1974 -- the start of the second revolution of live-action, Saturday morning programming. There's no clear reason why, after nearly a decade-and-a-half, the networks decided to infuse their schedules with more live-action fare. Perhaps, after 10 years of non-stop animation, they decided to mix the formula up. Perhaps they were looking to further model the Saturday morning schedule like their primetime partners. Or, perhaps they realized that ordering live-action programs was cheaper than ordering new cartoons.
IIIIII'mmmm going with 'cheap' as the main reason.
Of the fourteen shows that premiered in the 1974-75 season nearly a third of them were live-action programs. Only one of them came from the Sid and Marty Kroftt factory. The others came from two studios that hadn't had much experience with 30-minute, live-action fare...Filmation and Hanna-Barbera. The rest of the schedules were filled with animated retoolings of primetime programs, talking motorcycles, and dogs who performed karate. As we've done of the last few installments the 1974-75 season will be split into two parts. This time we'll look at CBS's schedule. So, if your Schwinn is in the garage, let's journey back to a far simpler time.
Here are the new TV DVDs, in stores tomorrow.
- The All-New Popeye Hour - Popeye and Friends
- Burn Notice - Season 1
- Californication - Season 1
- Dynasty - Season 3, Vol. 1
- ER - Season 9
- Galaxy High School - The Collection
- The Hudson Brothers Razzle Dazzle - Complete Series
- Jericho - Season 2 and Complete Series
- Meerkat Manor - Season 3
- The Naked Brothers Band - Polar Bears
- Popeye - Vol. 2: 1938-40
- The Real McCoys - Season 3
- Sabrina The Teenage Witch - Season 4
- The Suite Life of Zack and Cody - Lip Synchin in the Rain
- Transformers: Animated - Tranform and Roll Out
- Wanted: Dead or Alive - Best Of
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- [Video] 'Criminal Minds' Sneak Peek: The BAU Goes to Prison to Find an UnSub
- 7 Times 'The 100' Destroyed (and Then Restored) My Faith in Humanity
- 'American Idol' Predictions: Which 4 Guys are Going Home?
- 'The Bachelor' Family Blogs: Reactions to the Women Tell All
- 'Survivor: Worlds Apart' Prediction: Who Will Go Home in Week 2?
- More From BuddyTV
- The Voice Recap: Suspense & Disbelief
- Mindy Project Recap: A Nut, Busted
- Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Spring Premiere Recap: Oh, the Inhumanity!
- Pretty Little Liars Recap: I Must Confess
- Reality Check: Agony and Ecstasy of American Idol's Top 24! Plus: Should Voice Singers Show Their Tax Returns?
- More From TVLine
- Taylor Swift Grants Terminally Ill 4-Year-Old's Final Wish
- Spanish Actress Fakes Instagram Persona by Photoshopping Other Stars' Pics
- Chris Hemsworth Fails at 'Dirty Dancing' Lift in New 'SNL' Promos
- Star Shots: What's On Instagram?
- Giorgio Armani Says Madonna Has Herself to Blame for Brit Awards Tumble
- More From ET