Ending the late night rerun flood, Yahoo! reports that Last Call With Carson Daly will start taping new episodes this week, which should be ready for air next week. With his compatriots still in reruns, Daly will have the run of the late night landscape. Maybe for his first new episode his guest roster can include Jay Leno, David Letterman, Conan O'Brien, Jimmy Kimmel, Craig Ferguson, Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert.
I love checking out NBC and CBS' channels over on YouTube, and it's not because I'm necessarily a big fan of the programming on either of those networks. Sure, they have quality programming just like anyone else, but when it comes to their late night programming, I don't pay much attention (except for Conan, he gets Tivoed every night).
"Uh, which show is it?" we asked warily, knowing that any of NBC's popular shows have audience lines going out the door.
"Last Call with Carson Daly!" the probable intern chirpily replied.
"No thanks," we said dismissively, as if she was a Hare Krishna in a banana suit holding out cupons for free smoothies. The dejected intern went to go beg other rubes (oops, I mean visitors) to see her boss' show.
That's what I think of when I think of Last Call, even after it moved to Los Angeles: it's a show that can't even find enough people to fill its studio audience, much less watch it on TV. I mean, really, it's on at 1:30 in the morning. At this point of the night, only hallucinating insomniacs, stoned college students, and people who drink coffee at 11:00 at night (like I did tonight) are watching the show.
So why do I see reasonably decent stars booked on the show? Tonight, for instance is my girl Sarah Chalke from Scrubs and singer Ben Harper (who's actually there all week). Do either of these people need the tiny amount of publicity being on a talk show at 1:30 in the morning brings? What's drawing them to Carson? My mind is boggling, but I might just be coming down from the caffeine. If anyone knows, please tell me in the comments.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- ?So You Think You Can Dance? Season 11: Top 16 Performance Rankings
- 'America's Got Talent' Recap: Next Stop...Radio City Music Hall!
- 'Graceland' Recap: Paige Goes Through Hell
- 'Suits' Recap: Harvey (Sort of) Breaks a Sweat
- 'Extant' Recap: Spilling Secrets, Covert Experiments, and a Mysterious Party Crasher
- More From BuddyTV
- Extant Recap: Crappy Birthday to You
- Mircea Monroe, Aimee Garcia Join Michael Rosenbaum in TV Land Pilot
- Dominion's Roxanne McKee Teases Big Changes: 'Claire's Innocence Is Lost'
- New Girl Scoop: Jessica Biel Cast as Jess' New Nemesis
- Game Night Preview: 'What People Help Their Necks to Be Not Cold'?
- More From TVLine
- EXCLUSIVE: Kelsey Grammer's Wife Kayte Gives Birth to Their Second Child
- 'Fifty Shades of Grey': Watch the Super Sexy First Trailer Now!
- Jake Gyllenhaal Is SUPER Creepy In New 'Nightcrawler' Trailer
- Justin Bieber Teases 11 New Songs On Instagram
- One Direction Celebrates Four Years Of Making Fans Cry (In A Good Way)
- More From ET