April 27, 2015
by Julia Ward, posted Jan 26th 2007 8:36PM
Oprah's Book Club is back. Like a phoenix from the ashes of the James Frey debacle, Oprah has returned, and this time she's got a veritable saint by her side in the form of acclaimed actor and activist Sidney Poitier. When your book club's burned by a guy who made a bunch of crap up, what better way to go than with the autobiography of a person who has lived most of his adult life in the public eye. It also doesn't hurt that the guy's golden. Short of some cantankerous ghostwriter coming forward, Poitier and his autobiographical tome The Measure of a Man are beyond criticism. He also lacks any particular literary pretenses so he's not going to pull a Jonathan Franzen, who requested that his book The Corrections be struck from the Winfrey record.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Once Upon a Time': 20 Moments of Emma and Regina's Road Trip From 'Lily'
- Best 'Game of Thrones' Quotes from 'High Sparrow'
- Bruce Jenner's Docuseries Gets Premiere Date, 'Kardashians' Stars Show Support
- 'The Originals' Episode 2.20 Photos: Will Klaus Make a Deal with Dahlia?
- 'Revenge' Recap: Death Doesn't Stop Victoria from Trying to Bring Down Amanda
- More From BuddyTV
- TVLine Items: Strike Back Premiere Date, an Americans Return and More
- Good Wife Finale Scoop: Kalinda Will Be Back (and Fans Will Be Very Happy)
- Lip Sync Battle: Watch Michael Strahan (and Special Guests) Serve Up 'Poison'
- The Returned Sneak Peek: Nikki Tells Julie the Dark Truth(s?) About Victor
- Grey's Anatomy's Ellen Pompeo: I'm 'Excited' for Meredith's Life After Derek
- More From TVLine
- Move Over, Channing Tatum! Joe Manganiello's 'Magic Mike XXL' Poster Is Everything
- Sophia Bush 'Devastated' by Death of Ex Dan Fredinburg in Nepal Earthquake
- Mariah Carey Disses Nick Cannon in New Break-Up Track? 'Boy You Actin' So Corny Like Fritos'
- Ashton Kutcher and Mila Kunis Dance and Cuddle at Stagecoach
- Legendary Actress Jayne Meadows Allen Dies at 95
- More From ET