Many of the guest stars booked to appear in the first season of 'Scandal,' which is scheduled to debut in early 2012, have also roamed the halls of Seattle Grace. Kate Burton and Jeff Perry, otherwise known as Ellis and Thatcher Grey, will both play Washington D.C. higher-ups in the new series, which stars Kerry Washington as Olivia Pope, a PR crisis management consultant who specializes in ushering politicians and other celebs through very public scandals.
Burton will recur as the Vice President starting in episode 5, while Perry plays the White House Chief of Staff. JoBeth Williams, who played Addison's mom on 'Private Practice,' will appear as a major client during the series' third episode.
'Two and a Half Men' star Jon Cryer, who is up for a Best Supporting Actor award this year, will be joined on the presenting roster by actors from both established shows and upcoming new ones.
The other five presenters announced Wednesday are: Bryan Cranston ('Breaking Bad'), Scott Caan ('Hawaii Five-0'), Claire Danes ('Homeland'), Kerry Washington ('Scandal') and Jason O'Mara ('Terra Nova').
Since the man seemingly won't sleep until he controls every successful TV talent show out there, he's launching a new country music comeptition series on CMT.
'CMT's Next Superstar' will debut its 10-episode first season in April, Entertainment Weekly reports.
"This isn't just a singing competition. The contestants will also be judged on their songwriting, radio interviews and music videos," Lythgoe said in a statement. "We're looking for more than just a singer. We want the complete creative, talented package -- performer, personality and writer. We want the next country superstar."
In other TV news ...
• The CW picked up another pilot, based on 'Vampire Diaries' author L.J. Smith's 'Secret Circle' series. That's not the only TVD connection; co-creator Kevin Williamson just joined the project as an executive producer. No vampires in this one, though. Just witches. [The Hollywood Reporter]
• Kerry Washington has booked the lead role in 'Grey's Anatomy' creator Shonda Rhimes' new pilot. Washington will play Olivia Price, a high-powered crisis-management consultant in 'In Crisis.' [Deadline]
• The 'Top Chef All Stars' finale will take place in the noted culinary capital of ... the Bahamas? Maybe the crew just wanted to get out of the snowy disaster that has been New York City for the past few months. The four-part finale will begin airing next month. "The setting gets the contestants excited because it takes them out of their element and gives them great ingredients," judge Gail Simmons said. [TV Guide]
(S06E11) Project Runway finally explained why different people won challenges this season instead of just Irina and Althea winning all of them. This week's challenge was to make a companion piece to the contestants' winning looks. Unfortunately, Logan has never won a challenge. With one day and $100, they had to make it work.
On paper, the challenge sounds like an interesting way of thinking of cohesive collections. Most of these designers have an aesthetic (Carol Hannah doesn't like pants, Christopher likes full skirts). For Gordana, Christopher, and Logan, the companion pieces that they made neither complimented, nor improved on their original outfits.
(S02E11) " I like my wine like I like my men -- white & hairy" -- Mira's mother, Phylis Gaffney, to Shawn Spencer
After a few months break (with a holiday special in-between) Psych returned to the USA Network schedule this week with a slew of new episodes that were completed long before the Writers' Strike began. This is good news because 1) it's one more scripted show in an ocean of reality programming and 2) it gives them a full episode load to air on NBC starting in March. I've always felt that this comedy has been overlooked because of the day and time it airs, and I hope that its showing on network television will give more people an opportunity to see just how good it is.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey': President Barack Obama to introduce FOX special
- Showtime's 'Gucci: The Director' gives a close-up view of Gucci creative director Frida Giannini's vision and life
- 'Star Wars: The Clone Wars' Season 6 debuts on Netflix: Did the final season tie up all the loose ends?
- 'The Trip to Bountiful': Blair Underwood is caught between the love of two very different women
- Watch '24: Live Another Day' new promo: There's no going home for Jack Bauer
- More From Zap2it
- Pilot News: Robert Patrick, Amy Sedaris and a Desperate Housewife Are Among Latest Castings
- Hot Video: In 24: Live Another Day, All Jack Must Stop Is a New 'World War'— Also: Is That…?!
- Pilot Scoop: Supernatural Spin-Off Gets a New Title, Casts Its Final Series Regular
- Ratings: Grimm, Enlisted and Undercover Boss Tick Up, Hannibal Falls
- Performer of the Week: Castle's Stana Katic
- More From TVLine