The latest television series to get its own comic book adaptation is HBO's 'True Blood,' according to IGN. The comic will be published by IDW Publishing and will involve input from show creator Alan Ball. The article does not indicate that Charlaine Harris, the creator of 'The Southern Vampire Mysteries' series from which 'True Blood' was created, would be involved.
'True Blood' is not the first television franchise to get a comic book adaptation. Far from it. The 'Buffy' Season 8 comic written by creator Joss Whedon is still one of the biggest sellers on the shelves.
IDW Publishing practically specializes in adapting television franchises with 'G.I.Joe,' 'Transformers,' 'Star Trek,' 'Doctor Who,' and 'Angel.' Some of those are movie adaptations of television shows that got expanded into comics, but you get the idea.
With its fantasy premise and gothic atmosphere, 'True Blood' should work well as a comic book. It's a good way to tell different and possibly bigger stories without worrying about such things as budget limitations.
[via Pop Candy]
When last we left Sookie and Bill, he was ready to propose before suddenly vanishing while Sookie was in the little girl's room. Of course, those that follow 'The Southern Vampire Mysteries' by Charlaine Harris know what's going to happen next. Or do they? Perhaps Alan Ball will decide to take the franchise in a different direction.
Seriously, 'Twilight' fans can keep their sparkly Robert Pattinson and their Team Edward or Team Jacob. 'The Vampire Diaries' is barely palatable. 'True Blood' is the best vampire series on the air since 'Buffy the Vampire Slayer' and for those that don't agree I will roshambo you for it.
What aspect of the new season are you most looking forward to? Which characters do you want to see more? Are you on Team Bill or Team Eric?
With the season two finale right around the corner -- "Beyond Here Lies Nothin'" airs Sunday at 9 PM ET on HBO -- it's a great time to catch up with series creator Alan Ball (pictured, with Michelle Forbes, Rutina Wesley, and Deborah Ann Woll at the TCA awards in August). Read on for his thoughts on the future of Maryann, a Sookie/Bill pairing, and even a few spoilers on season three.
If you want to look at the full transcript of the wide-ranging interview, click here. The edited version starts after the jump. Oh, and read AOL TV's coverage of the show, as well.
(S01E02) "Angelina Adopts a Vampire baby." - Cover of a tabloid
After all the comments I got about last week's review, I feel that I have to address some issues.
The first one is the books that this show is based on. I understand that they are popular and without the series there would be no show but I haven't read them nor do I have any intention of doing so. My job is to review the television show True Blood and unless they introduce a character named Charlaine Harris, this is the last time you will see that name in my review.
HBO's True Blood, starring Anna Paquin and Stephen Moyer, is set to premiere on Sept. 7 at 9 p.m. Here's the newly released poster for it. Makes you want to dig into a jar of strawberry jam, doesn't it?
Based on Charlaine Harris' Southern Vampire novel series, the show follows the world of vampires set in small-town Louisiana. They're able to co-exist with humans by drinking a Japanese-manufactured synthetic blood. (Well, what fun is that?!)
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Big Brother 16' Week 9: Cody's 2nd HoH Photos
- 'Pretty Little Liars': The 20 Most Shocking Moments from Season 5A
- 'So You Think You Can Dance' Live Blog: The Top 4 Dance
- 'America's Got Talent' Live Blog: Half of the Top 12 Revealed
- Meet the Castaways on 'Survivor: San Juan del Sur -- Blood vs. Water'
- More From BuddyTV
- Mean Girls' Daniel Franzese Lands Looking Role — Who Will He Court?
- Ratings: Tyrant Ends on Down Note, Final Chelsea Hits 2-Year High, PLL Up
- Deadwood Revival: There's 'Hope'!
- Fargo Boss Drops New Season 2 Intel: 'There Are a Lot of [Spoiler]'
- FX Orders Zach Galifianakis Clown Comedy Baskets to Series
- More From TVLine
- Meet David Muir, the Man Taking Over ABC's 'World News'
- Meet the Designer Behind the Best Fashions on Emmy Night
- A Winning Couple! Aaron Paul's Wife Reacts to Emmy Speech, Talks 'Kind Campaign'
- Prince Harry Has a New Girlfriend
- Luke Bryan Makes 4-Year-Old Autistic Boy's Dream Come True!
- More From ET