(S02E03) "No, I'm not growing a douche tag!" - Sam to Ben when he suggests Sam grow a soul patch
The only way I can begin this review is... yay Reaper! The first two episodes this season were enjoyable and got me back into the Reaper spirit. Tonight's episode raised the game; the writers went beyond hitting their stride and hit it out of the park.
You think that's too strong a stance for this episode? Come, explore with me, if you will, the finer points of tonight's episode....
However, there's a twist: this time it's the call letters of a small TV station. WBQC-TV has changed it's call letters to WKRP-TV. I can already sense the backlash that this move will inspire, fans of the show calling it "lame" and rival TV stations saying that they must have been "desperate" to make such a move. Personally, I think it's a great idea. I'm not saying that they have to start recreating episodes of the show at their station - especially not the turkey flying one - but this could give the station some buzz and identity.
Now, if they're smart, they'll try to run reruns of WKRP in Cincinnati on the station. Has that ever been done before, a TV station running a show that has the same name as the TV station itself?
I'm talking about the famous "Turkey Drop" scene from WKRP in Cincinnati, of course. The reason why it is the best is not what we actually saw, but what was implied by reporter Les Nessman. If anything, the way the scene played out hearkened back to the golden days of radio and the "theater of the mind".
In this episode, entitled "Turkeys Away" and originally broadcast back in October of 1978, Mr. Carlson believes that the station needs a Thanksgiving promotion. So, he decides to have turkeys dropped from a helicopter flying above a shopping mall. What he doesn't realize is that turkeys aren't the greatest fliers, especially while being dropped from 2000 feet in the air. What results is a disaster. Nothing worse to ruin your holiday than a 20 or 30 pound turkey crashing into your car windshield from several thousand feet up.
Last month I told you that WKRP In Cincinnati was being released, and now it's (almost) official.
A retailer has given info to TVShowsonDVD.com about the first season set. It will be released on April 3 and will include several extras, including two different commentaries (on the pilot and the "Johnny Comes Back" episode) by cast and crew members, a "Making Of" feature, a feature on Dr. Johnny Fever, and a behind the scenes look at the classic Thanksgiving episode where Mr. Carlson thought turkeys could fly.
This is very cool news. Hopefully they've cleared up most of the music rights issues that were holding up the release of the set. And it's good to see the cast actually doing some commentaries. I've been watching some sets lately (Magnum, P.I., Kate & Allie) that are good but have no commentaries from the cast, and that's a shame.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- TV's 25 Sexiest Women of the New Fall 2014 Season
- 'Under the Dome': 17 Shocking Moments from 'The Fall'
- Death Watch 2014: What Will Be the First New Fall Show to Get Cancelled?
- 'America's Next Top Model' Recap: Party String and a Cold Shower Spell Trouble
- 'Teen Wolf' Recap: What Will Scott Become?
- More From BuddyTV
- Scandal Season 4 Poster Warns There's 'No Looking Back' for Olivia
- Ratings: Dome Hits Low, Ninja Ticks Up, Mistresses Down Vs. Previous Finale
- TVLine Items: General Hospital Recasts Jason, OITNB Star Is Faking It & More
- The Walking Dead Season 5 Poster Declares: 'Hunt or Be Hunted'
- Fall TV Spectacular: Exclusive Scoop and Photos on 42 Returning Favorites!
- More From TVLine
- Justin Bieber Arrested During ATV Date With Selena Gomez, Charged With Assault
- Britney Spears Puts Cheating Ex on Blast During Las Vegas Show
- CeeLo Green Deletes Twitter Account After Rape Tweet
- Exclusive Duggar Clip: Jill & Derek Visit Cancer-Stricken Mom on '19 Kids'
- Supermodels Unite! Cara Delevingne and Kate Moss Team Up for Burberry
- More From ET