Cast departures and changes within the 'Law & Order' franchise are are a dime a dozen these days. So much so that most fans tend not to notice when they occur. The exception is when a long-running cast member decides to step down. Fans take notice then because, frankly, there aren't too many more long-running cast members left in the franchise (except the amazingly stable group at 'Special Victims Unit.'
This time the honor goes to S. Epatha Merkerson, who plays Lieutenant Van Buren in the original 'Law & Order'. After 16 years, the actress has decided to leave the series at the end of this season.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Star Trek' Legend Leonard Nimoy Dead at 83
- 'The Amazing Race' Prediction: Which Team Will Go Home Next?
- 'American Idol' Season 14: Top 12 Girls Performance Rankings
- 'Agent Carter': What Have We Learned from the First Female Superhero Show?
- 'Kardashians' Family Secures $100 Million Deal with E!
- More From BuddyTV
- Pilot Scoop: Craig Ferguson to Lord Over ABC Comedy The King of 7B
- Once Upon a Time's Lana Parrilla Talks Regina's Clash With Team Evil, a 'Cool' Resurrection, Losing Robin and More
- Killing Jesus First Look: Jesus' Crucifixion Recreated for NatGeo
- Supergirl Casts the Heroic Helen Slater and Dean Cain in Top-Secret Roles
- TVLine Items: Enlisted Star Visits Zoo, Covert Alum Joins Dominion and More
- More From TVLine
- Watch the Exclusive Trailer for Lena Dunham's New Doc About Artist Hilary Knight
- EXCLUSIVE 'Broadchurch' Sneak Peek: 'Nothing Will Stay Hidden' in Season 2!
- Zachary Quinto & Other 'Star Trek' Alums Mourn Loss of Leonard Nimoy: 'My Heart Is Broken'
- 19 Burning Questions We Have After That Killer 'How to Get Away With Murder' Finale
- Leonard Nimoy, Spock of 'Star Trek,' Dead at 83
- More From ET