November 21, 2014
by Julia Ward, posted Jan 26th 2007 8:36PM
Oprah's Book Club is back. Like a phoenix from the ashes of the James Frey debacle, Oprah has returned, and this time she's got a veritable saint by her side in the form of acclaimed actor and activist Sidney Poitier. When your book club's burned by a guy who made a bunch of crap up, what better way to go than with the autobiography of a person who has lived most of his adult life in the public eye. It also doesn't hurt that the guy's golden. Short of some cantankerous ghostwriter coming forward, Poitier and his autobiographical tome The Measure of a Man are beyond criticism. He also lacks any particular literary pretenses so he's not going to pull a Jonathan Franzen, who requested that his book The Corrections be struck from the Winfrey record.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- Best ?Bones? Quotes from 'The Puzzler in the Pit'
- 'The Vampire Diaries': 17 Shocking Moments from 'Fade Into You'
- 'Project Runway: All Stars' Season 4: Ranking the Looks of 'Wear Your Heart on Your Sleeve'
- 'Castle' Episode 7.9 Photos: Castle Investigates the Death of his Favorite Action Hero
- 'Gotham' Interview: Sean Pertwee and EP on Alfred the 'Enabler' and the 'Crumbling' City
- More From BuddyTV
- Marry Me Promotes Dan Bucatinsky
- Tina Fey's Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt Comedy Series Moves to Netflix
- MTV's Eye Candy: Victoria Justice's Stalker Speaks in First Official Teaser
- Sleepy Hollow Fall Finale Photos: Abbie, Ichabod & the Gang Prep for War
- Glee Wedding Scoop: Which Two Couples Are Saying 'I Do' in Season 6?
- More From TVLine
- Christian Bale Takes You Behind the Scenes of 'Exodus: Gods and Kings'
- Billy Gilman Talks Coming Out in Country Music, Support from LeAnn Rimes and Lucy Hale
- 'Once Upon a Time's Jennifer Morrison Talks Heartless Hook, the 'Worst' Spell Ever and More!
- Get Reese's Super-Feminine Look for Your Thanksgiving Gathering
- This Woman's Impressions of Celebrities Stuck in Traffic are Dead-On
- More From ET