TNT is kicking off a new Mystery Movie Night, starting with Scott Turow's 'Innocent' (premieres Tues., Nov. 29, 9PM ET), starring Bill Pullman as a man charged with murdering his wife, played by Marcia Gay Harden, and Alfred Molina as his defense attorney. In honor of this series of best-selling whodunit stories brought to the small screen, we rounded up the smartest detectives in TV history.
From an OCD gumshoe-for-hire to a no-nonsense Scotland Yard sleuth, a sassy high-school snoop and a P.I. with facial hair as famous as he was, check out our gallery of the top 20 smartest TV detectives of all time.
Do your keen powers of perception tell you we've missed someone? Add your own favorites in the comments.
New season releases on these 10 shows have been missing for a long time, but if you're a fan don't give up hope. Both 'Leave it to Beaver' and 'The Mary Tyler Moore Show' are now back on track after years of non-activity, so anything is possible.
Some of them work beautifully, some don't (the Heroes and Mad Men posters are a bit disappointing). Besides this very, very clever Two and a Half Men poster, I've picked a couple of my favorites and they're after the jump.
Our list of the best shows of the '70s features many of the best shows of all time (here's looking at you, 'Mary Tyler Moore Show,' 'M*A*S*H' and 'Taxi'). Take a gander and let us know if you agree.
But AOL TV's picks of the top TV dramas include the most brilliant doctors and lawyers, the angst-iest teens, sci-fi series that transcend their genre molds, family dramas that both warm and break your heart, terrorist- and mobster-fighting heroes ... and a show that combined the best of family and gangster drama into one unforgettable series.
Click through to see all 50 of the best TV dramas of all time.
I remember when I was a kid and I saw a bald man I always thought, "He must be old." As I've become an adult, I have been lucky enough to keep my thick head of hair but it's clear that baldness is no longer something to be embarrassed about. In fact, there are a number of bald men on television who are quite adept at getting things done. Here are my top ten toughest bald guys on television.
10. Chris Turk (Scrubs)
While Turk wouldn't be considered a tough guy by most standards, I think he deserved to be on this list for a couple of reasons. First, Turk chooses to be bald. Sure, his hair is thin but at some point he decided to shave his head and I applaud his choice. More importantly, Turk is a surgeon, a father and the husband of a very hot lady. If that isn't an example of how to get it done, I don't know what is.
A roundup of TV people from in front of the camera and behind the scenes who have passed away.
- Richard Widmark: He was best known to TV viewers as the star of the NBC detective series Madigan in the 1970s. It was a spinoff of a movie of the same name. He also appeared in the miniseries Benjamin Franklin and in several TV movies, including Cold Sassy Tree, A Gathering of Old Men, Brock's Last Case, and Vanished, and also made a guest appearance as himself in one of the classic I Love Lucy episodes set in Hollywood. He made his debut on the big screen in the film noir classic Kiss of Death and went on to star in dozens of other films, including Night and the City, No Way Out, Don't Bother To Knock, Warlock, The Alamo, The Bedford Incident, Broken Lance, Murder on the Orient Express, Twilight's Last Gleaming, Coma, Against All Odds, and many more. He got an Oscar nomination for his role in Kiss of Death.He died in Connecticut at age 93 after a long illness.
A new weekly feature here at TV Squad, as we list some recent deaths of those involved with TV, on screen and behind the scenes.
- Roscoe Lee Browne: The veteran actor appeared in a number of TV shows, including All in the Family, Benson, Columbo, Mannix, The Invaders, Will and Grace, and a voice actor in cartoons. He was a classically trained film and theater actor as well. He died April 11 in L.A. of cancer at age 81.
- Stan Daniels: He co-created Taxi and won several Emmys for that show and his writing on The Mary Tyler Moore Show. He died of heart failure on April 6 at age 72.
Actor Pat Corley was probably best known as Phil, the gruff owner of the bar where the Murphy Brown hung out all the time. But he had a long career in TV and movies.
Besides appearances on tons of TV shows, from Kojak and Starsky and Hutch and Magnum, P.I. and Hill Street Blues, he was also in several movies, including Coming Home, The Onion Field, The Rose, and Night Shift. Corley actually started out as a ballet dancer!
Corley died earlier this week after coronary stent surgery.
Veteran actor Bruno Kirby, who viewers of Entourage saw just a couple of weeks ago on the show, has died of leukemia. He was diagnosed with the disease recently, and died on Monday.
Most people will know Kirby from his roles in When Harry Met Sally... and City Slickers, playing Billy Crystal's best friend in both films, but he had a ton of film and TV roles, including Good Morning, Vietnam, Donnie Brasco, Hoffa, Sleepers, and This Is Spinal Tap. His long TV resume includes guest spots on Frasier, It's Garry Shandling's Show, Tales From The Crypt, Columbo, Homicide, Mad About You, Kojak, Emergency, Room 222, and M*A*S*H.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Orphan Black' Postmortem: Co-Creators on [Spoiler's] Death, Team Hendrix's 'Suburban Madness' and More
- 'Orphan Black' Recap: Everyone Wants the Original Samples
- '20/20' Highlights from the Bruce Jenner Interview
- 'Revenge': Victoria Grayson's 10 Fiercest Moments
- 'The Amazing Race' Recap: Hot Tubs and Missing Shoes Confuse the Teams in Amsterdam
- More From BuddyTV
- Cecily Strong's Best Zingers From the White House Correspondents' Dinner
- Orphan Black Recap: Broken Boys
- Outlander Recap: Homecoming Sting
- NCIS: Los Angeles Sneak Peek: Deeks and Kensi Are Mistaken for [Spoiler]
- Revenge Goes Pink, The Goldbergs Find 'Somebody to Love' and More TV Tunes
- More From TVLine
- Bruce Jenner's Family Show Their Support on Social Media
- Star Sightings April 2015
- Internal Investigation Into Brian Williams Finds At Least 11 More Reporting 'Embellishments'
- Ariana Grande & Lea Michele Mess Around on 'Scream Queens' Set
- EXCLUSIVE: Bruce Jenner's Second Wife Linda Thompson Commends ABC Interview
- More From ET