Five finalists are selected -- three of them being completely identical-looking blonds. But who will win? They all look fairly cute. Suffice it to say that the finale of the pageant is all that you would expect. And the level of awesomeness of this show is also all you would expect -- from a beauty contest made by a chain of restaurants best known for selling chicken wings. Ahem.
The season finale on April 11 was the number one program in the 18-49 rating, the one that TV execs covet the most. Therefore, you can understand why 'Undercover Boss' easily earned a second season renewal. It won't be a mid-season drop in, either. You watch, it's going to be on the CBS upfront schedule for the fall.
But after three episodes (and seeing the preview of the fourth), a few troubling questions have come up that make me wonder if this show is going to be as illuminating as originally thought:
1. Why so many food service companies? Of the five episodes already scheduled, three involve food service companies (Hooters, 7-Eleven and White Castle). I know these companies have more manual-labor, entry-level jobs than a technology company might have, and seeing the CEO of 7-Eleven struggle to make coffee is fun to watch, but the formula is going to get a little boring after a while, isn't it?
But that's not the way it looked on 'Undercover Boss' (Sun., 9PM ET on CBS). Brooks wasn't happy with how one of his managers was interacting with the girls. Making them eat beans off a plate with no hands, with the winner getting the rest of the day off? Not classy. Even for Hooters. You could tell the guy knew his goose was cooked as soon as Brooks revealed himself.
Watch the video after the jump.
Remember the Russian girl from the pilot? Natasha with the new boobs -- thanks to the U.S. government, our tax dollars -- has gotten a job at Headlights (nee Hooters) and has hooked up with a new guy.
Turns out he's Marshall's charge, another program member, Serge. The problem is not just the huge coincidence that they've hooked up, it's that she's a witness and he's a felon, they cannot stay together.
Michael Scott (Steve Carell) was at his obnoxious best (or worst, depending on your point of view) in this episode. It's Spring Cleaning Day at Dunder Mifflin--although it's January, Michael wants to get it done today. Everybody has assigned tasks, and we can see that Dwight is a perfect fit in a supervisory role. We also learn that Oscar is out sick--on a Friday, no less--and Michael and Dwight call him at home to make sure everything's on the up and up. Michael is convinced that Oscar is suffering from the flu, but Dwight is not so sure, and undertakes an investigation.
At the same time, Pam is discussing her upcoming wedding to Roy. Michael inquires of Jim what the "411" is with his crush on her, but Jim implores him to keep it quiet. Michael, of course, can't keep it to himself and basically follows Jim around the office and makes veiled comments about the situation. Michael is acting like an annoying high-school kid, and Jim is doing everything possible to keep things on the down-low. Finally, Michael asks Jim out to lunch, so Jim reluctantly agrees.
Meanwhile, Dwight continues his investigation into Oscar being sick, and he ends up explaining with lying is, with little effect. Michael and Jim make it to lunch at Hooters, and you can tell Jim is very uncomfortable being around Michael, who makes bad breast jokes and has the Hooter girls sing "Happy Birthday" to him, even though it wasn't his birthday.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- American Idol: The Top 24's Motown Week Song Choices Revealed!
- Catfish's Nev Schulman Grades 7 of TV's Top Impostors from Arrow to PLL
- Grey's Anatomy Preview: How Are April and Jackson Weathering Their Loss?
- Pilot Scoop: Giovanni Ribisi Lands Title Role in CBS Drama Sneaky Pete
- House of Cards Season 3 Premiere Recap: 19 Must-See Moments
- More From TVLine
- David Beckham Embarrasses His Son Brooklyn With a Super Sweet Happy 16th Birthday Message
- 'The Osbournes' Mysterious Daughter Returns With an Amazing Voice and Creepy Music Video
- Idiot Criminal Gets Arrested After Taunting Police on Facebook
- A Shirtless Justin Bieber Covers 'Men's Health,' Talks Growing Up Too Fast
- Karrueche Tran Responds to Reports That Chris Brown Has a 9-Month-Old Daughter
- More From ET