Extreme Makeover: Home Edition
As survivors reeled from the catastrophe they got some good news from the 'Extreme Makeover: Home Edition' gang, who announced they would help rebuild homes for some of those dispossessed by the tragedy.
In what producers say is one of the largest projects ever undertaken by the reality show, 'Extreme Makeover: Home Edition' started work Wednesday on the ambitious plan to build seven houses in seven days.
'Good Morning America' host Sam Champion was on hand to reveal the names of the deserving families -- some of whom lost children in the disaster -- who will benefit from the new homes. 'GMA' will be reporting on progress throughout the week leading up to Ty Pennington's "Move the bus!" on Oct. 26.
Crow helped rebuild the family house, and then sang her song 'Everyday Is a Winding Road.' Ethan seemed to especially enjoy the music, and got up and began to dance, while mother Amy watched. Crow had this to say: "I grew up with my parents telling me there was nothing I couldn't do. ...I look at Amy and Ethan and I think -- here's a mom who's saying the exact same thing."
Powell reportedly sent the first check she earned in the U.S. to her family in Jamaica so they could purchase much-needed shoes. As a way to honor this, producers of the show surprise her with a donation to a school of Jamaican children, one of whom says this is the first pair of new shoes he's ever owned.
Watch the video after the jump.
For Cook, the plight of the young girl resonated deeply with him given his brother's longtime struggle with brain cancer. "You know, to see somebody that you care about suffer, especially with something like cancer, that's a helpless feeling. My brother got up every day knowing that he had a brain tumor. To watch him just get eaten away was heavy," Cook said.
Watch the video after the jump.
Ty said the biggest challenge for him was how polite and laid back the Brits are; he could barely get them motivated to get things done in his one week time frame. "Let's sit down to tea and talk about this," they'd say instead.
Of course, the primary difference with this one is the McSteamy v. Hurley ending; which I completely agree with. These kinds of creative initiatives help give the network an identity and give fans something to keep the shows in their minds through the summer. And there's so much more potential available here, and even on other networks to play with similar ideas. How about a game show with Dr. House competing against Dr. Bishop (Fringe)?
Earlier this month Bob reported on the arrest of Extreme Makeover: Home Edition host Ty Pennington in a drunk driving case. Back then, the Trading Spaces alum was charged with two misdemeanor counts: driving with a blood-alcohol level above the 0.08 percent limit and driving under the influence of alcohol. Last week he entered a plea of 'no contest' to the charges.
Actually, according to Frank Mateljan, a spokesman for the city attorney's office, Pennington entered the plea for the first charge only since the other count was dismissed (which is normal for a first offense, according to Mateljan). The judge in the case placed Pennington on three years probation, restricted his driving privileges for 90 days and ordered him to participate in a 90-day alcohol program and attend a Mothers Against Drunk Drivers meeting. He also had the phrase 'I'm a television star and I'm stupid' etched into his forehead. All right, I made that last one up, but it would be apropos in this case.
In a statement released by his publicist, Pennington said that he was glad to bring closure to his recent court proceedings. He also added that drinking and driving are never acceptable. Um, don't you think you should have thought about that in the first place, Ty?
Today on TV Squad Daily:
- Sanjaya isn't gone... he's free! (to be a triple threat?)
- India isn't sad to see Sanjaya voted off American Idol.
- Extreme Makeover: Home Edition isn't just about improving homes anymore. This week's episode involves someone getting their own playable character in a new PS3 game.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Penny Dreadful' Season 2 Finale Recap: Vanessa Faces Evelyn for the Final Time
- 'True Detective' Recap: Is Velcoro Alive or Dead?
- 'Big Brother 17' Recap: 2 Female HoHs and 2 Female Targets
- The 3 Biggest Differences Between 'True Detective' Season 1 and Season 2
- 'Big Brother 17' Spoilers: Where Does Everyone Stand in Week 2?
- More From BuddyTV
- Penny Dreadful Season Finale Recap: Blood, Threat and Tears
- Food Network Star Recap: A Thin Line Between Love and Hate
- True Detective Recap: Faking It
- Fall TV: Good Wife vs. Don Johnson, and Sunday's Other DVR Dilemmas
- Quotes of the Week From Teen Wolf, Complications, Rookie Blue and More!
- More From TVLine
- Margot Robbie Rocks 'Suicide Squad' Costume, Celebrates B-Day with Harley Quinn Cake
- EXCLUSIVE PHOTOS: Inside Vanessa Williams' Stunningly Classy Wedding
- Demi Lovato Falls Hard During Pool Party Performance
- U.S. Women's National Soccer Team Wins Record-Setting Third World Cup, America Rejoices!
- Ashton Kutcher & Mila Kunis Wed in Secret Ceremony!
- More From ET