Let's see, he covered a pivotal scene from 'Planet of the Apes,' his favorite movie ('Shaft'), his least favorite movie ('E.T.'), his biological mother (Katharine Hepburn), losing his virginity at the age of six, Marion Barry, and e-Harmony.
And we're sure there were a few more Easter eggs hidden in there.
Watch the video after the jump.
"I am NOT fat enough to eject off of a Southwest Airline flight," Smith podcasted. "I could fit into a Southwest Airline seat ... this is the important part of the story ... If I have to, I can fly one seat in Southwest ... I just opt not to because it's way more comfortable. And I've got enough money to do it."
What say you, readers? Should Southwest have kicked him off the plane?
Watch the video after the jump.
- Around this time of year, it's always good to get the kids out of the house. But is taking them to go see Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeakquel a worthwhile family adventure?
- If chipmunks aren't up your alley, Cinematical talks about the best family films of the decade.
- I love going to see a movie over the holidays, but this year I'm in the Outer banks with the family and the local movie theater has actually closed for the season. So while I would really like to see Sherlock Holmes, I can't. I can, however, read Cinematical's Sherlock Holmes review here.
- We have been watching a lot of DVDs though, including The Hangover, which is on Cinematical's Blu-Ray/DVD shopping guide.
- One of the movies I'm looking forward to the most is Cop Out, the Tracy Morgan/ Bruce Willis cop movie, directed by Kevin Smith. It was originally supposed to be called, A Couple of Dicks, but in any case, it finally has a trailer.
- Live Free or Die Hard on Blu-Ray for $7.99? I'm there. Check out that and other Best Buy Black Friday movie deals.
- I know Funny People didn't exactly kill at the box office, but I loved it. It's coming out on Blu-Ray soon, and Cinematical scored an interview with writer/director Judd Apatow to talk about it.
- Forbes came out with a list of the 10 most overpaid actors in Hollywood, and number 1 may surprise you.
- Cinematical wants this clip of Kevin Smith talking about the Twilight saga to be the last word on the matter. I agree.
- What do you think about Bones becoming a giant Avatar promo?
- Mark Ruffalo and Adrian Brody? Yes, please. Read the review of their new movie, The Brothers Bloom, on Cinematical.
- I never saw the original Night at the Museum, but I heard from someone who attended the premiere that the sequel had several actual laugh-out-loud moments. Plus, it takes place at the Smithsonian, and as someone who grew up in the D.C. area, that's kind of cool. Anyway, if you're on the fence about seeing it, check out the trailer here.
- Kevin Smith and Mitch Albom? Now that's a pairing I never thought I would see. But Kevin Smith doing a hockey movie? If you listen to Smodcast and have heard him get moved to tears talking about Wayne Gretsky, then that's not a shock at all.
- They mentioned The Royal Tenenbaums, so this list is okay by me: Cinematical Seven - Favorite Con Men (and Ladies).
- You guys, I love Who Framed Roger Rabbit?. And Die Hard? Come on. The summer of '88 was a good time to go to the movies.
Honestly, if you did participate in the auction and win one of the lunches, what would you say to the person? I've been tongue-tied in front of celebrities before, when I was much younger. Would you simply ask how they're doing? Would you try to promote that script you've been working on for year? Would you have to buy the lunch, or would the celebrity pay?
- Freddy Krueger: Registered Offender. This Halloween, we take the time to reflect on what it would be like if a horribly-disfigured man who kills children in their dreams moves into your neighborhood.
- Not all Halloween movies have to be creepy; some are just ... unsettling. Check out the Cinematical Seven: Plain Old Creepy Flicks.
- Speaking of creepy, check out photos from the new Sam Raimi movie, Drag Me To Hell. They made my neck tingle ... in a bad way.
- Do you have an idea for your own Halloween movie (or any other film, for that matter)? If so, Details magazine wants to hear it. Find out how you can pitch them your idea and get your movie made.
- It may not be a horror movie, but it does open on Halloween and I am super-stoked: Zack and Miri Make a Porno finally opens! Check out Cinematical's interviews with Kevin Smith.
After a log day of being in Hall H and Ballroom 20, things started to come to an end for the busiest day of the 'Con with the Battlestar Galactica panel. Basically, if didn't already have your arse planted in a seat in Ballroom 20 for that panel, you weren't getting to see BSG. I'm either completely dedicated to the coverage for TV Squad or a complete fanboy for the show. I submit that I'm likely both.
I'm not going to post the full, detailed report yet, as Sci Fi has told me we'll have embeddable video to show you soon (here it is on SciFI.com). Seriously, there's no way I can put to justice the funny job that Kevin Smith did as moderator -- you have to see and hear it for yourself. I will, however, submit to you the highlights for now.
