NBC President, Robert Greenblatt, said "We are very pleased to be making a full-season commitment for 'Grimm.' This series is turning the traditional procedural drama on its head and is attracting a loyal following for us on Friday nights. We love where it's going creatively and we're excited to deliver more episodes to our audience."
Framed much like a fairy tale itself, 'Time' sees the fairy tale characters trapped in Storybrook, Maine. There time stands still thanks to a curse from the Evil Queen (Lana Parrilla), who herself fell victim to the curse. That appears to be part of her plan, though. That said, it's unclear if the "human" Queen, who is the mayor of Storybrook, knows the truth or not.
The network will air five titles based on familiar stories, including 'Hansel and Gretel' and 'Little Red Riding Hood.' The films will be part of the network's popular Saturday night movie franchise, which features low-budget, original genre projects produced in association with several independent studios.
SyFy has been reinventing things with mixed success. They have 'Battlestar Galactica', their gold standard, but they also have 'Flash Gordon' and numerous other bombs. They've also had mini-series based on classic tales like 'The Wizard of Oz' and 'Alice in Wonderland'. Now, they're going to even older stories by creating a television movie franchise based on classic fairy tales. One benefit of this idea is that nobody is owed any creator fees as most fairy tales are in the public domain.
Of course, much like their previous mini-series such as 'Tin Man' and 'Alice', these stories will have a modern, adult spin. For example, 'Hansel and Gretel' will now become a revenge flick. 'Little Red Riding Hood' could very well turn into a copy of 'Buffy the Vampire Slayer' where Red hunts down werewolves.
This idea might work, and some of the movies might even become backdoor pilots if done well enough (despite the limited budget of each). Of course, this concept has already sort of been done with DC Comics' 'Fables' series, but using that directly would involve paying for rights.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Big Brother 16' Spoilers: Who Won the Week 10 Power of Veto?
- September 2014: Don't Miss These 15 TV Shows and Events
- 'Extant' Episode 10 Photos: It's a New World
- 'Bachelor in Paradise' Episode 6 Photos: Brooks & Tasos Arrive to Mix Things Up
- 'Project Runway' Season 13: Ranking the Looks of 'Rock the Wedding'
- More From BuddyTV
- Outlander Recap: I Love It When a Clan Comes Together
- Downton Abbey: First Season 5 Trailer Features Surprise Hookups, Raging Infernos, Exposed Secrets
- Looking Finds Season 2 Gigs for Crossbones Co-Star, Late Night Comic
- TVLine Mixtape: Your Favorite Songs From Teen Wolf, True Blood, Finding Carter and More
- TVLine's Performer of the Week: Anna Paquin
- More From TVLine