(S02E03) It looks like the production schedule had this one slated to be the second episode of the season, rather than the third. It was a little odd how much time was spent in showing Ballard getting used to the complete process in turning a Doll into an Active. I kept thinking, "He was fine with last week's mommy engagement?" Knowing that this was intended to be the first episode after he took on the role as her Handler makes more sense.
It also means FOX is screwing around with Whedon's intended schedule on his show ... again! I can't understand how network executives think narrative flow between episodes means nothing. Do they think that fans are so stupid we can't follow a thread between episodes, nor will we notice when things are out of whack?
This would probably have worked better as a second episode anyway, because it got a little more into the technology behind the Dollhouse, as well as how it can go wrong.
Yeah, me neither.
The last episode of Joss Whedon's Dollhouse, "Instinct," featured the newly liberated November/Madeline (Miracle Laurie) returning to the Dollhouse to undergo a "diagnostic." According to Adelle, the procedure is necessary to make sure Topher's tech didn't permanently blow a fuse inside Madeline's pretty head. Madeline was understandably cautious when Adelle came to visit her and prod her into getting the check-up. "I have this irrational fear that if I say the wrong thing, men in suits are going to throw me in a black van and take me away," she said.
Can you blame her?
(S02E02) So, um, what happened? Dollhouse came back last week and posted its lowest ratings to date. It's a shame, because the show continues to find its footing. What was impressive this time was that the episode was compelling and dramatic, and it had virtually nothing to do with the overall story-arc for the series.
Just like some of the best episodes of The X-Files were "monster-of-the-week" installments, this "imprint-of-the-week" chapter was simply brilliant. It explored the full capabilities of the Dollhouse technology, where we got our first hint that Topher's genius can sometimes push him to doing things he shouldn't. At least not without testing. It's this character flaw that led to his failures in "Epitaph One."
(S01E13) This episode of Dollhouse never actually aired on Fox, and in fact, it's not going to. I'm not sure why, though, because I thought it was fantastic. Yes, it was a dramatic departure from what had gone before, but despite its unique presentation, it offered some amazing insight into the world of Whedon's Dollhouse, and its future.
"Epitaph One" will be available on the Dollhouse: Season One DVD, available July 28, 2009. It was also screened this past weekend at Comic-Con. Even though I wasn't there, I did manage to get my hands on it, so join me, if you will, for a very spoilery look at the true season finale of Dollhouse.
Now that the fall shows are drying up, those midseason replacements are becoming more and more essential. Zap2It tells us CBS has shifted the premieres of The Captain and The New Adventures of Old Christine from January 28 to February 4 (so as to not compete with the State of the Union Address). And furthermore, The Captain has been redubbed Welcome to the Captain.
In this new series, Fran Kranz plays a young man who moves into a legendary Hollywood apartment complex. His new neighbors are played by the likes of Raquel Welch, Jeffrey Tambor, Chris Klein and more. Which I guess means it's a show about a bunch of wacky neighbors, as opposed to the requisite one.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Hawaii Five-0' Season 3 Finale: 5 Burning Questions for Season 4
- 'Bates Motel': The Best and Craziest Moments from Season 1
- 'The Vampire Diaries' Season 4 Finale: 7 Cliffhangers to be Addressed in Season 5
- 'The Voice' Results: 2 Go Home from the Top 10
- ?Dancing with the Stars? Week 10 Performance Rankings
- More From BuddyTV
- 'The Voice': Blake Shelton and Miranda Lambert perform tribute for tornado victims
- Fail Factor: How well did TV networks choose their new shows this season? [Updated]
- 'Kitchen Nightmares' Amy and Samy Bouzalgo: Amy's Baking Co. haters gotta hate
- 'The Little Couple's' Bill Klein will dye your dog pink
- 'Dancing With the Stars' costumes get played by ear on a weekly basis
- More From Zap2it
- Ask Ausiello: Spoilers on Vampire Diaries, Nikita, Psych, Revenge, Covert Affairs and More!
- Once Upon a Time EP: Storybrooke Will Not Be Forgotten — Plus: The Hook-Up You Won't See
- The Voice's Vedo on Surviving His MTV Past, Tackling Bryan Adams and Michael Jackson
- TVLine Items: XBox Orders Live-Action Halo Series, Rena Sofer to Bold and Beautiful and More
- Fall TV Schedule Moves in Review: The Savvy, the Shocking and the Sorta Snoozeworthy
- More From TVLine