The sports talk show, which replaced 'Costas Now' last June, was perhaps best known for its rocky premiere episode, during which 'Howard Stern''s Artie Lange infamously referred to Jessica Simpson as a "fat chick."
Subsequent episodes suffered in the ratings, with its most recent episode pulling in just a 1.2 rating, according to the report.
"Joe Buck is one of the premier broadcasters in our industry. We have made the decision not to continue his talk show and wish him all the best and continued success with his wide array of responsibilities at Fox Sports ... It was a privilege to work with him at HBO. Joe worked tirelessly on the three shows, and we appreciate his professionalism and immense talent," HBO Sports president Ross Greenburg said in a statement.
I think we can assume the guy got at least one beer from the concession stand.
Listen, I know it's only pre-season and everyone -- including the networks -- are working out the kinks, but I expect Buck and Aikman to be on top of their game. They usually are, so I guess I was surprised by the sloppy effort.
-- How well do you know your TV dads? Take the Father's Day quiz to find out [BuzzSugar]
-- Joe Buck is talking the talk with Asylum. Read the play-by-play interview [Asylum]
-- T.R. Knight is leaving 'Grey's Anatomy.' But it looks like George O'Malley won't be missed by everyone [Test Pattern]
(more headlines after the jump)
If you didn't see it, let me tell you this much: Artie didn't kill the show; it was already dead when he got there. What he did was the equivalent of finding a dead squirrel (with awful, frat-boy hair), filling it full of firecrackers, then cackling gleefully as the guts rained down onto Jason Sudeikis and Paul Rudd.
Artie Lange's appearance on Joe Buck Live was boorish, crude, mean-spiritied, and blatantly homophobic. It was the kind of thing that'll probably end the career of the poor person who booked him on the show.
It's also something that we need a hell of a lot more of...
Anyone catch the live broadcast of Costas NOW last night? I was lucky enough to get a few tickets and went to the live taping in Manhattan with my girlfriend. And I really do mean lucky. Not only did we get seated in the front row, but we were seated right in front of all the panelists. Everyone. Joe Buck, Cris Carter, Mitch Albom, Mike Tirico, Michael Wilbon, John McEnroe... the list goes on. And of course, Bob Costas was only a few feet in front of us on stage. For a sports and TV fanatic, it was very impressive. So why am I writing about it? The town hall format of the show covered a lot of hot topics in sports, but there were a couple segments that really stood out because they directly relate to what we're doing here at TV Squad -- blogging and athletes' (or in our case TV celebs, writers, and producers) reactions to the media.
So it comes as no big surprise that, according to the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, the network gave Buck the choice to do one or the other next year, but not both. Wisely, Buck chose to stay in the booth. Curt Menefee, who ably took the anchor chair during halftimes, post-game shows, and when Buck was working the baseball playoffs, will be installed as the permanent host.
- Lawsuit filed against Dog the boutny hunter.
- Here's a link to a possible Amazon download preview.
- Winner of Big Brother UK announced.
- Fox to offer shows on the web via local station sites.
- Avenue Q writers to write songs for a Scrubs episode.
- ABC greenlights Crime Prevention Unit.
- NBC files complaint with NLRB over webisode dispute with WGA.
- Pat Summerall went a little nutso after his liver transplant.
- Ebert sends an e-mail about his surgeries and long recovery.
- Voice actor Tony Jay dies.
- William Dozier's heirs sue over rights to Batman series.
- The Jim Henson Company launches a podcast.
- Jane Krakowsi cast in Rachel Dratch's former role on 30 Rock.
- CBS to sumulcast Couric's Evening News on the web.
- USA to show lots of Law & Order.
- Little Richard to be a judge on Celebrity Duets.
- Elizabeth Vargas gives birth to a boy.
- YouTube to offer every music video ever created.
- Tony Kornheiser rips into WaPo colleague.
- Something big may happen on Lost this season.
- Justin Timberlake criticizes Taylor Hicks.
- The celebrity part of Celebrity Duets is announced.
- Bruno Kirby dead at 57.
- Lorne Michaels talks a new 30 Rock role for Dratch and a streamlined SNL.
- USA picks up pilot from Steve-O.
- Joe Buck named host of Fox NFL pre-game show.
- iPod users shut out of Fox's new download service.
- Networks torn on illegal downloads of fall pilots.
- The new cast of Dancing with the Stars announced.
