We are just a scant five days and handful of hours away until the calendar page turns over and we are in 2008. As usual, whenever a new year comes screaming and shouting out of womb of the old one changes abound. Nowhere does that seem more prevalent than in the world of television. Not only will we see a slew of mid-season premieres popping up as early as January 1st, but two cable networks will be changing as well.
The first change actually starts on New Year's Eve. That is when Noggin and The N become two separate cable networks. Both networks will expand to a 24-hour schedule of programming, with Noggin remaining commercial-free and on its current channel position. The N, which is home to the very popular Degrassi: The Next Generation will be relocated to another channel. You will want to speak to your local cable company about its new location before you go through withdrawal.
Today on TV Squad Daily:
- Don't worry, says NBC. Jay Leno will be out, Conan will be in, in 2009.
- The pending writer's strike could mean a surge in demand for reality tv. That is the only reason I can think of why they might be giving Coolio his own reality show.
- Kid Rock won't be charged for that "brawl" he was in at the VMA's.
- Ellen DeGeneres will be the first celebrity "briefcase babe" on Deal or No Deal.
- Court TV will change its name January 1st.
If you haven't heard, Catherine Crier's show has not been renewed by Court TV, so she is leaving the network. But not before getting in a few digs.
In a speech to lawyers in Florida, Crier says she is sad to hear that Court TV (which is changing its name, by the way) is no longer going to cover trials on TV. It will be a web-only feature. Instead, the network is changing its entire lineup, and Crier says it will be "a lot of explosions, a lot of car chases, a lot of cops, a lot of beach babes."
I'm surprised that the network is getting rid of their trial coverage, since it was one of the features that really made their network stand out from anyone else.
Court TV is not only changing its name, it's going to change the programming as well.
The network has announced that the network will have a new name starting on January 1, 2008. No decision has been reached yet on what the new name will be, but the network will introduce a ton of new reality shows. Oh, sorry, they're not "reality" shows, they're "real-life series" watched by "engagers."
Among the new shows: Tiger Team, about security experts; The Real Hustle, about con artists and scams, and The Room, which will focus on police interrogations. They are also developing a series of shows with The Smoking Gun web site. As for Nancy Grace (she's the one smiling on the right), she'll be part of the new daytime lineup, but her show will be shortened a bit to make room for the new show from Star Jones.
Wow, Nancy Grace and Star Jones on the same channel during the day. Enjoy!
Probably not. But that's what's happening, as she has signed up to host CourtTV's Hollywood Heat, taking over for Lynne White. She joined the network in July 2005, after her profile at NBC was reduced during 2003 and 2004. She will still co-host Banfield & Ford: Courtside with Jack Ford. But, don't worry, librarian-lovers: she'll still be wearing those signature horn-rimmed frames. That alone might get me to watch.
[via Indianapolis Star]
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Grey's Anatomy' Episode 11.6 Photos: A Visit from April's Mom
- The 10 Best Looks of 'Project Runway' Season 13
- 'Reign' Episode 2.5 Photos: Will Greer Get Married?
- 'The Amazing Race' Recap: One Team is Accused of Playing Dirty
- First Casualty of the Fall 2014 TV Season: ABC Cancels 'Manhattan Love Story'
- More From BuddyTV
- Constantine: Will You Go to Hell and Back for NBC's New Drama?
- Grimm Season 4 Premiere Recap: Trubel-ing Times
- ABC's Manhattan Love Story Is Fall TV Season's First Cancellation
- BSG's Tricia Helfer Suits Up as Harvey's Foe (and Lust Interest)
- The Originals Adds Everwood Alumna Debra Mooney as Werewolf Matriarch
- More From TVLine
- Renee Zellweger and 7 Other Stars Who Dramatically Changed Their Look
- One Direction Parties With Danny DeVito in ‘Steal My Girl' Music Video!
- Flashback: Before 'Honey Boo Boo' Got Famous
- Halle Berry vs. Britney Spears: Inside Look at Their Sexy Lingerie Lines
- Happy 30th Birthday Katy Perry! Watch Her Greatest ET Moments
- More From ET