Welcome to TV Squad Lists (formerly 'The Five'), a feature where each blogger has a chance to list his or her own rundown of things in television that stand out from the rest, both good and bad.
TV usually gets the writing profession wrong. I've never understood why, since shows and characters are written by writers themselves. Maybe they think they have to dumb it down for the general audience. That's why you have writers like Jessica Fletcher, who just sits down at the typewriter and the words come out fine and she mails it off to her publisher. This happens all the time on television. And have you ever noticed that when you hear the writing that a writer character has done on a show it's almost always terrible? Why is that?
After the jump are six writer characters on TV that were done correctly.
Humor columnist and blogger Dave Barry is known for many things: His Pulitzer Prize, his ill-fated campaign against low-flow toilets and, most recently, for blogging about one of his favorite TV shows, 24.
While his blog is often populated by a variety of odd news tidbits, on Monday nights, it's filled with Barry's off-beat comments about 24. Barry recently fielded five questions from TV Squad about his 24 habit:
TV Squad: Why did you decide to start live-blogging about 24? You don't regularly blog about other TV shows on your web site.
Dave Barry: It was gradual. I started watching the show a couple of years ago with some friends, and then I started mentioning it on my blog, and then it seemed natural to start blogging about it while it was going on.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- Once Upon a Time Season 4 Casts Shameless Star as Frozen's Hans; John Rhys-Davies to Voice Rock Troll
- First Look: Gracepoint Detective Issues a Stern Warning to Danny's Killer
- Matt's Inside Line: Scoop on NCIS, Arrow, Criminal Minds, Supernatural, Longmire, Castle and More
- 'Ship Shape: How Fave Pairs From Major Crimes, Defiance, Witches, Falling Skies and Other Shows Are Faring
- TVLine Items: Fringe Fave Goes Orange, Ferb Gets Lost, Vikings Trailer and More
- More From TVLine
- Who Will Be Taking It All Off for 'Hair' at the Hollywood Bowl?
- Donald Sterling Loses Court Case, Sale of Clippers Can Go Forward
- Kaley Cuoco-Sweeting and her Husband's Romantic Weekend at the Saloon
- Michael Sorrentino ‘The Situation' Sentenced to Anger Management
- EXCLUSIVE! Channing Tatum Teases 'Magic Mike 2' Will Be 'Very Different'—Find Out How!
- More From ET