Oprah Winfrey's ceded poll position to Lady Gaga, despite earning roughly three times as much.
Gaga's moved up from No. 4 on the list, which measures celebrity power through a combination of entertainment-related earnings, media visibility and social media popularity.
Although 'Forbes' estimated Gaga's earnings in the last year as $90 million -- as opposed to Oprah's mighty $290 million -- it also noted the huge importance of her 32 million Facebook fans and 10 million Twitter followers.
'Forbes' editor Dorothy Pomerantz explained that, "Lady Gaga beat Oprah this year because of her social media power. She can use Twitter and Facebook to work the 'little monsters' into a frenzy that leads to record sales and media attention. She's the best example of how celebrities will need to manage their careers in the coming years."
The top spot goes yet again to Fox's ratings juggernaut 'American Idol'. Pulling in $7.11 million of advertising revenue for each half hour it's on the air, 'Idol' is way ahead of its closest competitor, CBS's hit comedy 'Two and a Half Men.'
'Men' has been hitting the headlines for all the wrong reasons lately, and the future of the show is uncertain. Star Charlie Sheen's been fired, creator Chuck Lorre's said "I'm so outta here," and production's been stopped.
- Live Free or Die Hard on Blu-Ray for $7.99? I'm there. Check out that and other Best Buy Black Friday movie deals.
- I know Funny People didn't exactly kill at the box office, but I loved it. It's coming out on Blu-Ray soon, and Cinematical scored an interview with writer/director Judd Apatow to talk about it.
- Forbes came out with a list of the 10 most overpaid actors in Hollywood, and number 1 may surprise you.
- Cinematical wants this clip of Kevin Smith talking about the Twilight saga to be the last word on the matter. I agree.
- What do you think about Bones becoming a giant Avatar promo?
Like most red-blooded Americans, I love lists. We do a lot of them here at TV Squad and you'll see them at many sites every single day of the week. But I think that sometimes the lists go too far. I mean, what's the point of listing the top 50 or top 100 of something? Isn't that a little bit too many spots? Instead of getting down to the nitty-gritty (say, a top 10 or top 25), you ended up not only listing the best, worst, most, least (or whatever the list's topic is), you're just listing all of them.
Case in point, this Forbes list of the 100 most powerful celebrities.
You remember the theme from The Beverly Hillbillies, don't you? It tells the story of how poor mountain man Jed Clampett was out looking to shoot himself some dinner when he came upon some bubblin' crude. Well, before you knew it Jed was a millionaire ($25 million, to be exact). Of course, that was back in 1962.
Today, old Jed is worth about $11 billion dollars! That's according to Forbes' list of the 15 wealthiest fictional characters according to today's real-world commodity and share markets. The Clampett patriarch is listed fifth on the list, between Futurama's Mom ($15.7 billion) and The Simpsons' C. Montgomery Burns ($8.4 billion). Number one of the list is Ducktales' Scrooge McDuck, who is worth a whopping $29 billion! Man, what I wouldn't do to be one of his nephews.
That's one of the revelations in this Forbes mag piece about Jeff Zucker and NBC. It says that not only is it possible that NBC will cancel Law and Order (the first one, CI and SVU are pretty safe), Zucker and Kevin Reilly are thinking seriously about making The Office a one hour show.
Hmmm...a one hour Office? I don't know. Will that be too much of a good thing? Bigger isn't necessarily better.
Zucker also discloses that when NBC gives its upfront (on May 14), there will be 5 new shows announced: three dramas, one comedy, and one reality show. I've never been good at math, so I'll leave it to you to decipher what that means about which current shows will and won't return.
[via TV Tattle]
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Under the Dome' Recap: Big Jim Creates More Problems When He Finds the Egg
- 'The Real Housewives of Orange County' Reunion Part 2 Recap: Does Tamra Defend Her Actions?
- 'Bachelor in Paradise' Recap: Will the Arrival of Brooks Come Between Sarah and Robert?
- 'The Strain' Answers: Secrets of the Strigoi Revealed
- 'MasterChef' Recap: Will Cutter and Leslie's Feud Threaten Their Chances?
- More From BuddyTV
- Under the Dome Recap: Family Matters
- Time Out! Lifetime's Saved by the Bell Exposé Would Have Us Believe....
- Mistresses Season 2 Finale Recap: Bride Goeth Before a Fall
- Teen Wolf Recap: Third Eye Blind
- Mistresses EP Talks Shocking Season 2 Finale: 'Soap Operas Live and Die on Unforgivable Acts'
- More From TVLine