Stossel, whom I recall as a staunch consumer reporter and a man who liked to tear down hypocrisy at every turn, has been a regular at ABC News for nearly three decades. Now, he's moving on to Fox Business Network where he'll have a weekly show, and Fox News where he'll make frequent guest appearances.
But this move to bring in Ellen DeGeneres, a talk show host, actress and comedian, screams of another move in the world of TV commentating. A move that seemed well reasoned enough but went down in a glorious ball of blue and orange flames on live television.
Comedian and long time TV fixture Dennis Miller's very short stint as the color commentator for ABC's Monday Night Football screams of similarities louder than that guy in the Edvard Munch painting watching the Orson Welles sex tape. Great, Miller's voice is back in my head again. Thanks cha cha, I mean, Ellen.
But do you think of Dennis Miller? If not, maybe you should. ON March 31, Standing Room Only Entertainment will release Dennis Miller: The HBO Specials, and there are seven of them on three discs, from 1988's Mr. Miller Goes to Washington to 2006's All In. Over the span of those seven hours, you can track the king of the obscure reference as his politics changed, from a few early swipes at Ronald Reagan to his lean a bit more right after 9/11.
When Dennis Miller took over doing the color commentary on Monday Night Football several years back, fans of the show either loved him completely or hated him completely. You either really dug his arcane references and humor or you sighed a lot and wondered why he was in the booth (for the record, I don't really like football, so I didn't mind him in the booth at all). Now sports fans can relive those glory days!
Let's give Dennis Miller credit: the man isn't afraid to try new things. He's been a comedian, an actor, a sports announcer, a political pundit (of sorts), a talk show host, and a radio show host.
Now, he's going to host a game show.
On August 7, Miller will host Grand Slam on the Game Show Network, a new series that will test players' knowledge in math, verbal skills and current events. The twist is that all of the contestants were big winners on other game shows. Jeopardy! champ Ken Jennings will appear on the new game show, along with past winners of Who Wants to Be a Millionaire.
"Showdown at Justice: Hereunder referred to as the 'Nonvoluntary Lawyer Disemployment Program' vis a vis certain events on or around 7 December 2006 (C.F. Appendix B, Codicil IX, Paragraph 7)": Alberto Gonzalez isn't doing so hot. So, what else is new?
When I was watching last night's Mets-Reds game on SportsNet NY, the camera showed Dennis Miller, Ron Howard, and Tom Hanks taking in the game, which was played in Cincinnati. The announcers mentioned they were taking a ballpark tour, and showed the massive luxury bus they were using. Well, this article confirms that. Turns out Hanks decided to take his buddies on a trip to seven parks to help celebrate his 50th birthday. They may not make all seven parks, it turns out, but they've already gone to three and will go to a few more.
Anyway, considering I try to go to a new-to-me ballpark every year (this year was U.S. Cellular in Chicago and Miller Park in Milwaukee), I absolutely love the fact that these superstars -- well, two superstars and Miller -- are doing this.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Sleepy Hollow' Season 2 Cast Photos
- 'Under the Dome': 17 Shocking Moments from 'Revelation'
- 'Mistresses' Poll: Should Karen Have Chosen Jacob Over Anna?
- [Video] 'Bachelor in Paradise' Preview: Lots of Tears, Hookups and Regrets
- 'Real Housewives' Roundup: A Possible Divorce, Another Arrest and a Broken Friendship
- More From BuddyTV
- Downton Abbey EP Talks 'High-Stakes' Season 5, Mary's Long Road to the Altar
- Graceland Sneak Peek: With Paige Missing, Is Mike Too Hot to Handle?
- Sneak Peek: Almost Royal Finale Serves Up a (Macabre?) Music Video
- Covert Affairs Casts Lynn Collins as 'Formidable' Russian Agent
- TVLine Items: Ken Jeong Plays Himself on MTV, James Garner Tribute and More
- More From TVLine
- John Stamos Gives Beach Boys Fan The Surprise Of His Life
- How Well Do the 5 Seconds of Summer Boys Know Each Other? ET Puts Them to the Test
- Cops Called on Justin Bieber Six Times In Two Days
- Bradley Cooper Explains 40 Pound Weight Gain
- 14-Year-Old Michelle Williams is Adorable on the Set of 'Lassie'
- More From ET