This episode went along pretty much as I expected, with most of the people I expected getting through to the top 12. Until the wild card round, that is, when the kids and I were screaming at the TV because of the judges' dismal ineptitude at picking people to come back! But first, let's see what happened up to that point. That's my version of "After the break..."
The show started with the group singing Katy Perry's "Hot and Cold," which was one of my favorite songs until I heard them sing it. But even with the awkward dance moves, they seemed to be having fun, especially Nate, so that's what matters, I guess.
I thought most of them did a good job last night, but I was really blown away by Lil Rounds. Really, just give her the Idol crown right now. I can't imagine that she won't go far in the competition, though she reminds me of LaToya London from a few seasons ago, and she didn't get as far as I had hoped. So we'll see what happens with Lil.
Like many breakout reality TV stars, Sanjaya Malakar was able to successfully steal the spotlight from his more worthy opponents, gliding by on personality and charisma. He's living proof that a winning grin and luscious locks can sometimes take you a lot farther than actual talent.
Highlights from a week's worth of posts
- The mystery of American Idol's "crying girl" was solved
- Heather Mills' leg did not fall off on the Dancing With the Stars premiere
- Say it ain't so: could How I Met Your Mother be on the verge of cancellation?
- Prison Break got renewed, but maybe under a new name
- Battlestar Galactica also got renewed, but it might not be good news.
- To spoil or not to spoil? Isabelle asked the question
- Locke's dad tried to kill him on Lost. Harsh.
- Liz defended Sanjaya's teenybopper fans. Her readers were not pleased
- Wanna be on a reality show? Joel had the answer
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- TVLine Items: JAG Vet to Scorpion, Amy Adams' SNL Promos and More
- Covert Affairs Finale Sneak Peek: Can Calder Keep Auggie Safe?
- The Goldbergs Enlists Charlie Sheen to Reprise His Ferris Bueller Role
- Matt's Inside Line: Scoop on Arrow, Once, NCIS, The 100, Vampire Diaries, Gotham, Bones, H50, Castle and More
- Glee Season 6: Puck, Sam, Santana Get Promo Pics — But What About Tina?
- More From TVLine
- Madonna Compares Album Leak to 'Rape' and 'Terrorism'
- Demi Lovato: The 'Revolutionary' Kim Kardashian Helped Me Accept My Body
- This 'Star Wars' Themed Light Show Sets the Bar for All Future Christmas Light Shows
- Jim Bob Duggar Dismisses Change.org Petition: 'They Won't Succeed'
- Anna Kendrick Makes David Letterman Blush with Furry Sex Toys and Ambien Stories
- More From ET