Back in 2008, I was lucky enough to get to visit the set of Burn Notice and interview Sharon Gless. At that time, Sharon said that she was trying to get her co-star from Cagney & Lacey -- and good friend -- Tyne Daly to guest on Burn Notice, but Tyne was only interested if she could play her part sans words. "Tyne said, 'I'll do it, but I want to play her as a mute.' Only Tyne Daly! And believe me, she'll steal the show. Matt said he wants to use her -- but not as a mute!"
Tomorrow night, Tyne Daly and Sharon Gless will be reunited on TV in an episode of Burn Notice called "The Dark Road." Tyne Daly will not be playing a mute. In fact, according to Sharon, "It's very, very unusual the situations that they put me in with Tyne. They had me go undercover." It sounds like a fun way to kick off the second half of season three. And hopefully, Tyne Daly will get to watch it. You see, in a recent conference call with the two stars, Ms. Daly and Ms. Gless talked about working together again and more.
So I was ultra excited when I heard she would be playing McDreamy's mom on Grey's Anatomy. Isabelle posted a spoiler about it last week. Apparently, Tyne will be playing Derek's mom, Carolyn, who travels to Seattle to meet Meredith for the first time. You know, I can really see her as Derek's mom. That's good casting.
I've got a little clip below from Access Hollywood, but first, let me sing Tyne's praises for a minute. Here's a woman who never really fit into the Hollywood "mold" (i.e. blonde and/or thin and/or a party animal), and that's probably why she's been working steadily in the entertainment industry for some 50 years. Yes, on her IMDB page, her first credit was "girl" in a TV show called Foreign Intrigue in 1954. She went on to do bit parts in dozens of TV shows until landing the role of Detective Mary Beth Lacey in Cagney & Lacey from 1982 to 1988.
Is that Wednesday? my babysitter asks. Are you sure that's not Wednesday?
It is Wednesday, a.k.a. Christina Ricci, with her hand inside a patient. Actually, her name is "Hannah," and maybe she's going to have a recurring role: she thinks Alex is cute.
In other news, Bailey is in labor, her husband is MIA, and that chick from Judging Amy is screaming at the top of her lungs. Oh, and Meredith has a "feeling." And this feeling, we all know it isn't good. Shivers are running up and down my spine and every word is full of import.
I mean, except for the first bit, to keep the post-Super Bowl crowd hooked - the girl-on-girl-on-girl shower scene. Oh yeah, baby. It's entirely delicious, superfluous fluff. The whole room loves it despite its salaciousness. And I have to say, although Izzie is always the most babe-ilicious, the makeup and camera people should be given kudos - all three of them are soft porn-worthy.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'iZombie' Series Premiere Photos: How to Live Like a Zombie
- 'American Idol' Season 14: Top 8 Guys Performance Rankings
- 'Dancing with the Stars' Season 20 Official Couples Photos
- 'American Crime' Review: ABC's New Gritty Drama Tackles Race and Social Class
- Best 'Suits' Quotes from Season 4 Finale
- More From BuddyTV
- Scandal: Dan Bucatinsky, Kate Burton Returning Later This Season
- Samantha Bee Exits The Daily Show to Headline Her Own TBS Series
- Glee Series Finale Photos: Klaine's Future, Rachel's Big Win and More
- Pilot News: Peter Gallagher Joins Fox's Collegiate Comedy Detour
- TVLine Items: FX Eyes Jenny Slate Show, Chev & Bev Adds Hellcat & More
- More From TVLine
- Watch a Fan ask James Franco to Prom -- Did He Say 'Yes'?!
- 7 Things I Learned While Working Out With Celebrity Trainer Tracy Anderson
- Celebs' Fashionable Siblings Reveal Hot New Looks for Spring
- Oasis' Noel Gallagher Bashes Taylor Swift, But Isn't Bothered By Harry Styles
- Here's What It's Like To Ride The World's Tallest Giga Coaster
- More From ET