McKenzie joked, "I'm gonna go back to New Zealand tomorrow, maybe film it next week. And then edit it the week after. I don't know how familiar you are with movies, but there's a lot of behind the scenes stuff that could take one or two weeks. And then, probably in about a month we'll have a premiere."
'Conchords' co-creator James Bobin, who's fresh off directing the new 'Muppets' movie, told StarPulse that he's game: "I'd love to do it. It's just a question of what it would be and when we would do it, but I'm sure because that's what I want to make happen at some point."
Why? Because, while Neil Patrick Harris gets all the attention, Segel has quietly become the comedic glue of the show, able to do subtle humor and physical shtick with the best of them. Also, despite his relative youth, he has expressed his love of the Muppets in the past. So we had a feeling that he was going to produce a script that recalled the best of the Muppet flicks, 'The Muppet Movie' and 'The Great Muppet Caper,' while keeping a modern edge.
Now The Hollywood Reporter's Heat Vision blog has the news that Segel will also be starring in the movie, tentatively titled 'The Greatest Muppet Movie of All Time,' as the Muppets' live action buddy, who along with Kermit seeks to reunite the gang to save their old theater. Huzzahs all around.
James Bobin has signed on to direct the new Muppet movie. Bobin co-created the television version of Flight of the Conchords (as opposed to the band itself, which was co-created by Jermaine Clement and Bret McKenzie).
So it's a writer who has predominantly worked in television who is directing a movie about a group of characters who became famous from a television show. The movie itself is co-written by Jason Segel, star of How I Met Your Mother, who is rumored to be a Muppet-maniac. I'm still waiting for his Broadway production of Dracula, the Puppet Musical.
As a Muppet fan myself, I'm happy about this piece of news. I have enjoyed Bobin's work on Da Ali G Show and Flight of the Conchords without being aware of his involvement. I just hope Bobin shows love and respect for the franchise and we don't end up with another Muppets' Wizard of Oz.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Teen Wolf' Recap: The Pack Takes a Trip Down Memory Lane
- 'The Bachelorette: After the Final Rose' Recap: A Happy Couple and a Broken Heart
- Meet the Designers of 'Project Runway' Season 14
- 'Becoming Us' Recap: Carly Undergoes Surgery
- 'The Bachelorette' Season 11 Finale Recap: Who Does Kaitlyn Choose?
- More From BuddyTV
- Tom Cruise Goes All Out Against Jimmy Fallon in Amazing Lip Sync Battle
- 'The Bachelorette': Kaitlyn Bristowe's Stunning Finale Looks
- Bachelor/Bachelorette Final Couples
- Bobbi Kristina Brown's Death: Nick Gordon 'Has Suffered Greatly,' His Mother Says
- 'The Bachelorette' Finale: Did Kaitlyn Bristowe Pick Shawn Booth or Nick Viall?
- More From ET