The network has a new show premiering June 8 that looks to grab some of that audience. 'Pretty Little Liars' sounds like a cross between 'The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants,' 'Desperate Housewives,' and 'Gossip Girl.' But it also looks pretty good. Here are four reasons why this show will be a hit.
More casting news after the jump.
Today on TV Squad Daily: embarrassing TV star (and TV viewer) moments.
- Brooke Shields was temporarily trapped in her trailer on the set of Lipstick Jungle.
- Rob Morrow, Chad Lowe, and Fisher Stevens had to be rescued by ski patrol from a mountain at Aspen.
- Simon Cowell claims he'll quit American Idol if Sanjaya Malakar wins... and some viewers believe he actually might.
(*Warning: Spoilers from this week's episode ahead*)
Will President Palmer II survive the assassination attempt? Are former President Logan's intentions noble or sinister?
As we ponder those questions, here are four more observations from 24's 11th hour to consider:
Quote of note: "He reminds me of you. You can see it in his eyes," Jack Bauer told his sister-in-law Marilyn of her son Josh, his (*ahem*) "nephew." Jack made these remarks while gingerly stroking the new widow's cheek.
Chad Lowe dished with TV Guide's Margy Rochlin about his slimy political operative character on 24, Reed Pollock, the one who last week ominously pressured President Palmer II's chief of staff to provide him with the president's itinerary so Palmer could be "removed," maybe as early as tonight.
Three things I learned from the interview:
1) Lowe doesn't know for whom Pollock is working.
2) Lowe thinks Pollock, who's widely believed to be concocting a presidential assassination plot, is "well intended, if maybe misdirected."
3) Lowe used to be on the same ice hockey team as Kiefer Sutherland.
(S06E06)*Warning: Spoilers ahead*
At times, I felt as though I'd accidentally clicked over to an old episode of The Sopranos, what with all the references to stick by "the family" and the importance of family loyalty . . . all references made mere minutes after one family member had tried to suffocate another, after members of the same family drew weapons on one another and one member demanded the execution of both his brother and father.
There was even some good, old fashioned, familial taunting. Insults were hurled like calling one brother "simple minded" and later harassing him for his failure to adequately protect his wife from a terrorist.
When you think of the FOX network what's the first thing that comes to mind? Perhaps the fact that its been on the air for over 20 years now, or maybe that it's the home to The Simpsons. Yes, those things are certainly true. Yet, when I ponder about FOX the first thing that comes to mind is . . . Good Lord, they certainly know how to pimp their most popular shows!
Case in point is that small action-adventure program named 24. We already got two full nights of double episodes last week to kick off the season. Yet, the network isn't done
shoving it down our throats giving fans more Jack. So, they have scheduled another two-hour event for Monday, February 12th. This, of course, is conveniently placed smack-dab in the middle of sweeps. The event will cover the hours between 1 p.m. and 3 p.m. and co-stars Chad Lowe and Powers Boothe.
By the way, just because the network pimps its most popular shows to death doesn't mean they don't know what they're doing. The two-day, four-hour launch of 24 that premiered last week exceeded the fifth season premiere by 14 percent for all viewers.
Other notable actors joining the cast this season include Peter MacNicol, Regina King, and James Cromwell. Steamy Eric Balfour will also return this season. FOX is going to post a first look at season six online later this month, we'll let you know when that happens.
Back in January, the lovely and talented Anna Johns reported that Oscar-winning actress Hilary Swank and husband Chad Lowe had agreed to separate, but were willing to get through the tough time and come out a stronger couple. Apparently this didn't happen exactly as planned.
According to a spokeswoman for Swank, she and Lowe have decided to initiate divorce proceedings after eight years of wedded bliss. A lawyer for the couple said Swank and Lowe have made a joint decision to divorce and that they still remain friends and have the utmost respect for each other.
Ms. Swank, who has won Oscars for performances in the movies Boys Don't Cry and Million Dollar Baby was a regular on Beverly Hills, 90210 back in the late 1990's. Mr. Lowe, brother of actor Rob Lowe, played the AIDS-infected Jesse McKenna on ABC's Life Goes On back in the mid 1980's and has had appeared in many other TV series since, including ER, Without a Trace and Law & Order: SVU.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Quantico' Episode 5 Photos: The Trainees Go Undercover for the First Time
- 'Scandal' Episode 5.4 Photos: Fixing Olivia's Image Problem
- 'ANTM' Recap: A Model Is Welcomed Back, Then Sent Packing Again
- 'The Amazing Race' Recap: The Teams Become Gauchos in Argentina
- 'How to Get Away with Murder' Episode 2.5 Photos: Who Can Asher Trust?
- More From BuddyTV
- Shia LaBeouf Arrested in Texas for Public Intoxication
- Why Vin Diesel Is Serious About Stunts
- Calista Flockhart Can't Get Over the 'Supergirl' Buzz
- Gigi Hadid and Mom Yolanda Foster Adorably Hold Hands While in NYC With Joe Jonas, Bella Hadid and The Weeknd
- Watch Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson 'Hit the Quan' in Flawless Dance Video
- More From ET