Tom Hanks delivers one of the best performances of his career in 'Cast Away,' airing tonight on TV. Hanks dropped a whopping 50 pounds for the role, and the end result is enough to entice any fan of 'Lost.'
Also airing this week: an Oscar-winning turn from Denzel Washington, as well as a royal cast, featuring Gene Hackman, Angelica Huston, Ben Stiller and Gwyneth Paltrow in Wes Anderson's 'The Royal Tenenbaums.'
See more of our flick picks of the week after the jump.
If you're looking to watch a light and easy movie this week, bet on 'Ocean's Eleven,' the 2001 remake starring -- among others -- George Clooney, Brad Pitt and Matt Damon.
Also airing this week is the political drama 'The Queen.' The film won an Academy Award for its star, Helen Mirren, and earned an additional five nominations, including Best Picture. Catch it when it airs on Bravo before this year's Oscar nominations are announced on Thursday.
See more of AOL's flick picks of the week after the jump.
This version is going to be a new take on the old story of a man who sets sail from England, his ship is wrecked in a storm and he's thrown overboard winding up alone on a deserted island where he has to fen for himself. In time, he is joined by an escaped slave whom he names Friday. Ben Silverman, NBC's head honcho, described the proposed series in this way: "It's part MacGyver, part contemporary morality tale about race and personal discovery, part comedy and part Castaway meets Survivor." As envisioned, this Robinson Crusoe will need to be clever indeed. It's going to keep the time period 1650's, but when Crusoe finds Friday, he'll presumably be treating him as if it were today with regard to race relations.
"This episode contains some animated nudity. Viewer discretion is advised."
Is it wrong that those words make me happy? I mean, I'm not talking that Hentai crap that Greg watches (sorry, inside joke, but the four people that read my column that would get that are probably cracking up) but something about knowing that Fox now has to warn people that you're about to view a cartoon butt so they won't be offended, is so redonkulous that it just makes me giggle. Yes, I did just make up a word. What'cha gonna do. So this is the infamous "hurricane episode" that Fox pulled from being the season premiere to allow the nation some "time to heal". Do you really think one week made a difference? On with the show.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Sons of Anarchy': 17 Shocking Moments from 'The Separation of Crows'
- 'Nashville' Recap: Will Rayna Choose Career Over Romance?
- 'American Horror Story: Freak Show' Recap: Edward Mordrake's Hellish Carnival Gets a New Freak
- 'Criminal Minds' Recap: No Treats for These Kids on Halloween
- 'Arrow' Recap: The Devil Returns to Starling City
- More From BuddyTV
- Le Carre Series Starring Hugh Laurie, Tom Hiddleston Lands at AMC
- Ratings: black-ish Rises, Stalker and Middle Slip, CW Dramas Eye Upticks
- Slednecks Star Defends MTV's 'Crazy' New Series — Plus: An Explosive Clip
- Revenge Sneak Peek: Victoria Loses Her Cool During David's Big TV Interview
- Reign Wedding Drama: Jonathan Keltz Talks Leith's Future With(out) Greer
- More From TVLine
- Shemar Moore Says He's Getting 'Hanky Panky' on 'Criminal Minds'
- Apple CEO Tim Cook: I'm Proud to be Gay
- Ricki Lake Files for Divorce from Second Husband Christian Evans
- If You Must Be a Country Cliché for Halloween, Maddie & Tae Can Show You How
- Is MTV's 'Slednecks' Their Craziest Show Yet? Watch The Cast Take a Shot of Blood!
- More From ET