December 20, 2014
by Jason Hughes, posted Apr 14th 2010 5:40AM
(S06E12) You can certainly tell that we've turned the corner on this final season of 'Lost.' Suddenly, the alpha-verse and beta-verse seem to be on a collision course with one another, and I'm very intentionally using that expression. With Desmond on the loose in both universes now, things have gotten a lot more interesting, even if I'm still not 100% clear what either of his motivations are.
As expected, the beta-verse Hurley is every bit the financial success with Mr. Cluck's that the alpha-verse Hurley could never quite manage. What was alpha-Hurley's deep-rooted desire, if I'm going to continue that theory, that the beta-verse fulfilled? He said many times that he didn't want the millions he won in the lottery, but I think it was his never-ending plague of bad luck that he really wanted to get rid of. Trying to shed his winnings was just a means to his desired end.
by Jason Hughes, posted Apr 7th 2010 3:07AM
(S06E10) Knowing this was a Desmond-centric episode, I expected us to take a major step forward in understanding the beta-verse, perhaps even experiencing it in a whole new way. Ever since the explosion at the hatch, Desmond seems to experience everything a little differently, and he's always there with his finger on the truth, even if he has no idea what that truth was.
Parallels between alpha- and beta- were running rampant throughout this episode. Fisher Stevens even returned in the beta-verse, to serve as Desmond's guide as he did once before, when Desmond was trapped in time. We got beta-appearances by Charlie, Daniel Faraday, Charles Widmore and even Eloise Hawking. Every encounter was a further step toward confusion and understanding.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- Darlene Love's Final Late Show Visit: Watch Her Full Performance
- Late Late Show: Craig Ferguson Says Goodbye With Incredible Twist Ending
- Glee First Look: A Reunion-y Season 6 — With Bonus Quinn and Karofsky!
- The Amazing Race Season 25 Finale: And the Winner Is...
- Cable Ratings: Colbert Report Ends on High Note, Covert Finale Ticks Up
- More From TVLine
- Craig Ferguson's Final 'Late Late Show' Ends With a Twist
- Watch George Clooney Turn Heads in His 'Downton Abbey' Debut!
- Kristen Bell and Dax Shepard Welcome Daughter No. 2!
- The Ultimate Binge-Watch Guide: Which TV Shows to Marathon Over the Holidays!
- ‘The Amazing Race' Crowns Season 25 Winners
- More From ET