July 23, 2014
Journey to Babel
by Allison Waldman, posted May 10th 2009 9:03AM
Today is Mother's Day, and while J.J. Abrams' new big screen version of Star Trek re-imagines the mythology of the Enterprise crew and vanquishes Spock's mother Amanda in an alternate time line, I prefer to remember Spock's mother the way she was on television. On the original Star Trek episode that aired on November 17, 1967, "Journey to Babel," introduced Ambassador Sarek of Vulcan and his lovely human wife Amanda, when they boarded the Enterprise on a diplomatic mission. It was a shock to Captain Kirk to discover that the elegant older couple were not merely envoys, they were in fact, Spock's parents.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 15 Reasons to Attend Comic-Con with the Gang from 'The Big Bang Theory'
- 'Pretty Little Liars': 17 Moments of Drinking, Spying and Kissing from 'The Silence of E. Lamb'
- 'The Bachelorette' Family Blogs: Andi on the Audience Admirer, Closure and the Lie Detector Results
- 'RHONYC': Aviva Drescher Addresses Her Leg Toss
- 'SYTYCD' Predictions: Which Top 16 Dancers Are Safe?
- More From BuddyTV
- Resurrection Casts Michelle Fairley as [Spoiler]'s 'Returned' Mother
- Scandal Books Portia de Rossi for a 'Top-Secret Arc'
- Sneak Peek: Can Last Comic's Nikki Roast Gilbert Gottfried to a Crisp?
- ABC's black-ish Makes Bold (Fashion) Statement in Key Art — First Look
- Ratings: Talent Dips But Dominates, Food Fighters Comes Out Half-Baked
- More From TVLine
- The Rock Explains What Was In His '90s Throwback Fanny Pack
- Zoe Saldana and Marco Perego Expecting First Child (REPORT)
- Vanessa Lachey Shows Off Baby Bump in a Very Strange Outfit
- Hilary Duff's New Music Is Coming Sooner Than You Think
- Steve Irwin's Daughter Remembers Her Dad: Time Doesn't Heal All Wounds
- More From ET