April 23, 2014
by Jason Hughes, posted Apr 14th 2010 1:03PM
(S01E05) Ah, family. Probably the one thing Raylan didn't want to have to deal with upon his return to Kentucky. Unfortunately, a stakeout brought him to Harlan, where his father and stepmother live and operate. For the first time since 'Justified' premiered, we got a huge dose of the Givens family drama Raylan was running away from in the first place.
Can't say as I blame him. Family is always family, but if I had someone like Raylan's father Arlo to deal with in my family, I don't know how I'd handle it. Both Timothy Olyphant and Raymond J. Barry, as Arlo, did a masterful job of showing the layers of complexity in their relationship throughout the episode.
The hurt and frustration Raylan went through as a child never quite left him, and while there are traces of guilt and regret in Arlo, there's so much more of him that's never bothered to change and never quite will.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- Sirens Sneak Peek: Will Johnny and Hank Allow Brian Into 'The Neutral Zone'?
- Exclusive Simpsons Promo: Homer Falls to Pieces in Special LEGO Episode
- What's Next For MTV's Faking It? The Stars Talk Secrets, Sacrifices and a 'Lesbian Sherpa'
- Pilot News: Meg Ryan to Narrate HIMYM Spin-Off How I Met Your Dad
- Exclusive Vikings Sneak Peek: Will King Horik Turn Floki Against Ragnar?
- More From TVLine
- 'Sorcerer': How Making a Movie Masterpiece Became an Obsession
- Warm-Weather Looks Inspired by H'Wood Fashion Icons
- Watch Paul Walker's Unseen 'Brick Mansions' Fight Training Tapes (video)
- Exclusive: Casting the Ultimate Beauty for the Perfect 'Machine' (video)
- Neil Patrick Harris Talks Heels & Glitter at Broadway Opening of 'Hedwig'
- More From ET