To no one's surprise, Jay Leno's much-heralded return to 'The Tonight Show' on Monday was a ratings success, at least according to early overnight numbers. According to the Hollywood Reporter, advance numbers show Leno winning his timeslot with a 5.4 rating in metered market households and a rating of 2.0 among adults 18-49. That easily beat the 3.0 household rating for 'The Late Show With David Letterman' on CBS and the ABC ratings (cited by Entertainment Weekly) of 3.4 for 'Nightline' and 1.8 for 'Jimmy Kimmel Live.'
Leno's return had coattails too. Following 'Tonight,' NBC's 'Late Night With Jimmy Fallon' posted a 2.1 rating, twice its fourth-quarter 2009 average and enough to beat usual timeslot victor 'The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson' by 40 percent.
Leno even mocked his return with an opening skit paying tribute to 'The Wizard of Oz,' in which he awoke saying, "There's no place like home." Eventually, Betty White who brought him back to reality.
Also, enjoy this unveiling of the new cover on last night's 'Late Show with David Letterman.' WARNING: don't remove your pants until the very end of the video.
The real challenge will be for Jimmy Fallon, Conan's Late Night successor, who hasn't had much TV time since he left Saturday Night Live for a movie career that made Chevy Chase's lineup look Lawrence Olivier-ian.
Variety reports that Fallon will first test the airwaves' waters instead of doing a full-blown cannonball by starring in some "webisodes" on NBC.com starting Monday.
Jay Leno has been getting some heat for refusing to have Democratic Gubernatorial candidate Phil Angelides on his show after having Republican Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger on many times, and now he's getting a, um, different kind of heat from another person in the race...porn star Mary Carey.
The buxom woman wants equal time on Leno's show, but Leno hasn't made any comment about it yet. Carey says that she is a very popular search term on the web, so that proves her popularity. Of course, how many of those people are in California? She says "our polling results have shown my name to be more recognizable than any other candidate in the race." I doubt her name is more known than Ahnuld's, but feel free to laugh like Beavis and Butthead when you read the words "polling results." Heh heh heh heh heh.
She ran for Governor in 2003, but this year she got her teeth replaced and got new breast implants.
- Charlie Rose: WSJ columnist Walter Mossberg, and NetFlix CEO Reed Hastings (repeat)
- The Late Show With David Letterman: Steve Martin, Michael Sessions, and the Teutuls (repeat)
- Jay Leno: George Clooney, Steve Schirripa, and Trey Anastasio (repeat)
- Jimmy Kimmel Live: Cedric the Entertainmer and Kenny Chesney (repeat)
- Late Night With Conan O'Brien: Ben MacKenzie, Jarod Miller, and David Feldman (repeat)
- The Late, Late Show With Craig Ferguson: Dennis Quaid, Bill Nye, and Brian Stokes (repeat)
- Last Call With Carson Daly: George Lopez, Natasha Bedingfield, and Big Bad Voodoo Daddy (repeat)
- Charlie Rose: director Rob Marshall and actress Diane Keaton
- The Late Show With David Letterman: Jay Thomas and Darlene Love
- Jay Leno: Sienna Miller, Gary Gulman, and the Paulist Chorists of California
- Jimmy Kimmel Live: Ryan Seacrest and Brian Wilson
- Late Night With Conan O'Brien: Bonnie Hunt, Matthew Broderick, and the John Mayer Trio
- The Late, Late Show With Craig Ferguson: Regis Philbin, Katey Segal, Colin Hanks, and Brian McKnight
- Last Call With Carson Daly: Johnny Knoxville, 311, and Roselyn Sanchez
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Orphan Black' Postmortem: Co-Creators on [Spoiler's] Death, Team Hendrix's 'Suburban Madness' and More
- 'Orphan Black' Recap: Everyone Wants the Original Samples
- '20/20' Highlights from the Bruce Jenner Interview
- 'Revenge': Victoria Grayson's 10 Fiercest Moments
- 'The Amazing Race' Recap: Hot Tubs and Missing Shoes Confuse the Teams in Amsterdam
- More From BuddyTV
- Cecily Strong's Best Zingers From the White House Correspondents' Dinner
- Orphan Black Recap: Broken Boys
- Outlander Recap: Homecoming Sting
- NCIS: Los Angeles Sneak Peek: Deeks and Kensi Are Mistaken for [Spoiler]
- Revenge Goes Pink, The Goldbergs Find 'Somebody to Love' and More TV Tunes
- More From TVLine
- Bruce Jenner's Family Show Their Support on Social Media
- Star Sightings April 2015
- Internal Investigation Into Brian Williams Finds At Least 11 More Reporting 'Embellishments'
- Ariana Grande & Lea Michele Mess Around on 'Scream Queens' Set
- EXCLUSIVE: Bruce Jenner's Second Wife Linda Thompson Commends ABC Interview
- More From ET