March 4, 2015
by Jason Hughes, posted Apr 14th 2010 1:03PM
(S01E05) Ah, family. Probably the one thing Raylan didn't want to have to deal with upon his return to Kentucky. Unfortunately, a stakeout brought him to Harlan, where his father and stepmother live and operate. For the first time since 'Justified' premiered, we got a huge dose of the Givens family drama Raylan was running away from in the first place.
Can't say as I blame him. Family is always family, but if I had someone like Raylan's father Arlo to deal with in my family, I don't know how I'd handle it. Both Timothy Olyphant and Raymond J. Barry, as Arlo, did a masterful job of showing the layers of complexity in their relationship throughout the episode.
The hurt and frustration Raylan went through as a child never quite left him, and while there are traces of guilt and regret in Arlo, there's so much more of him that's never bothered to change and never quite will.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- American Idol: The Top 24's Motown Week Song Choices Revealed!
- Catfish's Nev Schulman Grades 7 of TV's Top Impostors from Arrow to PLL
- Grey's Anatomy Preview: How Are April and Jackson Weathering Their Loss?
- Pilot Scoop: Giovanni Ribisi Lands Title Role in CBS Drama Sneaky Pete
- House of Cards Season 3 Premiere Recap: 19 Must-See Moments
- More From TVLine
- David Beckham Embarrasses His Son Brooklyn With a Super Sweet Happy 16th Birthday Message
- 'The Osbournes' Mysterious Daughter Returns With an Amazing Voice and Creepy Music Video
- Idiot Criminal Gets Arrested After Taunting Police on Facebook
- A Shirtless Justin Bieber Covers 'Men's Health,' Talks Growing Up Too Fast
- Karrueche Tran Responds to Reports That Chris Brown Has a 9-Month-Old Daughter
- More From ET