I'd like to think people didn't just automatically assume that this was a biopic about the Kennedys, though it certainly was playing with that notion intentionally by choosing that name. At its core, the show was simply another teen drama; the kind The WB had built a network around by the fall of 2004.
But it was also something more than that. It was an in-depth examination of the genesis of an American hero. How can someone go from being an ordinary person with ordinary problems into the most powerful man on the planet? While Jack and Bobby were typical all-American brothers, it was one of their destiny to rise to the seat of President of the United States by the mid-21st Century. That's the destination. Jack & Bobby was the journey.
This will be third time someone has made a go of adapting the film for television. I can't help but think think of this as a more serious Charmed. Will the male antagonist, played by Jack Nicholson in the film, remain throughout the series, or will he just be an early problem dealt with by the three witchy leads? Considering Friedman's resume also includes the horridly under-appreciated Jack and Bobby and the brilliant Once and Again, there are a lot of ways she could go with this.
Now that the 2008 presidential race has finally been narrowed down to two candidates, it's the perfect time to take a look back at the most memorable presidents ever seen on TV.
Well, the fictional ones, at least.
Well, the fictional ones, at least. How well do you know small-screen commanders-in-chief, from Jed Bartlet to Laura Roslin?
It looks like Everwood is really, really, really, really not coming back. You want proof? Well, how about the creator of the series, Greg Berlanti, leaving Warner Brothers TV and relocating to ABC and its sister production company Touchstone TV. Still don't believe me? Gosh, you're stubborn.
Berlanti, the creator of the recently canceled WB drama as well as the critically acclaimed Jack & Bobby (also canceled), has two drama pilots in development for ABC. One of them, a drama entitled Eli Stone, has earned a pilot order from the network. The other untitled drama, about a wealthy family seen through the eyes of their lawyer, has a script order.
According to Zap2it, Eli Stone, will center on a a lawyer (not the same one who represents the wealthy family) who thinks he is becoming a prophet because of visions he is having. Berlanti hopes that the show will discuss the subject of spirituality with a heartfelt sense of humor. The script for the show was written by Berlanti and Marc Guggenheim, who worked on Jack & Bobby as well as Law & Order and CSI:Miami.
- You can answer a series of questions on how you would improve American Idol for its upcoming fifth season. Who knows if anyone from the show will listen to you, but you can give them your two cents.
- In the print edition there's an interesting list of some A-list stars who do voice work in commercials. I knew Sean Connery was the voice Level 3 Communications and Gene Hackman did Oppenheimer Funds, but did you know that George Clooney does Budweiser, Julia Roberts does AOL, and Jeff Bridges does Duracell?
- Mark Harris likes the American version of The Office but doesn't like Eyes. Huh? If it was online I still wouldn't link to the piece.
- Jennifer Armstrong and Whitney Pastorek tell why they love this season of Alias (me too).
- A rundown on what's happening on the season finales of some struggling shows: Jack and Bobby (a good, unfairly neglected show), Charmed, Joan of Arcadia, Kevin Hill, and Smallville. Smallville is struggling?
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Wayward Pines' Interview: M. Night Shyamalan on Shocking Death and Darker Turn
- 'Bachelorette' Star Kaitlyn Bristowe on Pre-Fantasy Suite Sex: 'I Don't Know Why Everyone is So Shocked'
- 'The Bachelor' Season 11 Week 2 Photos: Punchlines and Punches
- 'Survivor: Worlds Apart': Ranking the 13 Most Shocking Tribal Councils from Season 30
- 'The Flash': The 10 Most Villainous Moments of Season 1
- More From BuddyTV
- Fuller House: Olsen Twins Not Returning as Michelle, EP Confirms
- The Good Wife: Matthew Goode Exits Ahead of Season 7
- American Crime Story: Cuba Gooding, Jr. as O.J. Simpson & More Cast Photos
- TVLine Items: Danny Trejo's Dusk Role Revealed, McHale Hosts ESPYS & More
- Humans First Look: AMC Drama Offers Eerie Take on Androids Among Us
- More From TVLine
- Who Runs the World? Beyonce Reminds Us She's the Queen
- Ryan Reynolds Makes a Young Cancer Patient's Wish Come True on 'Deadpool' Set
- Taylor Swift's BFF Karlie Kloss Wants a 'Bad Blood' Movie
- Watch O.J. Simpson's Bronco Ride Again! Behind the Scenes of 'American Crime Story'
- Khloe Kardashian's Waist Training Is Working Out
- More From ET