This past Saturday, the 59th Annual Creative Emmy Awards were given out and aside from a few exceptions, the winners were no surprise.
The biggest event of the night came when American Idol won its first Emmy ever for "Outstanding Technical Direction." The spectacular "Idol Gives Back" episode was responsible for the Emmy, specifically the duet between Celine Dion and the late Elvis Presley. The honor is of particular interest because it gives AI a break in the second biggest losing streak in Emmy history, 22 losses. The record of 25 nominations without a win is still held by Newhart.
Don't get me wrong- Det. Beck is an interesting character. She's definitely a fish out of water in the Special Victims Unit with her intense approach to investigations. She's used to chasing down bad guys who have warrants out for their arrests, not taking time to talk to a victim of a sex crime. She's rude to most of the victims but, predictably, learns a little bit about investigations when she interviews a beautiful, elderly French woman, played by Leslie Caron, at the end. (I think Caron's agonizing performance was most memorable) We also learn that Beck is from Denmark, which explains the real-life accent, and that her husband was a NYPD cop who was murdered.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- ABC Eyes Amy Schumer as Next 'Bachelorette'
- 'Aquarius' Review: A Fascinating Look Inside Charles Manson's Twisted World
- 'Bones' Teasers: 7 Good Things to Watch for in "The Woman in the Whirlpool"
- 'Aquarius' Official Cast and Premiere Photos
- 'MasterChef': Surprise! Your Kitchen Comes Back to Haunt You
- More From BuddyTV
- CBS' Briefcase Premiere: Did We Just See the Only 'Acceptable' Outcome?
- Smash's Broadway Event Expands! Who's Joining Ellis (!) in Bombshell?
- Golan the Insatiable Sneak Peek: Rob Riggle, Aubrey Plaza Preview Their Twisted Monster-Child Friendship
- Denise Richards Going Full Cougar for New CW Comedy Significant Mother
- Longmire Season 4: Ally Walker Lands Mystery Role, as Series Heads to Netflix
- More From TVLine
- Natalie Portman Recalls 'Heartbreak' and 'Difficult Times' at Harvard
- Kanye and North West Join Kim Kardashian's Game, But They Don't Look Like Themselves
- Michael King, Man Behind Oprah and Dr. Phil's Shows, Dies at 66
- Hollywood's Sexiest Shirtless Men March 2014
- Chris Pratt Recites the Pledge of Allegiance With His Son and It's the Best Thing You'll See All Day!
- More From ET