The good news is that Fiji has shipped. A Microsoft knowledge base article refers to a "Windows Media Center TV Pack," which was released on July 16th. The bad news is, the update was released to OEMs, not to end users. In other words, there's no way for you to download and install the update on your Windows Vista Home Premium or Ultimate computer. You'll have to wait until Microsoft either issues a wider release or until you purchase a new computer with the software preloaded.
[via Geek Tonic]
A tipster also sent EngadgetHD a few screenshots of the upcoming update, which adds a few new features like the ability to use as many TV tuners as you want, and to use a combination of tuner types such as NTSC, ATSC, QAM, CableCARD, DVB-T, PAL, or DVB-S. The update includes additional features for international media center users, such as support for ISDB-T and BML standards in Japan, and DVB-T and DVB-S in Europe.
Microsoft has reportedly begun testing the next generation of Windows Media Center, which bears the codename Fiji. There's not a lot of information about the beta test. We can't say for sure how many users are involved, or if and when Microsoft will expand the beta.
It's likely that the update will add support for the upcoming DirecTV tuner. But other than that, it's not entirely clear whether Fiji will sport any new features, or whether it'll just be a refined version of Windows Vista Media Center.
Microsoft is on track to release Windows 7 sometime around 2010. Windows 7 is the codename for the operating system that will eventually replace Windows Vista. Fiji, on the other hand, will be an intermediate update that will basically bring a new version of Media Center to Vista users. There's no official word on when Fiji will be released, but it could be out by the end of this year.
Participants in the private beta are bound by a pretty strict non-disclosure agreement, which is why it's been difficult to get any real information about the beta. But if anyone feels like sharing some info feel free to hit the tips link at the top of this page.
On other shows, false idols take a whole other meaning.
On Survivor: Fiji, contestant Yao-Man scored himself the coveted immunity idol which protects him from being voted off the island. He brings to the show a brand new strategy never seen before on the show. Perhaps he is enabled to come up with such a scheme because for the first time ever, Survivor has given the contestants large buckets of paint?!
(S14E06) For Ravu, the starved and perpetually losing tribe, hope springs eternal. After all, a change-up turns Ravu into the He-Man Woman Haters club. What could possibly go wrong with all these muscle men around? I think I have a clue, he's loud, he's obnoxious and he's from my hometown.
Today on TV Squad Daily:
- In hopes of creating some extra friction, Survivor: Fiji kicked off the season by separating tribes into the "have's" and the "have-not's" ... but the real force to be reckoned with here is that couch.
- I'm hoping to see my favorite side of Jeff Foxworthy, as the host of the new game show Are you Smarter Than a 5th Grader?
- We're still reeling about the death of Anna Nicole Smith.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- The 15 Best Drama Lead Actors of the 2012-2013 TV Season
- Anything Can Happen: 10 TV Shows That Went Live
- 'Big Brother 15' Official House Photos
- 'So You Think You Can Dance' Season 10: Meet the Top 20 Dancers
- [Video] 'Pretty Little Liars' Episode 4.3 Sneak Peek: The Liars Follow a Creepy Clue
- More From BuddyTV
- 'The Voice': Blake Shelton talks Danielle Bradbery's win and what it means for the show
- 'Ghost Hunters' Jason Hawes: In Grant Wilson's absence, Steve Gonsalves has really stepped up
- 'The Hero' contestants face down snakes - and math: Watch
- Bravo's Sheree Whitfield helps as 'TK Gets Real' on 'Necessary Roughness'
- 'Franklin & Bash': Heather Locklear says the new boss is Amanda Woodward 2.0
- More From Zap2it
- Sopranos Star James Gandolfini Dead at 51
- FX Picks Up Legal Comedy Starring Kelsey Grammer and Martin Lawrence
- So You Think You Can Dance: Lessons Learned From the Top 20 Announcement Episode
- Exclusive Hannibal Video: Alana and Jack Argue Over Will's Mental Health — Is Their Pal a Killer?
- TVLine Items: Liars Lands One Life to Live Vet, Y&R Fave Is Back, Once Return Nixed and More
- More From TVLine