September 2, 2014
by Jason Hughes, posted Apr 14th 2010 1:03PM
(S01E05) Ah, family. Probably the one thing Raylan didn't want to have to deal with upon his return to Kentucky. Unfortunately, a stakeout brought him to Harlan, where his father and stepmother live and operate. For the first time since 'Justified' premiered, we got a huge dose of the Givens family drama Raylan was running away from in the first place.
Can't say as I blame him. Family is always family, but if I had someone like Raylan's father Arlo to deal with in my family, I don't know how I'd handle it. Both Timothy Olyphant and Raymond J. Barry, as Arlo, did a masterful job of showing the layers of complexity in their relationship throughout the episode.
The hurt and frustration Raylan went through as a child never quite left him, and while there are traces of guilt and regret in Arlo, there's so much more of him that's never bothered to change and never quite will.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- True Blood's Anna Camp Casts an Evil Spell on Disney's Sofia — First Photos
- Major Crimes Casts Pretty Little Alum Torrey DeVitto as [Spoiler]'s Daughter
- John Stamos Lands Leading Role on Members Only Country Club Drama
- Scandal Season 4 Poster Warns There's 'No Looking Back' for Olivia
- Ratings: Dome Hits Low, Ninja Ticks Up, Mistresses Down Vs. Previous Finale
- More From TVLine
- Former Lead Singer of Survivor Jimi Jamison Dead at 63
- Teenage Katy Perry Sings and Cries in New Footage from Her First Tour
- Justin Bieber Arrested During ATV Date With Selena Gomez, Charged With Assault
- Angelina Jolie Has the Most Unique Wedding Dress Ever
- Joan Rivers Remains on Life Support Says Daughter Melissa in New Statement
- More From ET