The good news is that Fiji has shipped. A Microsoft knowledge base article refers to a "Windows Media Center TV Pack," which was released on July 16th. The bad news is, the update was released to OEMs, not to end users. In other words, there's no way for you to download and install the update on your Windows Vista Home Premium or Ultimate computer. You'll have to wait until Microsoft either issues a wider release or until you purchase a new computer with the software preloaded.
[via Geek Tonic]
A tipster also sent EngadgetHD a few screenshots of the upcoming update, which adds a few new features like the ability to use as many TV tuners as you want, and to use a combination of tuner types such as NTSC, ATSC, QAM, CableCARD, DVB-T, PAL, or DVB-S. The update includes additional features for international media center users, such as support for ISDB-T and BML standards in Japan, and DVB-T and DVB-S in Europe.
Microsoft has reportedly begun testing the next generation of Windows Media Center, which bears the codename Fiji. There's not a lot of information about the beta test. We can't say for sure how many users are involved, or if and when Microsoft will expand the beta.
It's likely that the update will add support for the upcoming DirecTV tuner. But other than that, it's not entirely clear whether Fiji will sport any new features, or whether it'll just be a refined version of Windows Vista Media Center.
Microsoft is on track to release Windows 7 sometime around 2010. Windows 7 is the codename for the operating system that will eventually replace Windows Vista. Fiji, on the other hand, will be an intermediate update that will basically bring a new version of Media Center to Vista users. There's no official word on when Fiji will be released, but it could be out by the end of this year.
Participants in the private beta are bound by a pretty strict non-disclosure agreement, which is why it's been difficult to get any real information about the beta. But if anyone feels like sharing some info feel free to hit the tips link at the top of this page.
On other shows, false idols take a whole other meaning.
On Survivor: Fiji, contestant Yao-Man scored himself the coveted immunity idol which protects him from being voted off the island. He brings to the show a brand new strategy never seen before on the show. Perhaps he is enabled to come up with such a scheme because for the first time ever, Survivor has given the contestants large buckets of paint?!
(S14E06) For Ravu, the starved and perpetually losing tribe, hope springs eternal. After all, a change-up turns Ravu into the He-Man Woman Haters club. What could possibly go wrong with all these muscle men around? I think I have a clue, he's loud, he's obnoxious and he's from my hometown.
Today on TV Squad Daily:
- In hopes of creating some extra friction, Survivor: Fiji kicked off the season by separating tribes into the "have's" and the "have-not's" ... but the real force to be reckoned with here is that couch.
- I'm hoping to see my favorite side of Jeff Foxworthy, as the host of the new game show Are you Smarter Than a 5th Grader?
- We're still reeling about the death of Anna Nicole Smith.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Big Brother 16' Week 5 Photo Booth Gallery
- 'The Bachelorette: After the Final Rose' Recap: Confronting Nick and Fantasy Suite Sex
- 'Extant' Episode 4 Photos: An Island Escape
- 'The Fosters' Recap: Brandon Reveals His Secret
- 'Under the Dome' Recap: What's in the Locker is Finally Revealed
- More From BuddyTV
- Sex and the City's Ron Livingston Cast as Paul Revere in AMC Comedy Pilot
- Emmys 2014: Who Should Win Lead Actress in a Drama? Take Our Poll!
- Ratings: Ninja Warrior Hits 2-Year High Vs. All-Time Low Bachelorette Finale
- Castle's Molly Quinn Talks Teary Finale, the Alexis-Kate Tension That Follows
- First Look: Hot in Cleveland's Elka Makes Like Wonka in Animated Outing
- More From TVLine
- Martha Stewart on Blake Lively's New Lifestyle Blog: 'I Mean, It's Stupid'
- Lady Gaga and Tony Bennett's Jazz Album Gets a Release Date
- What Baby Bump? Zoe Saldana Nude For Women's Health UK
- Ariana Grande On Her Late Grandpa and Falling Out of Touch With Her Dad
- 'Fifty Shades' Trailer Sets a 2014 Record
- More From ET