Who doesn't like a little drama? We love it here at TV Squad. Of course, its usually the scripted kind that we obsess over, not the real-life variety. But it was hard to escape all of the behind-the-scenes scandals going on during the Aughts.
The backstage drama often spilled out onto the tube, in talk show interviews, reality series, and with the 24-hour news networks looking to fill time and boost their ratings. Needless to say, we had little trouble picking our top TV scandals of the '00s.
According to The Hollywood Reporter, the actor filed a complaint with SAG because the show used his picture without permission.
He hasn't even made his debut on the show yet (he starts tonight at 8 on NBC), but Isaiah Washington says that NBC has already said they might want to spinoff his Bionic Woman character because "there's been some relative excitement about my presence."
First of all, who the hell talks like that about themselves? There's been excitement about his presence? Um, OK. Second, Washington is only slated to do five episodes so far, and I think that if NBC really thought he was great then they would want to sign him to a full-time contract on Bionic Woman before taking the chance of spinning him off on his own show.
Even if the finale didn't leave us hanging all summer, it did ask some questions, such as: will Derek hook up with Lexie (Meredith's sister) or properly patch things up with Meredith, will Weber follow Derek's suggestion and stay, will George admit he loves Izzie and will he return to Seattle Grace, etc.? As Jonathan put it in his review of the finale: "Lots of questions, but as I said... no rush to find out the answers."
Spoilers after the jump!
Today, on TV Squad Daily:
- Snoop Dog, the reality show, is coming later this year.
- We've created a Springer generation... Jerry Springer celebrates 17 years on the air and gets his contract renewed for even more.
- Isaiah Washington's career seems to be doing just fine since being fired from Grey's Anatomy.
According to USA Today, NBC is set to announce that they've signed the actor to a development deal; under the deal, Washington will star in an action drama that he pitched the network, starting in the 2008-09 season. In the meantime, he will have a guest role on the network's upcoming remake of The Bionic Woman, playing a mysterious figure that will either help or hurt the main character, Jamie Sommers. He's signed for at least five episodes.
Today on TV Squad Daily:
Here's my shortlist of people who need to stop talking, asap.
1. Paris Hilton
2. Isaiah Washington
3. John Stamos
The video's embedded below, or you can subscribe to this podcast via our feed. Plus, you can also download the file directly.
Today on TV Squad Daily:
- If you're a fan of watching competitive eating (um, why?), you might understand why one of the "sport's" biggest stars is absolutely crushed to have developed severe jaw arthritis.
- Isaiah Washington isn't going away like he's supposed to.
- US Weekly has Paris fatigue... and I've got it too! Apparently it messes with your mind, because in the show I said "USA Weekly" instead of "US Weekly." Oops! I blame Paris!
Expect the interview to cover the too much publicized incidents with T.R. Knight and Patrick Dempsey as well as what happened at the Golden Globes, the rehab, the PSA, the fact that Washington got fired, that potential law suit against ABC and the media frenzy!
Today on TV Squad Daily:
- Isaiah Washington just ruined his last chance at not being viewed as a jerk.
- The Australian version of Big Brother just apologized for throwing water balloons of goo at Mexico's flag, but it might be a bit late for apologies.
- What's this I hear? The View might add a man?
Washington gave an interview to the Houston Chronicle, his hometown newspaper, where he says that actor T.R. Knight is the one who should have been fired from Grey's Anatomy. Sure, Washington is the one who practically got into a fistfight on set with co-star Patrick Dempsey after Washington used a derogatory gay slur referring to Knight. But, Washington says, Knight went on to have the nerve to be offended by it and ended up creating a negative work environment.
There probably comes a time in every controversy where the person involved should just...stop...talking.
Fired Grey's Anatomy star Isaiah Washington is now comparing himself to Malcolm X and Paul Robeson. He isn't happy about getting canned from the show after he apologized, went to "rehab" and did everything the network asked him to do, and now he wonders if it's because of who he is and not what he did.
TV Guide reports that during an interview, Howard Bragman, Washington's spokesperson, claimed that the actor is really angry. Yesterday, the actor issued a statement in which he said "I'm mad as hell, and I'm not going to take it anymore." The actor is now ready to take matter in his own hands and let the Network and show how mad he is.
Today on TV Squad Daily: Happy Friday!
- Isaiah Washington wasn't asked to return for another season of Grey's Anatomy. This is good news.
- Sarah Jessica Parker has a new line of cheap clothes, and says there's forward momentum on a Sex and the City movie, finally.
According to E! Online (who confirmed the story with ABC Television Studios), Washington, who portrayed Dr. Preston Burke, was informed yesterday that his contract will not be renewed. The actor's statement was succinct: "I'm mad as hell, and I'm not going to take it anymore."
Recall that Washington caused an uproar around the Grey's set and in the entertainment industry when he called co-star T.R. Knight a "faggot" late last year. Knight publicly came out of the closet after the incident, and Washington had to spend the rest of the season in damage control, going to "rehab" and meeting with representatives from GLAAD, among other forms of restitution. Apparently that incident, combined with an overall difficult attitude, sealed Washington's fate.
[thanks to Dorv and Jillian for the tips.]
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- Teen Wolf Season 4, Ed Sheeran Documentary Lead MTV's Newly Announced Summer Schedule
- Matt's Inside Line: Scoop on Vampire Diaries, POI, Once, Arrow, The Mentalist, Big Bang and More
- Memories from the Set: Ari Graynor Talks Jobs on The Sopranos, Fringe, Numb3rs and More
- Friday the 13th: Slasher Horror Classic in Development as Hour-long TV Drama
- Gracepoint Exclusive Photos: See Anna Gunn & David Tennant in Fox's Broadchurch Adaptation!
- More From TVLine
- Tori Spelling Acknowledges Her Cheating Past on 'True Tori'
- Bryan Singer Calls Underage Sex Abuse Allegations 'Vicious,' Pulls Out of 'X-Men' Promo Events
- Exclusive: Listen To Classic Funk Band War's New Single Off First Album in 20 Years
- Aaron Carter on Hilary Duff: I Would Sweep Her Off Her Feet (VIDEO)
- George Clooney Gets In Heated Altercation In Las Vegas
- More From ET