May 27, 2015
by Jason Hughes, posted Apr 14th 2010 1:03PM
(S01E05) Ah, family. Probably the one thing Raylan didn't want to have to deal with upon his return to Kentucky. Unfortunately, a stakeout brought him to Harlan, where his father and stepmother live and operate. For the first time since 'Justified' premiered, we got a huge dose of the Givens family drama Raylan was running away from in the first place.
Can't say as I blame him. Family is always family, but if I had someone like Raylan's father Arlo to deal with in my family, I don't know how I'd handle it. Both Timothy Olyphant and Raymond J. Barry, as Arlo, did a masterful job of showing the layers of complexity in their relationship throughout the episode.
The hurt and frustration Raylan went through as a child never quite left him, and while there are traces of guilt and regret in Arlo, there's so much more of him that's never bothered to change and never quite will.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Bones' Exclusive Interview: The Writers Talk Brennan and Booth's Future and a Whirlpool Death
- Did 'Kardashians' Star Bruce Jenner Undergo Sex Change Surgery?
- 'The Bachelorette' Family Blog: Kupah's Big Meltdown
- 'iZombie' Recap: Major Uncovers a Shocking Secret
- 'America's Got Talent' Season 10 Premiere Recap: Unassuming Acts Shine as the Auditions Begin
- More From BuddyTV
- Ratings: 5th Grader, Weight Loss and America's Got Talent Return Down
- The Good Wife: Archie Panjabi Doesn't Deny Kalinda/Alicia Scene Was Faked
- Amy Schumer 'Defends' Bill Cosby in Court of Public Opinion — Watch Video
- America's Got Talent Premiere: Howie Shakes Hands & More Big Moments — Plus: Who Got the First Golden Buzzer?
- Aquarius: David Duchovny, Cast Talk 'Tragic' Charles Manson Drama
- More From TVLine