Grace has been covering the story on her eponymous primetime show since two-year old Caylee Anthony was reported missing in mid-2008.
Her intense, often controversial, scrutiny of the case produced record ratings for CNN's Headline News and may also have influenced the other TV networks' coverage as they acted in the wake of her escalating ratings.
'The Wrap' reports that Grace's single-minded pursuit of the "truth" about Caylee Anthony's death put HLN in second place during June, the 29-year-old channel's best ratings month ever. And it also helped the network challenge Fox News in the coveted adults aged 25-54 demographic during primetime.
A few days ago, Oscar winning director James Cameron got extra chatty with a Hollywood Reporter, er, reporter and let loose on anti-global warming zealots and Glenn Beck (and no, that last sentence wasn't meant to be redundant). It got so heated and ridiculous that it made me wish 'Celebrity Deathmatch' was still on the air and not in the claymation format.
Beck, of course, heard the comment in which Cameron claimed Beck had once referred to him as the "Antichrist". Beck dove into his archives, found the rather un-Christian reference he made towards the 'Avatar' director and post a full response to Mr. Cameron on his Wednesday show.
Of course, that's not the whole story.
CNN has been looking for ways to prop up their sagging ratings in the never-ending cable news wars by becoming a network that actually just delivers news as opposed to "from-the-hip," unsubstantiated opinions, as long as you don't count their constant monitoring of their viewers' Twitter feeds. Apparently they are so desperate for a format change that they have consulted a former ESPN producer to suggest ways to revamp their style.
Her attorneys are trying to get a federal judge to keep cameras from recording her deposition in a wrongful death suit filed against her, or at least keep the videotape from leaving the courthouse and ending up on television. She is being sued by the family of Melinda Duckett, a mother who appeared on her CNN Headline News show in 2006 and got grilled by the host following the disappearance of her 2-year-old son Trenton. Duckett killed herself on the day the interview was scheduled to air.
Attorneys said they want to protect Grace from any undue embarrassment. I'd say they're already too late.
It's honestly riveting. Not only is he airing his frustration at the red tape hindering the process, but he seems to be approaching Katrina levels of pissed off.
There are times when I'm ashamed to be a part of the media. The 48 hours after Michael Jackson's death was just such an epoch. I chose that last word carefully because the endless, maudlin, self-congratulatory coverage the major news networks wallowed in following Jackson's death was as long-winded as it was embarrassingly dramatic.
While that coverage is sure to continue throughout the memorial services, unavoidable custody and estate battles and forthcoming autopsy reports, none of that will compare in sickly sweet sensation to what CNN, Fox News and the others lowered themselves to just following the singer's death.
We told you earlier that Larry King is celebrating 50 years in broadcasting (there's even a DVD set coming of his best Larry King Live interviews), and now King has been interviewed in the Miami Herald about his years in the business. King (who's really name is Larry Zieger, something I didn't know) says he's not a big fan of people like Nancy Grace and Bill O'Reilly. On the former, he has this to say:
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- Best 'Supernatural' Quotes from 'Girls, Girls, Girls'
- 'Bones' 200th Episode Photos: The Gang Goes to the 1950s
- 'Bones' Episode 10.9 Photos: Does Brennan Have a Problem with Aubrey?
- 7 Thanksgiving Episodes To Escape Your Family Drama -- Available to Stream Now
- 'Supernatural' Recap: The Truth About Rowena is Revealed
- More From BuddyTV
- Dancing With the Stars Recap: Did the Right Couple Win? Plus: Top 5 Moments and Season 19 Finale Pics!
- Faking It Finale: EP Explains Karma's Dream, Liam's Sacrifice and More
- Mindy Project Recap: How Ma Got Her Groove Back
- Degrassi Surprise: Spinner Returns — and He's Still Working at the Dot!
- Awkward's Ashley Rickards Talks Jenna's Choice, Lacey's Surprise and More Season 4 Finale Twists
- More From TVLine
- 'Dancing With The Stars' Season 19 Winner: Who Took Home the Mirror Ball Trophy?
- Paul Rudd's College Yearbook Photo Will Blow Your Mind
- 9 Reasons Mariah Carey's ‘All I Want For Christmas Is You' Is the Best Holiday Song of All Time
- Rihanna Teases New Song From Upcoming Eighth Album
- Could Your Kid Be a Star? ET Goes Inside An LA Acting School For Kids
- More From ET