Robert Smigel started airing his animated "TV Funhouse" segements on Saturday Night Live back in 1996. In 1998, he created a short called "Conspiracy Theory Rock" which poked fun at corporate ownership of television networks, and was especially scathing when it came to NBC and its parent company, General Electric. The segment aired only once and was never seen again. According to NBC, however, it wasn't pulled due to content, but to allow for a second Backstreet Boys performance when the episode was re-aired. Well, it is hard to say no to the Backstreet Boys, that's for sure. Anyway, you can check out the short here. Or alternatively, watch this Backstreet Boys video. Like NBC, I know it's often difficult to choose between the two.
Update: I left the link, but as of right now it appears to be broken. Sorry, guys.
[via Cartoon Brew]
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- The 10 Best Looks of 'Project Runway' Season 13
- 'Reign' Episode 2.5 Photos: Will Greer Get Married?
- 'The Vampire Diaries': 21 Jaw-Dropping Moments from 'Black Hole Sun'
- 'Project Runway' Season 13: Ranking the Top Looks of 'Finale, Part 2'
- 'The 100' Episode 2.2 Photos: Octavia Confronts the Grounders
- More From BuddyTV
- Damian Lewis, Paul Giamatti to Lead Showtime Drama Pilot Billions
- Scorpion Sneak Peek: NCIS: LA's Hetty Helps Walter's Team Clean Up Nice
- TVLine Items: Jim Parsons Voicing Elf, Haven's WWE Reunion and More
- Marvel's Agent Carter Adds Nikita Alum
- Did Boardwalk Hit Casting Jackpot? Missing DemonDean? Can Elsa Bundle Up? Palicki-est TV Week? And More Qs!
- More From TVLine
- Nick Jonas Throws Shade at Justin Bieber During 'Guess the Bulge'
- Casper Smart: The Mastermind Behind Nicki Minaj's 'Anaconda' On Life After JLo
- Jennifer Garner Speaks Out Against Sexism in Hollywood
- Usher Admits: 'I'm Not Happy' With Justin Bieber's Choices
- Kelly Osbourne Gets Tattoo In Memory of Joan Rivers
- More From ET