The network has a new show premiering June 8 that looks to grab some of that audience. 'Pretty Little Liars' sounds like a cross between 'The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants,' 'Desperate Housewives,' and 'Gossip Girl.' But it also looks pretty good. Here are four reasons why this show will be a hit.
It won Emmys for the best dramatic series, best dramatic actor and best dramatic actress. Right out of the box. In season one.
Nearly 15 years ago.
So how does the first season of the controversial Picket Fences stand up to time, in its new DVD collection? After watching the pilot episode, seeing all those shoulder pads, hearing the heavy-handed background music during some of the scenes and watching "tough" police interrogations in the form of raised voices, my initial thought was, "Picket Fences didn't age well."
Then I watched more episodes. And changed my mind.
(S08E22) No sir, I didn't like it. Didn't like it one bit.
I'm talking about the series finale of the WB's Charmed , which ended its eighth and final season on Sunday night. What should have been a great sendoff by producers and writers for the Halliwell sisters Piper (Holly Marie Combs), Phoebe (Alyssa Milano) and Paige (Rose McGowan) was flat, disappointing, and focused more on the secondary players than The Charmed Ones.
However, that's not the reason why I disliked the episode. The thing that ticked me off was the magical device that Piper, the oldest sister, used in order to save Phoebe and Paige form a horrible death that they encountered last episode. A device that, in my opinion, is the lazy way out of resolving issues.
I'm talking about . . . .wait for it . . . time travel. Aarrrgh!
As I mentioned in a previous post back at the beginning of April, the WB's Charmed is ending its eight-season run in a few weeks and a few of its cast members, Holly Marie Combs and Rose McGowan, to give examples, are not happy at all about the way the network treated them. They say that, even if the show went on for a ninth season aboard the new CW network, they would not renew their contracts.
Despite this news, the support for the show has been pretty overwhelming. From the comments made on the post, there are still many passionate fans of the show who would like to see it continue. This got me to thinking, which is always a bad sign.. there must be a place on the Internet where fans of the show can go to and show their support. Well, after a lengthy Internet search (OK, it was five seconds after I entered 'Save Charmed' in Google) I may have found such an outlet.
The Petition Spot web site currently has a ongoing petition to save Charmed from the cancellation axe. At this moment, there are nearly 1400 signatures on the list. The goal listed is 5,000 signatures. Once they reach that goal, they will present the petition to Warner Brothers, the company that distributes Charmed. So, all of you fans who sent comments to my previous post, get started on that petition!
The cast and crew of the WB's Charmed, which is finishing up its eighth and final season, are pissed at the network that housed them for so long. According to Holly Marie Combs (Piper), who became producer on the show halfway through the series, the network has treated them like the ugly stepchild pretty much from day one.
Another member of the cast, Rose McGowan (who joined as Charmed sister Paige when Shannen Doherty departed after the fourth season), added that the cancellation of the show as their network and the UPN merged was the icing on the cake to the way to they were treated. McGowan said that even if her contract was renewed for a ninth season (her and Combs' contracts ended this season) she would not return due to the poor way she and her castmates were handled.
The full interview can be found on SciFi Wire. By the way, with the completion of this season, Charmed makes history as the longest running television show with female leads; it beats out the classic Laverne & Shirley by a half season and Buffy the Vampire Slayer by one full season.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Grimm': 17 Nasty Surprises from 'The Stories We Tell Our Young'
- The Best 'Bones' Quotes from 'The Spark in the Park'
- 'Once Upon a Time in Wonderland' Season 1 Episode Photos
- 'NCIS' Season 11 Episode Photos
- 'Agents of SHIELD' Episode 10 Photos: Mike Peterson Returns to Fight Against Centipede
- More From BuddyTV
- Paul Rudd hosts 'Saturday Night Live': Kristen Wiig, Fred Armisen, Will Ferrell and 'Anchorman' cast stop by
- Watch 'Downton Abbey's' Season 4 Christmas special trailer
- 'Haven' recap: Audrey and the Troubles go dark in 'When the Bough Breaks'
- 'Cupcake Wars': Justin Willman offers 'Comedy Cupcakes' cheer for the holidays
- FOX's 'Gotham' might star a 10-year-old Bruce Wayne
- More From Zap2it
- What to Watch Sunday: Race Finishes, Mentalist Fall Finale, Bonnie & Clyde Ride Again and More
- Reality Check: Breaking Down The Voice's Final 5! Plus: Alex & Sierra's X Factor Supremacy
- TVLine Mixtape: Your Favorite Songs from The Walking Dead, Grey's, Sons of Anarchy and More
- TVLine's Performer of the Week: Audra McDonald
- Ratings: Shark Tank Draws All-Time High Audience, Bones, Grimm and Dracula Rise
- More From TVLine