October 25, 2014
by Julia Ward, posted Jan 26th 2007 8:36PM
Oprah's Book Club is back. Like a phoenix from the ashes of the James Frey debacle, Oprah has returned, and this time she's got a veritable saint by her side in the form of acclaimed actor and activist Sidney Poitier. When your book club's burned by a guy who made a bunch of crap up, what better way to go than with the autobiography of a person who has lived most of his adult life in the public eye. It also doesn't hurt that the guy's golden. Short of some cantankerous ghostwriter coming forward, Poitier and his autobiographical tome The Measure of a Man are beyond criticism. He also lacks any particular literary pretenses so he's not going to pull a Jonathan Franzen, who requested that his book The Corrections be struck from the Winfrey record.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Grey's Anatomy' Episode 11.6 Photos: A Visit from April's Mom
- 'Constantine' Series Premiere Recap: John Constantine Makes a Big Entrance
- The 10 Best Looks of 'Project Runway' Season 13
- 'Reign' Episode 2.5 Photos: Will Greer Get Married?
- 'The Amazing Race' Recap: One Team is Accused of Playing Dirty
- More From BuddyTV
- Constantine: Will You Go to Hell and Back for NBC's New Drama?
- Grimm Season 4 Premiere Recap: Trubel-ing Times
- ABC's Manhattan Love Story Is Fall TV Season's First Cancellation
- BSG's Tricia Helfer Suits Up as Harvey's Foe (and Lust Interest)
- The Originals Adds Everwood Alumna Debra Mooney as Werewolf Matriarch
- More From TVLine
- Renee Zellweger and 7 Other Stars Who Dramatically Changed Their Look
- One Direction Parties With Danny DeVito in ‘Steal My Girl' Music Video!
- Flashback: Before 'Honey Boo Boo' Got Famous
- Halle Berry vs. Britney Spears: Inside Look at Their Sexy Lingerie Lines
- Happy 30th Birthday Katy Perry! Watch Her Greatest ET Moments
- More From ET