I'd like to think people didn't just automatically assume that this was a biopic about the Kennedys, though it certainly was playing with that notion intentionally by choosing that name. At its core, the show was simply another teen drama; the kind The WB had built a network around by the fall of 2004.
But it was also something more than that. It was an in-depth examination of the genesis of an American hero. How can someone go from being an ordinary person with ordinary problems into the most powerful man on the planet? While Jack and Bobby were typical all-American brothers, it was one of their destiny to rise to the seat of President of the United States by the mid-21st Century. That's the destination. Jack & Bobby was the journey.
This will be third time someone has made a go of adapting the film for television. I can't help but think think of this as a more serious Charmed. Will the male antagonist, played by Jack Nicholson in the film, remain throughout the series, or will he just be an early problem dealt with by the three witchy leads? Considering Friedman's resume also includes the horridly under-appreciated Jack and Bobby and the brilliant Once and Again, there are a lot of ways she could go with this.
Now that the 2008 presidential race has finally been narrowed down to two candidates, it's the perfect time to take a look back at the most memorable presidents ever seen on TV.
Well, the fictional ones, at least.
Well, the fictional ones, at least. How well do you know small-screen commanders-in-chief, from Jed Bartlet to Laura Roslin?
It looks like Everwood is really, really, really, really not coming back. You want proof? Well, how about the creator of the series, Greg Berlanti, leaving Warner Brothers TV and relocating to ABC and its sister production company Touchstone TV. Still don't believe me? Gosh, you're stubborn.
Berlanti, the creator of the recently canceled WB drama as well as the critically acclaimed Jack & Bobby (also canceled), has two drama pilots in development for ABC. One of them, a drama entitled Eli Stone, has earned a pilot order from the network. The other untitled drama, about a wealthy family seen through the eyes of their lawyer, has a script order.
According to Zap2it, Eli Stone, will center on a a lawyer (not the same one who represents the wealthy family) who thinks he is becoming a prophet because of visions he is having. Berlanti hopes that the show will discuss the subject of spirituality with a heartfelt sense of humor. The script for the show was written by Berlanti and Marc Guggenheim, who worked on Jack & Bobby as well as Law & Order and CSI:Miami.
- You can answer a series of questions on how you would improve American Idol for its upcoming fifth season. Who knows if anyone from the show will listen to you, but you can give them your two cents.
- In the print edition there's an interesting list of some A-list stars who do voice work in commercials. I knew Sean Connery was the voice Level 3 Communications and Gene Hackman did Oppenheimer Funds, but did you know that George Clooney does Budweiser, Julia Roberts does AOL, and Jeff Bridges does Duracell?
- Mark Harris likes the American version of The Office but doesn't like Eyes. Huh? If it was online I still wouldn't link to the piece.
- Jennifer Armstrong and Whitney Pastorek tell why they love this season of Alias (me too).
- A rundown on what's happening on the season finales of some struggling shows: Jack and Bobby (a good, unfairly neglected show), Charmed, Joan of Arcadia, Kevin Hill, and Smallville. Smallville is struggling?
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 7 Thanksgiving Episodes To Escape Your Family Drama -- Available to Stream Now
- The 25 Best Dances from 'Dancing with the Stars' Season 19
- 'Hart of Dixie' Season 4 Premiere Photos: All About Zoe and Wade
- 'Supernatural' Episode 10.8 Photos: A Sheriff's Retreat
- 'The Originals': 15 Moments of Love, Death and Reunions From 'The Brothers That Care Forgot'
- More From BuddyTV
- Reese Witherspoon and Nicole Kidman to Star in Big Little Lies Limited Series; David E. Kelley to Serve as Writer/Showrunner
- Supernatural Sneak Peek: Meet the Winchesters' Witchy New Big Bad
- TVLine Items: POI Spies Fringe Alum, Once Princess to Badlands and More
- Hart of Dixie Season 4 Bumped Up to December; See 9 New Premiere Photos
- Girlfriends' Guide to Divorce: A Dishy Lisa Edelstein Drinks with Andy Cohen in Fun Series-Prequel Clip
- More From TVLine
- Hugh Jackman Plays a Terrifying Blackbeard in New 'Pan' Trailer
- Johnny Depp on His Recent Critical Flops: I Just Don't Give a F*ck
- Nicole Richie is Getting a Crash Course (and Lots of Bruises) in Roller Derby!
- 'Jurassic World' Trailer Debuts: Chris Pratt vs. Hybrid Dinos!
- The Vamps Want To Collaborate With Ed Sheeran, Join Teens for Jeans Campaign!
- More From ET