October 9, 2015
by Julia Ward, posted Jan 26th 2007 8:36PM
Oprah's Book Club is back. Like a phoenix from the ashes of the James Frey debacle, Oprah has returned, and this time she's got a veritable saint by her side in the form of acclaimed actor and activist Sidney Poitier. When your book club's burned by a guy who made a bunch of crap up, what better way to go than with the autobiography of a person who has lived most of his adult life in the public eye. It also doesn't hurt that the guy's golden. Short of some cantankerous ghostwriter coming forward, Poitier and his autobiographical tome The Measure of a Man are beyond criticism. He also lacks any particular literary pretenses so he's not going to pull a Jonathan Franzen, who requested that his book The Corrections be struck from the Winfrey record.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'The Vampire Diaries' Episode 7.4 Photos: The Heaven and Hell Ball
- 'How to Get Away with Murder' Recap: Sexual Foibles
- 'The Vampire Diaries' Season 7 Premiere Recap: Who Are the Heretics?
- 'Project Runway' Recap: The Production Crew Get Makeovers
- 'Heroes Reborn' Recap: Butterflies in the Arctic
- More From BuddyTV
- How to Get Away With Murder Recap: 'Tonya, You Negligent Slut!'
- Scandal Recap: White House Frown
- Heroes Reborn Recap: Suicide Squad
- Sleepy Hollow Recap: Secrets and Spies, Plus: The Witnesses as Roomies
- The Originals Premiere: EP Talks Klaus and Cami's Hurdle, Hayley's Surprising Return and That Twisted Prophecy
- More From TVLine
- Two Looks One Star
- D.A. Requested Bobbi Kristina Brown's Autopsy Be Sealed for Fear of Potential Flight Risk, Harm to Witnesses
- What is Lupus, and Why Would Selena Gomez Get Chemo for It?
- Someone in a Dinosaur Costume Totally Aced This 'American Ninja Warrior' Course
- Nick Cannon's Kids Took Him to Chuck E. Cheese's for His 35th Birthday and It's Adorable
- More From ET