Appearing on "Countdown" (Weekdays, 8 PM ET on MSNBC) Kurtz told Olbermann why he feels that way:
"There has to be some sort of line separating journalist -- and I know you consider yourself a journalist -- from partisan players. I would put giving money to politicians on the wrong side of that line."
Later, Kurtz spoke about the special privilege of being a journalist, and how it comes with certain sacrifices:
"I think we as journalists, and even as commentators, give up (the right to donate money) in order to get the kind of platform that you enjoy."
We're of the opinion that Olbermann is so outward with his liberal point-of-view that donating money to a politician would only constitute an ethical breach if he was giving to republican candidates.
Nevertheless, Kurtz's more old school way of looking at things is something to consider, particularly as the line between journalist and commentator gets more and more hazy.
"This Armenian Strife": It's just a fact: This American Life references are the greatest. It adds a bit of cheekiness to the not-so-fun topic of genocide. Senior Armeniologist Aasif Mandvi joined in to share his thoughts on playing down those not-so-fun situations. Only the Daily Show could get away with turning the "Holocaust" into a "Half-a-caust".
It looks like the rumors are true: Joe Scarborough is getting the Don Imus spot on MSNBC.
Howard Kurtz at The Washington Post is reporting that Scarborough and MSNBC are in final negotiations to make his Morning Joe show the permanent show in the 6am to 9am slot on the network. Scarborough has been filling in (with other hosts, such as David Gregory) since Imus went bye-bye, and has been getting good buzz (though not ratings). Some CBS radio stations might pick up the show as well.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'The Sound of Music Live!' live blog: Carrie Underwood, Stephen Moyer take the stage
- 'Doctor Who' Christmas special: The Doctor spanks his 'girlfriend' Clara - Watch
- 'Beauty and the Beast': Tom Everett Scott to recur in 2014
- 'Orphan Black' season 2 spoilers: Sarah and Rachel wage a war
- Dianna Agron, Heather Morris returning for 'Glee' 100th episode
- More From Zap2it
- Sleepy Hollow's Orlando Jones on Capt. Irving's Secret: 'It's Not What You're Expecting'
- The Voice Exclusive Outtakes: Fart Jokes, Saved by the Bell Threats and…Xtina Basketball Boasts?
- It's Official: Dianna Agron Returns to Glee
- Matt's Inside Line: Scoop on Once, New Girl, H50, Haven, Arrow, S.H.I.E.L.D, Mentalist, Reign & More
- American Idol Exclusive Season 13 Promo Video: There Will Be Guitars
- More From TVLine