There's no indication that William Petersen's Gil is joining her, although since Petersen is still connected to the show as an executive producer, he could decide to pop in for a show or two.
If you're a fan of closure, if you like solutions and results and answers, here was the episode for you. Grissom's exit gave the writers and producers of CSI a chance to present a show which encompassed most of the elements that characterize what makes this show so popular.
It was sort of a greatest hits episode, if you will, topped with the one scene that kept viewers glued to the set till the end credits. If you missed it by turning away after Grissom's nostalgic stroll through the offices, I'll tell you all about what happened...after the jump.
Petersen plans to remain actively involved in CSI and is maintaining his role as executive producer. Although he will no longer be a series regular, he's definitely not planning on leaving for good, saying, "I'm in a great place in terms of knowing that I'll be more free to make choices. And I'm responsible enough to not do it in a way that would hurt [the show]."
WARNING: POSSIBLE SPOILERS AFTER THE JUMP
I know, I know -- I can hear you now, how is that possible? Didn't he die in the CSI finale? When we last saw Warrick, he'd been shot twice and left to die in his car. Could the CSI have survived a bullet through the neck? He was slumped over the steering wheel, so he looked dead. And the sheriff shot him a second time -- presumably a death shot to the head since it was an execution.
However, it is true that William Petersen is returning to CBS's CSI for the ninth season. This is great news for fans of the show -- and the star -- because for years now he's been yelping about leaving the hit series to do other things. Last year, for example, he was written off the show for a brief hiatus in which Liev Schreiber was cast as a temporary replacement for Gil Grissom in the Las Vegas crime lab.
For the past week, CBS has been running a sad preview for tonight's episode of CSI, the last one for star William Petersen (for a while anwyay). Liev Schreiber joins the cast soon.
Hey, I'll admit I don't watch this show (even though it's the MOST IMPORTANT SHOW IN THE UNIVERSE). So I ask fans: is this departure as big as they're making it out to be. Yes, yes, I know he's the star of the show and he's the leader of the team and all that. But the commercials make it sound, with the "you never thought he'd leave" voiceover and the tinkling piano and the emotion, you'd think that Lucy Ricardo was just hit by a bus or maybe Petersen had died in real life and this was his last show.
Why is Petersen leaving temporarily anyway? To star in a play? Burnt out? Contract negotiations? The episode preview should get into that: "People come and go...but you never thought he'd leave...but due to other commitments and just a feeling that he had to get away for a while, our star has to leave and will be replaced by another actor...tonight, on a very special CSI."
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Pretty Little Liars': The 20 Most Shocking Moments from Season 5A
- Meet the Castaways on 'Survivor: San Juan del Sur -- Blood vs. Water'
- 'Pretty Little Liars' Top Moments: Mona, Ali's Lies and a Brutal Murder from 'Taking This One to the Grave'
- 'Person of Interest' Interview: Jim Caviezel and EP Greg Plageman on Season 4's 'War Between Two Artificial Intelligences'
- 'Arrow' Interview: EP Greg Berlanti Teases Year of People Saving 'Either Their Own Soul or Someone Else's'
- More From BuddyTV
- Fargo Boss Drops New Season 2 Intel: 'There Are a Lot of [Spoiler]'
- FX Orders Zach Galifianakis Clown Comedy Baskets to Series
- Video: OITNB's Laverne Cox on Emmy- Induced Spontaneous Combustion
- TVLine Items: Friends Sets Up Shop in NYC, Hulu Will Party Down and More
- Glee Season 6 Plan Revealed: Rachel Revives New Directions and More
- More From TVLine
- 'Sopranos' Creator Finally Reveals Whether Tony Died in the Finale
- Idris Elba Talks About That Picture Featuring a Very Noticeable Bulge
- Zach Galifianakis is Coming To FX With 'Baskets!'
- Kylie Jenner Is Morphing Into Kim Kardashian
- Cobra Starship Teams Up With Icona Pop, Channels '90s Vibes With New Music
- More From ET