March 27, 2015
by Allison Waldman, posted Mar 18th 2009 10:06AM
The success of Slumdog Millionaire and Frost/Nixon recently inspired me to assess the ten best movies about television. TV has been a fertile source of entertainment for filmmakers. The TV turf is also a popular setting for TV shows, and there have been some all-time great shows about the tube. Here are nine that I think warrant special recognition -- in no special order.
1. The Mary Tyler Moore Show
It all started at WJM-TV in Minneapolis. The Mary Tyler Moore Show was the perfect sitcom blend of home and work, and work happened to be the local TV news team. As Mary Richards, the associate producer, Mary Tyler Moore was the single girl America loved because she was real, funny, gorgeous and lovable. At work, the news was mangled nightly by Ted Baxter, the quintessential news reader anchorman who loved every dulcet tone of his voice and had no idea what he was reporting. In perfect irony, when the show came to an end, most everyone at WJM -- Lou Grant, Murray Slaughter, Sue Anne Nivens, Mary -- were fired. Only Ted was spared!
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- Best 'Bones' Quotes from 'The Psychic in the Soup'
- 7 Reasons 'Downton Abbey' Fans Should Be Watching 'Call the Midwife'
- 'Bones' Poll: Should Brennan Go to Jail for Committing a Felony?
- Best 'Scandal' Quotes from 'Put a Ring On It'
- 'Backstrom' Recap: Has Backstrom Sunk to a New Low?
- More From BuddyTV
- Ratings: Bones Returns Up, Scandal Dips, The Blacklist Hits Low
- TV's Best & Worst Weddings: Parks Perfection, Buffy Nightmare, Twisty Thrones, a Castle Miss and More
- Arrow Season 2.5 First Look: Oliver and Felicity Exchange Presents
- Hart of Dixie Sneak Peek: The O.C.'s Autumn Reeser Is the New 'Zoe'
- Scandal Recap: The Marrying Man — Plus, 'Sweet Baby' Returns
- More From TVLine
- Ty Dolla $ign Jokes About 'Maybe' Working With Rihanna, Wants to Collaborate With John Mayer
- 'Glee' Star Harry Shum Jr. Does the Best Treadmill Dance We've Ever Seen!
- Zayn Malik Breaks Silence: I Feel Like I Let One Direction Fans Down
- Jaime King Cried for '5 Hours' When a Pregnant Kim Kardashian Was Made Fun Of at the Met Gala
- Katy Perry Really Needs a Nap
- More From ET