- Ricky Gervais reprises David Brent for Microsoft.
- Take a look at Cracked's favorite drug-fueled talk-show guests.
- Adam talks about the new book from Subway's Jared Fogle.
- Here is the video of Denis Miller ranting during a Red Sox game.
- What's your favorite part of Entourage?
- Is Hell's Kitchen fake, even for a reality show?
- Should network news be an hour long?
- Creepy puppets.
- What Bob would like to see on reality shows.
- My fall picks.
- Anna's fall picks.
- Annie's fall picks.
- Will Paris hold the Guinness record for Most Overrated Celebrity? Adam hopes so.
- Adam talks about Tough Crowd.
- Chris thinks that local sports broadcasters should just concentrate on local sports.
- Bob rips into KCAL reporter for breaking news of a celebrity death to other celebs.
- Adam wonders if Elmo is killing Sesame Street.
- Anna wants Samantha Brown's job.
- Rich gives an early review of Fox's Vanished.
- The X-Files: "Gender Bender"
- Sports Night: "Rebecca"
- Firefly: "The Message"
- The Simpsons: "Bart vs. Australia"
- Angel: "She"
- The Prisoner: "Hammer Into Anvil"
- Seinfeld: "The Suicide"
- The Office (BBC): Episode 12
- Buffy: "Prophecy Girl"
- Futurama: "Mars University"
- Monk: "Mr. Monk Gets a New Shrink"
- Stargate SG-1: "200"
- It's Always Sunny...: "Dennis and Dee Get a New Dad" (finale)
- Big Brother All-Stars: Elimination #6
- 30 Days: "New Age"
- Project Runway: "Waste Not, Want Not"
- Rock Star: Supernova: Week 7 Elimination
- Eureka: "Invincible"
- Rescue Me: "Twilight"
- Weeds: "Corn Snake"
- Kyle XY: "Memory Serves"
- Hell's Kitchen: Season Finale
- Entourage: "I Wanna be Sedated"
Tom of the LA Daily News blog "Farther Off the Wall" was wondering, too, so he contacted Fox. A producer told him that Barberie's work on Good Day L.A. was going to make it hard for her to stick to the pre-game show's traveling schedule, and they didn't want her to work remotely because they'd lose the interaction she had with Terry Bradshaw, Howie Long, and Jimmy Johnson. So Jillian's out. Too bad; she was annoying as hell, but so much nicer to look at than Johnson's toupee. But, good news everyone: we'll still get plenty of Frank Caliendo.
Bob Raissman of the New York Daily News, who reported on the unconfirmed rumors yesterday, felt that Fox was making too safe of a move with Buck. According to Raissman, it was a perfect opportunity for Fox to develop someone new in the host role, someone who can evolve as he tries to corral Terry Bradshaw, Howie Long, and Jimmy Johnson. I'm not quite sure about that argument; after all, for every Bob Costas that gets a chance to shine in the studio, there's two Brent Musburgers that make us want to throw things at the screen. Those aren't good odds, as far as I'm concerned.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Arrow' Episode 3.5 Photos: Felicity's Origin Story
- 'Sons of Anarchy' Episode 7.9 Photos: Conflict and Heartache Strike SAMCRO
- 'The 100' Episode 2.3 Photos: Clarke and Anya Attempt an Escape
- 'Reign' Episode 2.6 Photos: Mary and Catherine on the Run
- Best 'Bones' Quotes from 'The Corpse at the Convention'
- More From BuddyTV
- NBC Recast Scoop: Uma Thurman In, Mary-Louise Parker Out in The Slap
- Sharon Stone to Play Female Veep in TNT's Newly Greenlit Agent X
- Bad Judge and A to Z Cancelled by NBC
- The Originals Photos: Esther Tortures Elijah — Plus: Her Master Plan Revealed
- TVLine Items: Bradley Cooper's Limitless Pilot, Vicious Season 2 & More
- More From TVLine
- Snooki Opens Up About Her New Baby, Upcoming Wedding and Not Having Sex
- Child Services Investigating Honey Boo Boo's Family, Grandmother Says
- 19 Rules Everyone Should Follow on Halloween (Yes, That Means You Too)
- Paternity Test Confirms Beyonce Has a Secret 4-Year-Old Sister
- EXCLUSIVE! How 'Big Bang Theory' Surprised Fans With Billy Bob Thornton's Guest Spot!
- More From ET