I'd like to think people didn't just automatically assume that this was a biopic about the Kennedys, though it certainly was playing with that notion intentionally by choosing that name. At its core, the show was simply another teen drama; the kind The WB had built a network around by the fall of 2004.
But it was also something more than that. It was an in-depth examination of the genesis of an American hero. How can someone go from being an ordinary person with ordinary problems into the most powerful man on the planet? While Jack and Bobby were typical all-American brothers, it was one of their destiny to rise to the seat of President of the United States by the mid-21st Century. That's the destination. Jack & Bobby was the journey.
This will be third time someone has made a go of adapting the film for television. I can't help but think think of this as a more serious Charmed. Will the male antagonist, played by Jack Nicholson in the film, remain throughout the series, or will he just be an early problem dealt with by the three witchy leads? Considering Friedman's resume also includes the horridly under-appreciated Jack and Bobby and the brilliant Once and Again, there are a lot of ways she could go with this.
Now that the 2008 presidential race has finally been narrowed down to two candidates, it's the perfect time to take a look back at the most memorable presidents ever seen on TV.
Well, the fictional ones, at least.
Well, the fictional ones, at least. How well do you know small-screen commanders-in-chief, from Jed Bartlet to Laura Roslin?
It looks like Everwood is really, really, really, really not coming back. You want proof? Well, how about the creator of the series, Greg Berlanti, leaving Warner Brothers TV and relocating to ABC and its sister production company Touchstone TV. Still don't believe me? Gosh, you're stubborn.
Berlanti, the creator of the recently canceled WB drama as well as the critically acclaimed Jack & Bobby (also canceled), has two drama pilots in development for ABC. One of them, a drama entitled Eli Stone, has earned a pilot order from the network. The other untitled drama, about a wealthy family seen through the eyes of their lawyer, has a script order.
According to Zap2it, Eli Stone, will center on a a lawyer (not the same one who represents the wealthy family) who thinks he is becoming a prophet because of visions he is having. Berlanti hopes that the show will discuss the subject of spirituality with a heartfelt sense of humor. The script for the show was written by Berlanti and Marc Guggenheim, who worked on Jack & Bobby as well as Law & Order and CSI:Miami.
- You can answer a series of questions on how you would improve American Idol for its upcoming fifth season. Who knows if anyone from the show will listen to you, but you can give them your two cents.
- In the print edition there's an interesting list of some A-list stars who do voice work in commercials. I knew Sean Connery was the voice Level 3 Communications and Gene Hackman did Oppenheimer Funds, but did you know that George Clooney does Budweiser, Julia Roberts does AOL, and Jeff Bridges does Duracell?
- Mark Harris likes the American version of The Office but doesn't like Eyes. Huh? If it was online I still wouldn't link to the piece.
- Jennifer Armstrong and Whitney Pastorek tell why they love this season of Alias (me too).
- A rundown on what's happening on the season finales of some struggling shows: Jack and Bobby (a good, unfairly neglected show), Charmed, Joan of Arcadia, Kevin Hill, and Smallville. Smallville is struggling?
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 5 Reasons Why You Should Watch 'Chasing Life' Season 2
- 'The Bachelorette' Prediction: Who Will Be Sent Home Week 8?
- Claudia Jordan on Being Fired on 'RHOA': 'It's Not Over Until the Fat Lady Sings'
- 'RHOA' Star Cynthia Bailey: 'The Show Has Never Been About One Person'
- 'The Bachelorette' Spoilers: Kaitlyn's Confession and the Big Showdown
- More From BuddyTV
- Nashville's Jonathan Jackson Previews Lucky's 'Whirlwind' GH Return
- Ratings: The USA's FIFA Women's World Cup Win Sets Record
- Wayward Pines Video: Has the First Generation Suffered a Tragic Loss?
- Penny Dreadful Season Finale Recap: Blood, Threat and Tears
- Food Network Star Recap: A Thin Line Between Love and Hate
- More From TVLine
- Stars That Step Out in Same Style
- NHL Star Tyler Seguin's Tip for Getting Naked in ESPN Body Issue: ‘Moisturize'
- Britney Spears Recreates the 'Oops!... I Did It Again' Cover with Sons Sean & Jayden
- Miley Cyrus' Fourth of July Celebration Is Just as Bananas as You'd Expect
- Ashton Kutcher and Mila Kunis Wed in Secret Ceremony!
- More From ET