You may not have realized it after coming off of your President's Day Booze and Beef BBQ, but February 17th was the voluntary day for television stations to turn off those piddly analog signals and crank up their digital ones. Other than one guy shooting his television over the conversion, the switchover of about a quarter of the 1800 television stations in the U.S. went off fairly smoothly. Course, this was just the dress rehearsal. The real performance will be on June 12th, which has become the new 'no change' cut over date.
Being a proud citizen of the United States, I thought I'd take your pulse once again and find out if any stations in your viewing area cut over on Tuesday. If they did, and you were one of those remaining folks without a cable hookup, did you encounter any problems with your new digital converter box? Also, just out of curiosity, was there one major market station that remained in analog mode while the others jumped into the digital pool?
Come on, Americans! Let your voice ring out on this matter.
Seriously, though, will it matter if the transition date is February, June, or sometime in Obama's second administration? At this point, even the most casual observer has figured out that the transition hasn't been communicated very well to the American public. People who have cable or satellite still think that they need to buy a new HDTV or upgrade to digital cable in order to be compliant with the conversion, people who got discount coupons for converters early on have found that the coupons have expired and they can't get more, and the people who have converted are being surprised that some weak stations won't come in due to the "digital cliff effect."
- Charlie Rose: The host returns tonight and talks about his recovery with guests Bill Moyers, Thomas L. Friedman, and Yvette Vega
- The Daily Show: Thomas Friedman
- The Colbert Report: Robert F. Kennedy Jr.
- The Late Show With David Letterman: Paris Hilton and Will Shortz
- Jay Leno: Keanu Reeves, Joey Lauren Adams, and Gnarls Barkley
- Jimmy Kimmel Live: Dane Cook, Brett Ratner, and Tyler Snyder (repeat)
- Late Night With Conan O'Brien: Lindsay Lohan, Colin Hanks, and Coldplay (repeat)
- The Late, Late Show With Craig Ferguson: Anthony Michael Hall, Sara Rue, and Secret Machines
- Last Call With Carson Daly: Josh Lucas and Godsmack (repeat)
- At 8, ABC has a repeat Wife Swap, then a repeat Supernanny, then a new ep of How To Get The Guy. Wow, what a crappy night of television.
- CBS has repeats of King of Queens, How I Met Your Mother, Two and a Half Men, Old Christine, and CSI: Miami.
- NBC has Hurricanes/Oilers Stanley Cup action at 8.
- Over on FOX at 8, the two hour season premiere of Hell's Kitchen.
- The WB has two 7th Heaven repeats, while UPN has repeats of One on One, All of Us, Girlfriends, and Half & Half.
- A&E has Look! Up In The Sky, the history of Superman, at 8.
- Also at 8: AMC has the Bond flick, From Russia With Love.
- At 9, the Travel Channel has a new Steve Irwin's Great Escapes, followed by a new Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations.
- Biography has a profile of The Rat Pack at 9.
- Food Network has a new "Outdoor Grilling" ep of Unwrapped at 9.
- Also at 9: TNT has the season premiere of The Closer, followed by the debut of Saved.
- At 10, ESPN has World Cup coverage.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'The Bachelorette' Season 11 Finale Photos: Kaitlyn Says Yes!
- 'Bachelor in Paradise' Season 2 Premiere Photos: Who Will the Mystery Woman Be?
- 15 Times Taylor Swift Lyrics Perfectly Described 'Pretty Little Liars'
- 'The Bachelorette' Season 11: Ranking the 11 Most Memorable Meltdowns
- 'Teen Wolf': 17 Freaky Moments from 'Required Reading'
- More From BuddyTV
- NBC's The Wiz Casts Queen Latifah as Wizard, Mary J. Blige as Wicked Witch
- TV's Steamiest Sex: Watch Pulse-Raising OITNB, Scandal and Thrones Scenes (*If Your Boss Isn't Looking)
- Bloodline Season 2: Ben Mendelsohn Returning as Series Regular
- Welcome to Sweden Cancelled
- UnREAL Is 'Terrible,' Bachelor Host Chris Harrison Incorrectly Claims
- More From TVLine
- Bobbi Kristina Brown's Friend on Her Final Days: 'I Played Her Mom's Music'
- Stars Share Pics of Their Cute Kids
- Justin Bieber Surprises Young Boy With Down Syndrome, Makes Entire Family Cry
- Khloe Kardashian's Personal Trainer Says She's an 'Animal'
- Tragedy Strikes Ex-College Cheerleader on 'Extreme Weight Loss'
- More From ET