I keep expecting this whole 'Eddie Murphy hosts the Oscars' thing to be a faulty meme, but now that the news is confirmed, I guess I'll have to come to grips with it. Okay -- done. After all, Murphy is one of the highest-grossing movie stars of all time, can be very very funny, and has proven he can still be funny without using swears ('Shrek'). He has been nominated for "The Statue." (And who can hold it against him if he left the theater shortly after he lost it to Alan Arkin?)
Truth is, the most shocking thing about this whole whirlwind of a story is that Brett Ratner is co-producing the Oscars. Has the Academy looked at his resume lately? What am I saying? These are the same people who thought James Franco and Anne Hathaway were the answer to their problems.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- TVLine Mixtape: Your Favorite Songs From Awkward, Shameless, Crisis, Mindy and More
- What to Watch This Weekend: Orphan Black Returns, a Devious Premiere, Salem and More
- TVLine's Performer of the Week: Jack Gleeson
- Report: Gwen Stefani Replacing Christina Aguilera on The Voice Next Season
- Shane West Previews Scary Salem's 'Sense of Urgency and Dread,' Talks Taming His Wig
- More From TVLine
- John C. Reilly Takes You Behind The Scenes Of Disney's 'Bears'
- 'Hawaii Five-0' Star Alex O'Loughlin is Married!
- 'Jesus Christ Superstar' Creators Talk Show's Creation & Controversy
- 'Good Morning America' Promotes Lara Spencer to Co-Host
- Exclusive: Lionel Richie Recalls His Amazing Chance Meeting with Marvin Gaye
- More From ET