Now thanks to the people at Funny or Die, now I know. And knowing is half the battle.
The site released some cutting room floor footage from their recent "Presidential Reunion" PSA directed by Ron Howard featuring some funny, improvised dialogue between Dana Carvey and Will Ferrell as the presidential father and son.
There are plenty of great TV collections being released all the time now, bringing back classic TV, shows that had short runs, and current favorites. You know about most of the big shows, so here's a mix of more popular and some maybe less-heralded collections.
House, M.D.: Season Five: This was a breakout season for the show, where the secondary characters really came to life and House broke down and finally had to face his addictions and personal failings. Season five may wind up being a pinnacle for the series as a whole.
As someone who has been a fan of Colbert for about eight years, I'm here to educate, here to spread the good Word. It is the duty of a good fan -- especially one with too much time on her hands -- to change the minds of people that see Colbert just as the TV blowhard who happens to share his name.
They really should release this show on DVD. As Adam noted before, it really is quite amazing how clever and ahead of its time it was, and equally amazing the caliber of talent that worked on the show in front of the camera and behind the scenes.
After the jump are several videos of Steve Carell and Stephen Colbert on The Dana Carvey Show. They've gone their separate ways, but if you include their work here and on The Daily Show and as Ace and Gary on Saturday Night Live, they could have been the next great comedy team. And then they would have gotten sick of each other and broken up and not spoken for 20 years and then reunited by Jon Stewart on a telethon.
I think The Onion had it right: The Dana Carvey Show, which was canceled in 1996 after a whopping six episodes, was ahead of its time and too surreal for folks used to Saturday Night Live, but it also offered, for many, a first glance at writers and actors who eventually helped define today's reigning style of comedy: Stephen Colbert, Steve Carell, Louis C.K., Dino Stamatopoulos, Dave Chappelle and Charlie Kaufman.
I've been yelling at myself a lot lately for never watching The Dana Carvey Show when it aired back in 1996. Seriously, I sit alone in my apartment screaming at myself. Sometimes I even throw myself down the stairs. My apartment doesn't actually have stairs so I fling myself from my couch several times. I do this because every time I find a clip of that show I can't believe how hysterical it is. What in the world was I doing back then? I was in college for crying out loud, I had all the time in the world to watch TV. It's not like I was studying.
If you click here, you can watch a clip from The Dana Carvey Show called "Skinheads from Maine" featuring Dana himself and Stephen Colbert. I think it proves that the show had a little something for everyone, even racist New Englanders.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Orphan Black' Interview: Co-creators Discuss Delphine's 'Conundrum' and the Threat Rachel Still Poses
- 'Orphan Black' Season 3 Premiere Recap: Where is Helena?
- Exclusive Interview: Joel Courtney on What Makes CW's 'The Messengers' Different
- 'The Amazing Race' Recap: The Race Turns Beastly in Africa
- 'The Vampire Diaries' Episodes 6.19 and 6.20 Photos: Damon, Elena and the Cure
- More From BuddyTV
- Quotes of the Week From Gotham, Game of Thrones, iZombie and More
- The Voice Outtakes: Reba Coaches 'the Poot' Out of the Top 12
- Jonathan Crombie, Gilbert Blythe in Anne of Green Gables, Dead at 48
- Eye Candy Cancelled at MTV
- Post Mortem: Orphan Black Boss on Helena's Pal, Mean Delphine & More
- More From TVLine
- Selena Gomez Poses for Mario Testino's 'Towel Series'
- Nick & Vanessa Lachey Post First Pic of Baby Brooklyn
- Miley Cyrus Wears Nipple Pasties to Joan Jett's Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction
- 2015 ACM Awards: Star Sightings
- 'Orphan Black' Postmortem: Scorpion Psychosis, Mystery Elevator Clone & More Answers Revealed!
- More From ET