October 8, 2015
by Jason Hughes, posted Apr 14th 2010 1:03PM
(S01E05) Ah, family. Probably the one thing Raylan didn't want to have to deal with upon his return to Kentucky. Unfortunately, a stakeout brought him to Harlan, where his father and stepmother live and operate. For the first time since 'Justified' premiered, we got a huge dose of the Givens family drama Raylan was running away from in the first place.
Can't say as I blame him. Family is always family, but if I had someone like Raylan's father Arlo to deal with in my family, I don't know how I'd handle it. Both Timothy Olyphant and Raymond J. Barry, as Arlo, did a masterful job of showing the layers of complexity in their relationship throughout the episode.
The hurt and frustration Raylan went through as a child never quite left him, and while there are traces of guilt and regret in Arlo, there's so much more of him that's never bothered to change and never quite will.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'The Vampire Diaries' Episode 7.4 Photos: The Heaven and Hell Ball
- 'Scandal' Recap: How to Handle the Affair
- 'How to Get Away with Murder' Episode 2.4 Photos: What Does Wes Find Out About Rebecca's 'Disappearance'?
- 'Bones' Recap: A Grieving and Ballsy Hero Comes Home
- 'Arrow' Season 4 Premiere: 17 Shocking Moments from 'Green Arrow'
- More From BuddyTV
- What is Lupus, and Why Would Selena Gomez Get Chemo for It?
- Someone in a Dinosaur Costume Totally Aced This 'American Ninja Warrior' Course
- Nick Cannon's Kids Took Him to Chuck E. Cheese's for His 35th Birthday and It's Adorable
- Snooki Gets Candid About Her Post-Birth Bod: It Was 'Just a Big, Black Hole'
- Joseph Gordon-Levitt on Life as a New Dad: 'It Makes Me Really Happy'
- More From ET