...two perfect series finales.
As TV viewers, we've been conditioned to not let ourselves get too attached to good shows because more often than not, good shows get canceled early. Or, on the flip side, they go on far too long beyond their prime and the series finales end up falling short as unsatisfying afterthoughts.
So it's always a breath of fresh air when a truly quality program ends not only at its peak, but it ends with a series finale that does the entire run of the show justice. It doesn't happen often, and this year we were fortunate to say good-bye on a high note to two of the greatest cop dramas ever made, The Wire and The Shield.
(S07E13) "Family meeting!" - Shane
Seven seasons, 88 episodes, and it all comes down to this. Vic Mackey, one of television's greatest anti-heroes, finally got what was coming to him. The Shield is over and Tuesday nights across America just got a little less exciting. Shawn Ryan has crafted some masterful Vic Mackey moments since 2001, but this episode (and Michael Chiklis' acting in it) easily stand apart as one of the show's greatest achievements yet.
Over the past several years, TV fans have been fortunate enough to be able to say a proper good-bye to some of the medium's finest dramas ever made. Alias, The Wire, The West Wing, The Sopranos, and Six Feet Under have all bowed out within the past four years, and the list could go on. They all got "endings" - whether you liked them or not. However, none of them (save for The Wire and for entirely different reasons) were as consistently riveting as Vic Mackey's exploits on FX's The Shield.
Since the seventh and final season began airing, FX has sent critics the first 11 episodes. So, despite the fact that I've been in the know, I've tried to avoid sounding like "I have a secret" in my episode reviews. Still, I was in the dark like everyone else when it came to how it all ends. So imagine my glee when I received an invite last month to attend a screening of the show's final two installments followed by a Q&A with Shield creator Shawn Ryan.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Intelligence' Season 1 Episode Photos
- 'Scandal': 15 Jaw-Dropping Moments from 'We Do Not Touch the First Ladies'
- 'Reign': 25 Moments of Mary, Marie and Marriage from 'The Consummation'
- Best 'Suits' Quotes from 'Buried Secrets'
- 'Bones' Episode 9.17 Photos: Time to Welcome a New Squintern!
- More From BuddyTV
- 'Game of Thrones' Season 4: First four episode descriptions released
- 'Sons of Anarchy': Kurt Sutter wants Aaron Paul in Season 7
- 'Suits' Season 3: Big changes for Rachel and Louis revealed by Meghan Markle and Rick Hoffman
- 'Doctor Who': Peter Capaldi leaving after 1 season?
- TV ratings: 'Big Bang Theory' rises Thursday but 'Scandal' and 'Grey's Anatomy' fall
- More From Zap2it
- Did Glee Dis Artie? Why'd Castle Spoil a Twist? Are We to 'Ship Dead's Daryl/Beth? And More Qs!
- Exclusive Bones Clip: Booth, Brennan Squabble About Insurance (It's Funnier Than It Sounds)
- Pilot Scoop: Katie Holmes to Star in ABC's Dangerous Liaisons-esque High Society Drama
- Supernatural First Look: A Bloodthirsty Crowley Returns, Plus: Why Is Snooki Here?
- Mad Men Releases Trippy Season 7 Poster
- More From TVLine