'Horrible' fans may have recognized Helberg as the villainous (and slightly damp) Moist, henchman to Neil Patrick Harris' Dr. Horrible in the original series, and as far as Helberg knows, he's in line to reappear for the sequel.
One of last years biggest online video hits, Joss Whedon's Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog, is back in the news, and in a very good way: It's been nominated for an Emmy.
Not sure where to find it on the complete list of nominees? Just search for "Dr. Horrible" and you'll find it. It got the nod in the "Outstanding Special Class - Short-format Live-Action Entertainment Programs" (a pithy name, no?) category. What's interesting is that the other nominees were all either on TV already or were offshoots of existing TV shows. Dr. Horrible was the only nominee that was born online and built its audience there (until, at least, the DVD came out earlier this year).
This could be the start of something great; the Academy recognizing online-only programming can do nothing but help make it more mainstream. But this could also be an isolated incident, since the names behind the production were so huge. What do you folks think? Think this nomination will encourage more big names to hit the internet with their pet projects?
The 42-minute internet-only musical, written and directed by 'Buffy' and 'Firefly' creator Joss Whedon, stars Neil Patrick Harris as Dr. Horrible, a would-be supervillain whose yearns to join the Evil League of Evil.
If catchy tunes, Whedon's signature brand of offbeat humor and a gut-wrenching twist of an ending sound like your kind of thing, you'll love 'Dr. Horrible.' Just be sure to watch it soon -- although the video is now available on Hulu, there's a chance that it might disappear and only be available for purchase on iTunes.
More fallout from Dr. Horrible, as machinima.com has hired Felicia Day to write a new sit-com. Of course, her work on The Guild probably had a lot to do with it as well. This is not just any sit-com though. It takes place inside a video game. Kind of implied by her employer, I know, but I think the fact that I recognize Gus Sorola on sight probably puts me in the minority.
Anyway... Lon over at Tubefilter got a chance to talk with Felicia about the new project. The short version is that she's still in the writing stage, so there is no cast at the moment. She wanted to take "archetypal characters from sit-coms and place them in a fantastical world." So long as that doesn't mean a fat stupid guy with a really hot wife, I like it as a starting point. The show is set to launch in the fall with five short episodes that will combine into one half hour pilot. Audience feedback will influence four more possible half hour segments.
Technically it is Buffy/Angel week, but all things Whedon have a way of just melding together into one big stew. So it's a fortuitous bit of timing that a trailer for Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog was released this week. For those still unaware of just what Dr. Horrible is, I think it was summed up best by Nathan Fillion in a recent interview. It's about a super-villain (Neil Patrick Harris) who falls in love with a girl (Felicia Day), and the super-hero (Nathan Fillion) who blows it for him. The super-hero is kind of a dick. And... it's a musical. I think it could be very much more than that. More on that, and the new trailer, after the jump.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Orphan Black' Episode 3.7 Photos: Will Alison Win the Election for School Trustee?
- Summer 2015's Sexiest Stars: TV's Hottest Women
- [Video] 'The Bachelorette': Did One of Kaitlyn's Suitors Fall in Love with Another Guy?
- 'Bones' Exclusive Interview: The Writers Talk Brennan and Booth's Future and a Whirlpool Death
- Did 'Kardashians' Star Bruce Jenner Undergo Sex Change Surgery?
- More From BuddyTV
- TVLine Items: Jimmy Smits Gets Down, Grace and Frankie Renewed and More
- T.J. Miller's The Gorburger Show Gobbles Up Pilot Order at HBO
- Summer TV Calendar: Hannibal, Liars, Mistresses, 105+ Other Dates to Save
- Ratings: 5th Grader, Weight Loss and America's Got Talent Return Down
- More From TVLine
- Harry Styles' $600 Facial Secret Revealed: It's All About Placenta!
- 9 Celeb Weddings We Can't Wait For
- Jenny Lewis Channels Her 'Troop Beverly Hills' Days in Music Video for 'She's Not Me'
- Should Amy Schumer Be the Next 'Bachelorette'? (Answer: Yes Please!)
- New 'Keeping Up With The Kardashians' Preview Shows Terrifying Car Crash Footage
- More From ET