I'm not like that, though. On Friday, amid the post-Thanksgiving haze and without much interest in the college football games or reruns of CBS soaps or syndicated fare, I was channel surfing. Every time I saw something I liked, I stopped for a while. It was mostly movies. I watch Cary Grant and Sophia Loren in Houseboat, Meg Ryan and Tom Hanks in Sleepless in Seattle, there was a whole bunch of Goodfellas, because Bravo showed it back to back. So I watched the ending first, then stuck around to watch the beginning. What an incredible movie -- still!
Movie actors are a unique bunch of characters in Hollywood. Adept at script memorization, method acting, and being snobby little princesses (the males included), they are somewhat limited in their performance venues. They can switch pretty easily and thrive in theater productions because most of them began their acting lives on the stage in front of adoring audiences. Decades ago they could also do radio pretty easily; most likely because they could read right from the script and no one listening would know any different.
Television? Well, that's a whole different loaf a bread! For some reason, big-named movie stars with their Oscars and Golden Globes just tank when they decide to jump to the small screen. Their failures could be due to the show they've decided to star in, who they play on the show, or the fact that they are catering to a different audience than film-goers. Whatever the reason, some of Hollywood's most famous film stars had some famously big television flops. Here are but a few of them to digest.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Arrow': 18 Shocking and Vengeful Moments from 'The Magician'
- Meet the Designers of 'Project Runway: All Stars' Season 4
- 'Sons of Anarchy': 17 Shocking Moments from 'The Separation of Crows'
- 'Nashville' Recap: Will Rayna Choose Career Over Romance?
- 'American Horror Story: Freak Show' Recap: Edward Mordrake's Hellish Carnival Gets a New Freak
- More From BuddyTV
- Game of Thrones Cast Re-Ups for Seventh (and Final?) Season
- TVLine Items: The Sons Storm Conan, Devious Maid Visits Virgin and More
- Resurrection Sneak Peek: What's Bellamy's Age Again...?
- Major Crimes Casts Tuc Watkins in Season-Ending Arc... as Stroh's Savior?
- Meet CBS' Supergirl (and Her Sister), Get Scoop on Kara's Big Entrance
- More From TVLine
- Ashton Kutcher: Demi Moore's Daughters Helped Prepare Me for Fatherhood
- Melissa Etheridge on Karaoke, Her First Concert and Hitting the Road: 'It's Going to Be Me Like You've Never Heard'
- T-Pain Sings Without Auto-Tune and It's Awesome!
- Emma Watson On Her Famous Feminist UN Speech: It Wasn't Easy
- EXCLUSIVE: Ben Affleck, Kristen Stewart and Robert Downey, Jr. to Attend Hollywood Film Awards
- More From ET