For those of you attending Comic-Con in San Diego, my hat is off to you. After looking at the schedule for the opening day, Thursday, July 24th, it is a wonder that your eyes don't grow glassy and that vein on the side of your temple doesn't throb with all of the events listed for that day. For those of you not attending, you may be breathing a sigh of relief that you won't have to decide what to attend and what to miss.
Granted, we here at TV Squad are only going to Comic-Con to cover the television-related events. Still, there are quite a few of them going on Thursday, starting when the convention opens and ending as the next day creeps into the night. Panels cover the gamut: public television shows, show revivals, anniversary panels about shows that have been revived, and Robert Smigel. So, if you are going, bring some comfortable shoes, plenty of snacks, and a ton of questions.
If you are not going, but are still interested in seeing what's going on in San Diego, here is a list of TV-related events for the first day of the convention. If you are interested in the complete list of events you can go to Spout blog for Thursday's full Comic-Con schedule.
Our resident Spaced-nut Annie mentioned the upcoming region 1 DVD set back in March. If you haven't seen the show, just the fact that it's coming out is reason enough to go pick it up. It really is as good as everyone says. But if you have seen the show, it looks like this one will be worth checking out for you as well.
As I was going about my workday, a little blurb popped up on twitter from Diablo Cody that said, "SPACED (The ORIGINAL!) is coming out on DVD soon! (And a lucky bitch named Diablo Cody got to contribute commentary.)" That's interesting enough, and you should check out her Twitter feed. It's an entertaining read. Even better though, she goes on to add that we can also expect commentary from Bill Hader, Patton Oswalt, Quentin Tarentino, Matt Stone, and Kevin Smith. Sign me up for that.
A curious search later, Google sent me to spaced-out.org.uk, which confirms the commentary and goes into further detail about the extras included on the new set. They also have some fun quotes about the show from J.J. Abrams, Kevin Smith and Matt Stone.
(S01E09) "I feel like the weirdest drug dealer of all time." -- Bert "Sock" Wysocki
If there were a country populated by MILFs, Julie Cooper would be the President. I never realized how much I missed Melinda Clarke until tonight. She must have a great time running down her resume for people..."I've played a dominatrix, a scheming predator of high school boys and the devil's girlfriend."
This was definitely one of the busiest Reaper episodes ever. Finding out who the escaped soul was took a heck of a lot of shoe leather, and while Ben, Sock, and Sam were out searching, I finally figured out who they remind me of ... a sort of weird, dysfunctional, and gender-unbalanced version of the Mystery Machine gang from Scooby-Doo.
We also have a couple of other giveaways today that end this coming Saturday, so give those a chance as well. Good luck!
First, we have five copies of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia seasons 1 & 2 on DVD.
Second, we have three copies of season three of The Office on DVD.
Lastly, ending next Tuesday is our giveaway of a Kevin Smith signed Reaper poster.
To enter, visit any of those links I posted above, read the rules and post the applicable comment. Good luck and have a good long weekend (to those lucky enough to have one.) Check back next Monday for more giveaway goodness!
The initial news we got was via a message board post left on Sci-Fi's forums by the wife of executive producer and creator Ron Moore (thanks commenter Akbar!) Given that there were some people less than thrilled to hear of Smith's involvement with the show, I wanted to get confirmation myself first in case of shenanigans, thus the wait. Unfortunately my contacts couldn't get official word themselves, most likely because even Moore himself has come out to say it's not that big of news, something that "only registers on message boards."
UPDATE: Smith talks about it on his own blog.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'NCIS' Episode 12.2 Photos: NFL Star Tony Gonzalez Guest Stars
- 'The Strain' Season 1 Episode Photos
- 'Big Brother 16' Spoilers: Who Won Part 2 of the Final HoH Competition?
- 'America's Next Top Model' Cycle 21 Epsode 6 Photos: The Art of the Hair Flip
- 'Big Brother 16' Clip Show Recap: The Final 3 Look Back at the Season
- More From BuddyTV
- TVLine's Performers of the Week (tie): Jenna Coleman and Tobias Menzies
- Summer TV's 25 Winners and Losers: True Blood, OITNB, Outlander and More
- NCIS Casts 24 Alum Marisol Nichols as a Blast from DiNozzo's Past
- The Blacklist Season 2 Trailer Teases Red Vs. Berlin Showdown
- Grey's Anatomy: April's Mom Is Coming to Town — But There's a Twist!
- More From TVLine
- Luke Bryan Makes a Dying Teenager's Wish Come True
- 'Madam Secretary' Review: A Solid Start for Téa Leoni's Political Drama
- Exclusive Clip: Did 'Angels' Save Woman from Plane Disaster?
- Fall TV Showdown: It's Time to Vote For Your Favorites in the Elite 8!
- Keyshia Cole Arrested in Los Angeles
- More From ET