I'm not like that, though. On Friday, amid the post-Thanksgiving haze and without much interest in the college football games or reruns of CBS soaps or syndicated fare, I was channel surfing. Every time I saw something I liked, I stopped for a while. It was mostly movies. I watch Cary Grant and Sophia Loren in Houseboat, Meg Ryan and Tom Hanks in Sleepless in Seattle, there was a whole bunch of Goodfellas, because Bravo showed it back to back. So I watched the ending first, then stuck around to watch the beginning. What an incredible movie -- still!
Movie actors are a unique bunch of characters in Hollywood. Adept at script memorization, method acting, and being snobby little princesses (the males included), they are somewhat limited in their performance venues. They can switch pretty easily and thrive in theater productions because most of them began their acting lives on the stage in front of adoring audiences. Decades ago they could also do radio pretty easily; most likely because they could read right from the script and no one listening would know any different.
Television? Well, that's a whole different loaf a bread! For some reason, big-named movie stars with their Oscars and Golden Globes just tank when they decide to jump to the small screen. Their failures could be due to the show they've decided to star in, who they play on the show, or the fact that they are catering to a different audience than film-goers. Whatever the reason, some of Hollywood's most famous film stars had some famously big television flops. Here are but a few of them to digest.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Bones' 200th Episode Photos: The Gang Goes to the 1950s
- 'Bones' Episode 10.9 Photos: Does Brennan Have a Problem with Aubrey?
- 7 Thanksgiving Episodes To Escape Your Family Drama -- Available to Stream Now
- The 25 Best Dances from 'Dancing with the Stars' Season 19
- 'Hart of Dixie' Season 4 Premiere Photos: All About Zoe and Wade
- More From BuddyTV
- The Flash Recap: Future Shock
- The Voice Results Recap: Women on the Verge of a Total Breakdown
- Glee Season 6 First Look: Dramatic New Poster Bids Farewell to McKinley
- Once Upon a Time Photos: Kissing, Cuddling and Blackbeard Vs.... Anna?
- Reese Witherspoon and Nicole Kidman to Star in Big Little Lies Limited Series; David E. Kelley to Serve as Writer/Showrunner
- More From TVLine
- Could Your Kid Be a Star? ET Goes Inside An LA Acting School For Kids
- Allison Williams' Surprising Peter Pan Diet: Donuts & Bagels & Everything Sinful
- 'American Horror Story's' Ma Petite: Don't Treat Me Like a Baby
- Ariana Grande's Classy Response to Bette Midler: ‘Always A Fan No Matter What'
- Melissa McCarthy Reveals She Thought She'd Make a Living as a Designer… Not an Actress
- More From ET