There are plenty of great TV collections being released all the time now, bringing back classic TV, shows that had short runs, and current favorites. You know about most of the big shows, so here's a mix of more popular and some maybe less-heralded collections.
House, M.D.: Season Five: This was a breakout season for the show, where the secondary characters really came to life and House broke down and finally had to face his addictions and personal failings. Season five may wind up being a pinnacle for the series as a whole.
Way back in 2006, we told you a Fraggle Rock film was in the works. Now, Brian Henson tells MTV that a Fraggle Rock movie is inching closer. He also indicated that they're expanding the film "to be more accessible to a wider audience." I recently had the opportunity to watch Fraggle Rock, and while it did touch my nostalgia button, I can see where Henson's coming from here.
As unveiled to a full, if partially groggy Comic-Con crowd during one of the day's first events, the DVD collection will include every episode of the show, more than 90 minutes of extra footage and 29 episode commentaries.
Henson joined series creator Rockne O'Bannon with stars Ben Browder and Claudia Black to unveil the comprehensive set of the show Henson repeatedly referred to during the panel as "psychotically ambitious" because of its mix of live-action, muppet technology, and then-state-of-the-art visual effects.
Looking back on it now, how well do you remember your favorite kiddie shows?
Take our quiz and get in touch with your inner-child.
But in TV land, the sisters were doin' it for themselves and finally getting respect as cops, war nurses and working moms; iconic shows like 'Hill Street Blues,' 'St. Elsewhere' and 'L.A. Law' would forever change (for the better) cop, medical and legal dramas; and no idea was too high concept to fill a primetime spot (time-travelling physicist? check; housewife-turned-CIA op? check; New York City beauty in love with a subterranean monster? check).
The bottom line: They all add up to 10 years of fine channel surfing -- and our awesome list of the 40 best series of the 1980s.
To enter, leave a comment below before 5:00PM Eastern, Friday, November 7 simply telling us why you'd like to own this DVD set. As always, we'll randomly choose one winner amongst the eligible entries. Some other details:
- To enter, leave a confirmed comment below stating why you'd like to own the Fraggle Rock complete series DVD set.
- The comment must be left before November 7, 2008 at 5:00PM Eastern Time.
- You may enter only once.
- One winner will be selected in a random drawing.
- One winner will receive a Fraggle Rock - The Complete Series DVD set (valued at $139.98).
- Open to legal residents of the 50 United States and the District of Columbia who are 18 and older.
Whew! After several days of sore feet (and sore booties from sitting on the hard floor waiting for the next panel), dwindling funds, and tons of TV-related panels, San Diego Comic-Con comes to an end. That doesn't mean that all of the television folks have packed up an left in order to catch the Silver Bullet train to Los Angeles (does a train even run between San Diego and Los Angeles?) or an aeroplane to Vancouver. There are still some panels waiting for your utmost attention.
It's Kids' Day at the convention, so there are panels on a Mr. SquarePants, Phineas and Ferb, The Backyardigans, and those wacky Muppets from Fraggle Rock. For the more adult crowd there are Q&As for It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, Supernatural, Smallville, and another panel on cartoon voices. The final TV-related event is a rousing sing-a-long with the Buffy the Vampire Slayer episode "Once More With Feeling." After that, you can climb into your hotel bed, train berth, car seat, or nearby street corner resplendent with the fact that you had taken in everything television at the Comic-Con.
So, if you are staying just one more day, here are the television-related events for Sunday, July 27th. For a full schedule of events you can check out the official schedule on the Comic-Con website. And, for old times sake, remember that times, panelists and events can change at a moment's notice. That, and the panels are on a first-come, first-serve basis.
Among the shows available are the first seasons of Fraggle Rock and Farscape for $1.99 per episode. The article mentions that Farscape is difficult to find on DVD due to difficulties over home video rights (although it has been released previously).
I remember Fraggle Rock from my youth and I always enjoyed it. I remember being scared over the episode with the Terrible Tunnel. As I think about it now, I think Mokey Fraggle had the exact same voice as Rizzo the Rat from the Muppets.
So, for those who use iTunes, here is the chance to indulge yourself and purchase the first few seasons. Or, in the case of Fraggle Rock, you could just buy the DVD.
Sheesh, I guess I haven't checked out Muppet News Flash in awhile, and wound up missing out on some cool Muppet news.
First, a Fraggle Rock album will hit stores in October. There's pretty much zero information on Fraggle Rockin', except that it will contain music from the series. Amazon doesn't even have an album image. Did I mention it's a three-disc set? That's all kinds of awesome.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'The Following': 15 Creepy Moments from 'Reunion'
- 'Dancing with the Stars' Season 20: Latin Night Performance Rankings
- Best 'Castle' Quotes from 'Habeas Corpse'
- ?The Voice? Season 8: Top 20 Performance Rankings from the Knockout Rounds
- 'Hell's Kitchen' Prediction: Who Will Go Home in Week 5?
- More From BuddyTV
- New Girl Renewed for Season 5 at Fox as John Cho Joins the Cast
- Sutton Foster Talks Playing Younger, Bunheads''Devastating' Final Bow
- Ratings: DWTS and Castle Tick Up; Scorpion, The Voice, Night Shift Slip
- Cougar Town: Your Fave Songs From All 6 Seasons With the Cul-de-Sac Crew
- Henry Simmons Talks S.H.I.E.L.D.'s Captain America 2 Flashbacks, Mack vs. Coulson and Lucy Lawless' Encore
- More From TVLine
- Julianne Moore Dropped from Turkish Tourism Ad for 'Poor Acting'?!
- EXCLUSIVE: Watch The Veronicas Perform 'You Ruin Me' at Live in the Vineyard
- Olivia Wilde on Her Perfect Post-Baby Body: 'I'm Softer Than I've Ever Been'
- EXCLUSIVE! 'Vikings': Ragnar and Floki Aren't on the Same Page After Dramatic Death
- Ryan Reynolds Shows Off His 'Deadpool' Muscles with an Adorable Young Fan
- More From ET