introduction to Space Ghost or Scooby-Doo. Still others, like myself, recall the latter days of Saturday morning programming with shows like The Smurfs, Dungeons & Dragons and Saved by the Bell.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'The Bachelorette' Season 11: Ranking the 11 Most Memorable Meltdowns
- 'Teen Wolf': 17 Freaky Moments from 'Required Reading'
- 'The Vampire Diaries' Interview: Paul Wesley on Stefan and Caroline, the Heretics and More
- 'Teen Wolf' Interview: Dylan Sprayberry Talks More Comedy for Liam in Season 5
- 'RHONYC' Star Ramona Singer on Cheating Husband: He's 'Dead' to Me
- More From BuddyTV
- Chelsea Handler Unapologetic About Burning E! Bridge on Way to Netflix
- TVLine Items: Diane Keaton Joins HBO Drama, Lilyhammer Axed and More
- Sense8 Season 2: EP 'Cautiously Optimistic' About Pickup
- Game of Thrones: 8 (Mostly) Plausible Ways Jon Snow Can Be in Season 6
- Lost Alum Terry O'Quinn Joins ABC's Secrets and Lies for Season 2
- More From TVLine
- Chelsea Handler Talks Leaving E! for Netflix: 'I Had to Get My Brain Working Again'
- Jeremy Renner Says He Has Resting ‘Murder Face'… and Proves It!
- Jen Welter Is the NFL's First Ever Female Coach and You Have To Hear Her Story
- Macklemore Reveals He Suffered a Drug Relapse Last Year
- Christina Applegate Turned Down 'Legally Blonde' and Totally Regrets It: ‘What a Stupid Move'
- More From ET