For those of you attending Comic-Con in San Diego, my hat is off to you. After looking at the schedule for the opening day, Thursday, July 24th, it is a wonder that your eyes don't grow glassy and that vein on the side of your temple doesn't throb with all of the events listed for that day. For those of you not attending, you may be breathing a sigh of relief that you won't have to decide what to attend and what to miss.
Granted, we here at TV Squad are only going to Comic-Con to cover the television-related events. Still, there are quite a few of them going on Thursday, starting when the convention opens and ending as the next day creeps into the night. Panels cover the gamut: public television shows, show revivals, anniversary panels about shows that have been revived, and Robert Smigel. So, if you are going, bring some comfortable shoes, plenty of snacks, and a ton of questions.
If you are not going, but are still interested in seeing what's going on in San Diego, here is a list of TV-related events for the first day of the convention. If you are interested in the complete list of events you can go to Spout blog for Thursday's full Comic-Con schedule.
Though not the most obvious of translations, PBS has nevertheless transformed NPR's hit radio series Car Talk into an animated series. The show, dubbed Click and Clack's As The Wrench Turns, premieres July 9th at 8 p.m. ET and is set to run in two-episode blocks for five weeks thereafter. Click and Clack, the on-air alter egos of Tom and Ray Tappet, are as self-deprecating off-air about the series as they are on air. "I hope that people look at it mercifully," said Ray, "It's lame enough that people will laugh at some of the lame stuff."
The brothers are the heart and soul of the radio show, which has become a huge hit for NPR, but the TV show is looking to spotlight a more expanded roster of characters. And while the two will be playing animated versions of themselves, and those versions will also host an auto talk show, the similarities really end there. You really have a more family-oriented animated show the creators say is more akin to Family Guy or The Simpsons than the radio show.
Today on TV Squad Daily:
- Click and Clack of Car Talk are coming to TV... only they'll be animated.
- Eva Longoria really likes to brag about not freaking out on her wedding day.
- Simply because I wanted to say "waggiest tail" out loud: Simon Cowell is going to judge a charity dog show.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Orphan Black' Interview: Co-creators Discuss Delphine's 'Conundrum' and the Threat Rachel Still Poses
- 'Orphan Black' Season 3 Premiere Recap: Where is Helena?
- Exclusive Interview: Joel Courtney on What Makes CW's 'The Messengers' Different
- 'The Amazing Race' Recap: The Race Turns Beastly in Africa
- 'The Vampire Diaries' Episodes 6.19 and 6.20 Photos: Damon, Elena and the Cure
- More From BuddyTV
- Quotes of the Week From Gotham, Game of Thrones, iZombie and More
- The Voice Outtakes: Reba Coaches 'the Poot' Out of the Top 12
- Jonathan Crombie, Gilbert Blythe in Anne of Green Gables, Dead at 48
- Eye Candy Cancelled at MTV
- Post Mortem: Orphan Black Boss on Helena's Pal, Mean Delphine & More
- More From TVLine