Saturday mornings. For nearly thirty years this small window of time was considered paradise for millions of children across America. With the parents snug in their beds, and a big bowl of sugary cereal precariously placed on the carpet, it was the only time -- long before the invent of 24-hour cable networks -- that children's shows ruled the airwaves. No karate/ballet/piano/soccer lessons back then; parents were lucky to get their kids to go for bathroom breaks during that period of time.
For many it's a time of very fond memories. Some recall radio favorites like Sky King and The Lone Ranger going from their imagination to the small screen. Others remember their first introduction to Space Ghost or Scooby-Doo. Still others, like myself, recall the latter days of Saturday morning programming with shows like The Smurfs, Dungeons & Dragons and Saved by the Bell.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- Best 'Suits' Quotes from 'This is Rome'
- Meet the Contestants of 'Hell's Kitchen' Season 13
- 'So You Think You Can Dance' Season 11: Top 6 Performance Rankings
- 'RHOC': Get Ready for a 'Mellow' to 'Out of Hand' Reunion
- Julianne Hough Returns to 'Dancing with the Stars' as Fourth Judge
- More From BuddyTV
- Pretty Little Liars First Look: 'Fatal' Summer Finale Claims Its First Victim
- TVLine Items: Wonderland Genie Joins Tut, Syfy's Expanse Adds 24 Vet & More
- Reckless Sneak Peek: Will Jamie Give Love a Second Chance?
- Ratings: SYTYCD and Talent Slip to New Lows, Extant Steady, Motive Rises
- Grey's Boss Shonda Rhimes Drops Bombshell: 'I'm Not Going to Say Derek and Meredith Are Never Breaking Up'
- More From TVLine
- Jon Hamm on His Hometown Ferguson: 'It's Rough to Watch'
- Chris Pratt Dresses Up as 'GOTG' Character for Children's Hospital Patients
- MTV VMAs 101: Everything You Need to Know About Sunday's Show
- EXCLUSIVE: The 'Revenge' Cast is Tipsy in These Hilarious Season 3 Bloopers!
- Tina Knowles Comments on Beyonce and Jay Z Split Rumors
- More From ET